Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Android4life

Default Anyone know why this is happening?

Why is Google services using so much battery. I just started using battery guru app, but I don't hunk that us the problem. Is something with the Google Chrome Beta app running those services? Is there a way to see what is causing it to run? The first picture is from this morning when I woke up. So the screen had been off most of the night. The other is from about midday yesterday.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone know why this is happening?-1375365850704.jpg   Anyone know why this is happening?-1375365865573.jpg  

Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Anyone know why this is happening?

Quote Originally Posted by fofjjsr View Post
    Why is Google services using so much battery. I just started using battery guru app, but I don't hunk that us the problem. Is something with the Google Chrome Beta app running those services? Is there a way to see what is causing it to run? The first picture is from this morning when I woke up. So the screen had been off most of the night. The other is from about midday yesterday.

That seems like a lot. Mine hardly shows up on my list (I have an S3 though), but have you tried clearing cache in recovery?

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

I *could* be, but first of all, "Google Services" is a very general process (it could reference a multitude of things), second, it *can* be normal for that service to run at a high percentage, ESPECIALLY when you're looking at such a small time frame as shown in your screen shots. It is obvious that no other apps were in use, I'd actually expect Google Services to have a very high percentage in that case.

You would definitely need to check after several hours and after using the phone normally to really verify that this service is consuming more resources than normal.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Android4life

Just never noticed it that high before is all. My battery if hasn't been quite as good either. I notice it dropping faster. Could Battery Guru be helping more than helping? I thought it was a good app.

Just never noticed it that high before is all. My battery if hasn't been quite as good either. I notice it dropping faster. Could Battery Guru be helping more than helping? I thought it was a good app.

I have Battery Guru, and it seems to work quite well. I know that on my phone, it's quite normal for "Google Services" to be high, especially if my phone has spent a lot of time in standby...

Example:
    Anyone know why this is happening?-screenshot_2013-06-21-20-05-01.jpg
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    Android4life

It's probably just me monitoring more since I installed Guru. I never paid a ton of attention to battery usage until now. It just didn't look normal to me. Thanks for the replies.

Using the Big Red Samsung Galaxy S4

Mine randomly started doing this also and was really draining my battery (almost half of what I was previously getting). I turned off Google Now and it stopped. Now it only shows about 8% of battery drain as opposed to the over 30% it was showing. Not sure why it started having this problem. I like Google Now, but I like battery life more.

I have not tried turning Now back on since and I do not use any battery apps.

Besides that, I get a solid days charge.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    Android4life

Quote Originally Posted by Seth_Overbury View Post
    Mine randomly started doing this also and was really draining my battery (almost half of what I was previously getting). I turned off Google Now and it stopped. Now it only shows about 8% of battery drain as opposed to the over 30% it was showing. Not sure why it started having this problem. I like Google Now, but I like battery life more.

I have not tried turning Now back on since and I do not use any battery apps.

Besides that, I get a solid days charge.
    Does Google Now have its own process? Because I use its voice function all the time. I hope it's suddenly not a battery drain.

Does Google Now have its own process? Because I use its voice function all the time. I hope it's suddenly not a battery drain.

Google Now will use a bunch of processes, including Google Services, location services and others. Turning off Google Now will definitely save battery. The voice function is a feature of Google Search, you don't need to have the full Google Now enabled to use it.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    Android4life

So how would I deactivate Google Now specifically?

Off the top of my head...

Go to Google Now/Google Search, hit the menu button, choose "Settings", and set Google Now to "off"

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Belly 10.3

Turning off location services can help too. The option to use wifi to determine location uses a lot of resources. I left Google Now on and just turned off the location option and it has made a noticeable impact.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk HD

Go into Now and then settings. Turn off 'Google Now-All Cards' option at the top. This will then also give you the option to turn off Location History. You'll want to check that box too.

Its a nice feature, but it uses a ton of location services which show up under Google Services. I think it is not worth it at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Paxdad View Post
    Turning off location services can help too. The option to use wifi to determine location uses a lot of resources. I left Google Now on and just turned off the location option and it has made a noticeable impact.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk HD
    I tried that too, but it caused my weather widget (beautiful widgets) to not update properly. Any ideas on why?
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    Android4life

I tried that too, but it caused my weather widget (beautiful widgets) to not update properly. Any ideas on why?
    It needs that function to update. My Battery Guru stopped working as soon as I turned off wifi/Google location services off.

Mine randomly started doing this also and was really draining my battery (almost half of what I was previously getting). I turned off Google Now and it stopped. Now it only shows about 8% of battery drain as opposed to the over 30% it was showing. Not sure why it started having this problem.
    If you check your location history on Google Maps:

You might find that your battery started getting worse once it started tracking your location accurately. My battery was much better with Google Now and location history on for a while, but it, for whatever reason, assumed I was at home all the time so I'm not sure the location tracking was working right. Once it started tracking me correctly it got worse. I'd be interested to hear if others have found the same thing.

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

I've installed and uninstalled battery guru a couple times to compare with juice defender and just running the phone without any battery saving apps. I realized that my phone lasts longer without any battery saver apps. In fact, when battery guru is in its learning mode, and sometimes after that, Google services kills my battery. When I'm not using battery guru, google services never shows up for me.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by Exemplar4 View Post
    I've installed and uninstalled battery guru a couple times to compare with juice defender and just running the phone without any battery saving apps. I realized that my phone lasts longer without any battery saver apps. In fact, when battery guru is in its learning mode, and sometimes after that, Google services kills my battery. When I'm not using battery guru, google services never shows up for me.

This is because Battery Guru uses location cues to trigger actions (which show up as "Google Services" if it's using Google's location). It is possible, depending on your use, that removing battery guru could be beneficial if the power savings it creates don't outweigh the use of location services. For me, I definitely get a significant battery savings with Battery Guru app.
    Topgonzo likes this.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  
    Android4life

Ya this is what I was thinking. I never noticed Google services this ugh before Guru. Gonna uninstall it and see what happens.

Are you using it to control WiFi? My understanding is that it uses location services for that (which ironically works better with WiFi on) so if you don't have any other apps tracking your location it will be the only one and show up as "Google Services".

I've been doing some preliminary testing on how often the location on my phone is checked using the Google API and with Access Location, Location reporting and location history on it appears to check my location about once every 40-45 seconds. An interesting note is I have geofences set up in AutoLocation in Tasker (it uses the Google API to check to see if you're in a predefined area) and my location seems to be checked with about the same frequency whether I have that feature turned on or off.

Ya this is what I was thinking. I never noticed Google services this ugh before Guru. Gonna uninstall it and see what happens.

As I mentioned above, you may want to try to get a larger sample size before making any permanent conclusions. Google Services being high doesn't *necessarily* mean that it's a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by garublador View Post
    Are you using it to control WiFi? My understanding is that it uses location services for that (which ironically works better with WiFi on) so if you don't have any other apps tracking your location it will be the only one and show up as "Google Services".
    This is a good point as well.

Again, just because it's high doesn't mean its a bad thing, you need to a watch it over a few days to get a good idea of the actual rate of battery drain. As you can see in the screen shot I posted above, I was working on close 23 hours and still have ~60% battery remaining, so with results like that, I don't really care if Google Services is at the top of the list.

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

What was your screen on time though? That's what counts haha how long can you actually use your phone with the screen on. Without any battery saving apps, I get around 5 hours of screen time on an average without any charging rime between unplug and death. And that's with air view, sync, data and multiwindow enabled. Not even having the built in power saver mode turned on. Whenever I had the guru on it was down to about 3 hours so I just decided not to use anything. That's what worked for me.

I had wifi control in the Battery Guru set to off, but it still needs location services in learning mode. Because for some reason it still wants to build up that location profile of you even if you don't want to use it to control wifi. I've tried to turn off location reporting in my settings and then I got a notification from battery guru saying that it needs it. Perhaps if your battery saver app is still in learning mode the Google services drain might be high, so I'd suggest to wait it out until it's out of the learning phase and then see what happens over the course of a couple days.

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

By the way here are a couple screenshots of my battery life that I just took Anyone know why this is happening?-1375378103260.jpg

Anyone know why this is happening?-1375378123389.jpg

As you can see I'm on pace for around 5 hours of screen time
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  
    Android4life

By the way here are a couple screenshots of my battery life that I just took Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1375378103260.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	75428

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1375378123389.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	75429

As you can see I'm on pace for around 5 hours of screen time
    That is what mine looked like before battery guru

Quote Originally Posted by garublador View Post

I've been doing some preliminary testing on how often the location on my phone is checked using the Google API and with Access Location, Location reporting and location history on it appears to check my location about once every 40-45 seconds. An interesting note is I have geofences set up in AutoLocation in Tasker (it uses the Google API to check to see if you're in a predefined area) and my location seems to be checked with about the same frequency whether I have that feature turned on or off.
    What was your screen on time though? That's what counts haha how long can you actually use your phone with the screen on. Without any battery saving apps, I get around 5 hours of screen time on an average without any charging rime between unplug and death. And that's with air view, sync, data and multiwindow enabled. Not even having the built in power saver mode turned on. Whenever I had the guru on it was down to about 3 hours so I just decided not to use anything. That's what worked for me.

I had wifi control in the Battery Guru set to off, but it still needs location services in learning mode. Because for some reason it still wants to build up that location profile of you even if you don't want to use it to control wifi. I've tried to turn off location reporting in my settings and then I got a notification from battery guru saying that it needs it. Perhaps if your battery saver app is still in learning mode the Google services drain might be high, so I'd suggest to wait it out until it's out of the learning phase and then see what happens over the course of a couple days.

I admitted in that post that the screenshot was taken during at time when the phone had spent quite a bit of time in standby.

I realize that screen time is the ultimate factor of interpreting battery results, but that doesn't mean that battery performance during standby isn't important as well (it certainly is to me). The only point I was making is that you notice in that screen shot that Google Services is at the top of the list, yet it wasn't having a huge effect on my battery life. That's all, it was to point out that under some conditions it can be *normal* for Google Services to be high...In the OP, those screenshots were taken after very short amounts of time off the charger, so it's really hard to gauge if that was an actual issue or completely normal behavior.

Now, that is an interesting point you make about screen time though. Just through passive observation, I feel as though my battery has been lasting longer with Battery Guru, whether it be in standby or during heavy use with a lot of screen time...but given what you've noticed, I may have to take a look at my screen time and see if it being adversely affected by that app.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast