Will Factory Reset Remove Latest OTA Update?

harryhoudini66

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
So I want to root. The problem is that I cannot since I installed the latest update from ATT. If I were to do a complete factory reset, will it literally put my phone back to the same state and firmware version it was when I first purchased it? Would I then be able to root?

harryhoudini66

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks I will take a look. Any idea where I can find the firmware version prior (MDL) to this recent patch (MF3)?

Edit: Found the firmware but it looks like I cannot downgrade based on this link.

[HOW-TO] The All-In-One Root/Backup/Flash Guide ►MF3 ROOT SUPPORT SECTION◄ - xda-developers

Should I decide to do so, I can root. Just won't have the option to revert.

New Root Method for AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 4 (OTA FM3) (updated) - xda-developers

Last edited:

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks I will take a look. Any idea where I can find the firmware version prior (MDL) to this recent patch (MF3)?

Edit: Found the firmware but it looks like I cannot downgrade based on this link.

[HOW-TO] The All-In-One Root/Backup/Flash Guide ►MF3 ROOT SUPPORT SECTION◄ - xda-developers

Should I decide to do so, I can root. Just won't have the option to revert.

New Root Method for AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 4 (OTA FM3) (updated) - xda-developers

The MF3 OTA prevents you from downgrading - it's just not possible at this point and may never be.

It is true that they have just discovered a new method for rooting MF3...but there is no custom recovery/bootloader exploit so you cannot revert back, cannot install custom roms, etc.

Give it time and they will probably figure it out, but those are your options right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa