Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

Default SD card unmounted and saying damaged

Like the title, my new sd card (Samsung 16gb) of 2 weeks is continuously unmounted and saying it is damaged, then miraculously working g a few minutes later. This is now the third card I have used, having already tried SanDisk and Lexar, I know there are threads about it happening during boot and other stuff but mine is happening all the time, and will likely become unusable by the end of the week like the others. Any input or suggestions?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using AC Forums mobile app
    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Default Re: SD card unmounted and saying damaged

Do you have the latest update for the GS4. Once I installed it I had no more problems like what you are experiencing.
    I have ATT so not sure if the other carriers have the update yet?

Galaxy S4 Micro SD Card Unmounting During Boot

Global Posts
    7,972 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

If you haven't already, format the card in your phone. That completely resolved the issue for me.

Sent from my Note 8.0 LTE
    Live long and prosper.

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

Yes i have installed the latest update which helped for a bit, then it started again *sigh* It has stopped doing the issue for 2 days, but now just doesnt recognize i have a card in my phone lol. Il hqve to try reformatting it and see if it works! Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using AC Forums mobile app

Curses!!!

After a few months of working fine with my PNY card (former Sandisk one failed) my S4 is again saying "Damaged card". Just happened out of the blue. Only thing I did right before was install teh Duck Dynasty app, I then decided to restart my phone, and then BAM!, started getting the message. Arrrrrrgggh!!

I took out the battery, took out the card, re-installed. No luck.

I don't want to reformat because I will lose everything I have on teh phone pretty much!!

Anyone figure out a new way to fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by OhAlfie View Post
    Curses!!!

After a few months of working fine with my PNY card (former Sandisk one failed) my S4 is again saying "Damaged card". Just happened out of the blue. Only thing I did right before was install teh Duck Dynasty app, I then decided to restart my phone, and then BAM!, started getting the message. Arrrrrrgggh!!

I took out the battery, took out the card, re-installed. No luck.

I don't want to reformat because I will lose everything I have on teh phone pretty much!!

Anyone figure out a new way to fix this?
    Have you tried putting the card on a PC and seeing about getting your files back. You won't be able to save your applications or application data or anything or the sort but your pictures/videos/music, etc should be recoverable. Unless the SD card is officially dead.

Quote Originally Posted by asanatheist View Post
    Have you tried putting the card on a PC and seeing about getting your files back. You won't be able to save your applications or application data or anything or the sort but your pictures/videos/music, etc should be recoverable. Unless the SD card is officially dead.
    That's my plan when I get home. So darn frustrating. I know it's got to be a software/phone hardware issue, no way all these SD cards folks are having come up "dead" are faulty this often.

PROBLEM FIXED!!

Thanks to one of our IT guys, he sent me these fix instructions he found online. Props to whoever the original poster of this was.

Sometimes the file system on the card gets corrupted. It can happen for example if the card was ejected while a file operation on it was in progress. When that happens you might have trouble accessing some of the files, loading times for some directories in file explorer may be very slow.
    You can attempt to fix it using the desktop windows' built-in chkdsk utility.
    Open up command prompt (start->run->cmd.exe) and type
    chkdsk /X /F <SD card drive letter>
    My SD card reader is X:\ drive, so i would use the following command:
    chkdsk /X /F X:
    SD card reader is recommended of course
    All my pix and files are there, apps are back, it's back to 100% now (crossing fingers!)
    Thanked by 4:
    bjorkzilla likes this.

Normally all that is needed is to remount the card. I take it that you tried doing that first?

Sent from my GS4 using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by GS4Bob View Post
    Normally all that is needed is to remount the card. I take it that you tried doing that first?

Sent from my GS4 using Tapatalk 4
    Does remount kill all the items on the card? If not, what are the steps?

Enviado desde mi GT-P5110 usando Tapatalk 4
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

I agree. My particular issue was that it wasn't allowing me to remount. Once I reformatted in my macbook it was perfect again

Does remount kill all the items on the card? If not, what are the steps?
    No.......
    Settings>More>Storage>sdcard and "Mount".

Quote Originally Posted by GS4Bob View Post
    No.......
    Settings>More>Storage>sdcard and "Mount".
    That's assuming that the phone even sees that the "broken" SD is installed.

PROBLEM FIXED!!

Thanks to one of our IT guys, he sent me these fix instructions he found online. Props to whoever the original poster of this was.

All my pix and files are there, apps are back, it's back to 100% now (crossing fingers!)
    I want to something.here.....pls explain.....after following all the you quated in your post.....CHKDSK asks for a Y or N.....what to do then ?? I confess, i am not very good at dos other than cd, md, dir, type, and the fundamentals.....

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

Red face Re: SD card unmounted and saying damaged

Its work,thank you verymuch!

This worked like a champ. Thank you for posting a good solution.

Thumbs up Re: SD card unmounted and saying damaged

thank you so much for posting the run cmd fix!!! thought i lost everything forever!!

PROBLEM FIXED!!

Thanks a lot, it worked. Created an account to thank you.
    No need to format your card, all the data is there and it's working fine.
    I used usb cable to connect my phone and booted into recovery mode and used mount card option. It was showing my card as I: drive but said it needs to formatted. Ran a chkdsk as you suggested and everything is fine now. Thank you so much.
    OceanView likes this.

I frequently (like almost every time I view my pics or take new pics) get the error "SD Card Unexpectedly Removed". I have formatted the card via the phone and per Sandisk prod support instructions, formatted it from My Computer via card reader. I can read and write fine using the card writer, but when using just the phone, it gets the "SD Card Unexpectedly Removed" error non-stop. This leads me to believe that the card is fine, but there is an issue with the phone. Anyone have luck getting Samsung to own up to an issue?

Question Re: SD card unmounted and saying damaged

My phone (vodafone smart mini) keeps saying that aswell. This is the second card ive had and its still saying sd card damaged. It only just came up today and it was working fine yesterday... I do not want to format it because then i will lose everything. Please can someone help...
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by campbellmonster View Post
    My phone (vodafone smart mini) keeps saying that aswell. This is the second card ive had and its still saying sd card damaged. It only just came up today and it was working fine yesterday... I do not want to format it because then i will lose everything. Please can someone help...
    Thanks
    There are data recovery apps available that you could try. The safest approach might be to remove the card from the phone and put it in a card reader attached to your PC, then see what you can get viewing the card as a drive with Windows. You can also run Windows' file check/error correction on the card from the drive properties.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (Verizon - SCH-I545) - Android 4.3
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by STSVA View Post
    There are data recovery apps available that you could try. The safest approach might be to remove the card from the phone and put it in a card reader attached to your PC, then see what you can get viewing the card as a drive with Windows. You can also run Windows' file check/error correction on the card from the drive properties.
    Thanks, I will try this!

PROBLEM FIXED!!

Quote Originally Posted by STSVA View Post
    Warning: to anyone with only a little space left on the SD Card that they're trying to fix, DO NOT USE CHKDSK

Chkdsk requires a certain amount of space to be available on the card in order to repair it.

FIRST: Download Recuva (it's free), and in the Advanced area, check the box for 'search for items that have not been deleted' (something like that) and you will be able to recover ALL OF YOUR pictures and videos (etc etc).

I just used Chkdsk FIRST for my 32GB sdcard (1.7GB left), and CHKDSK was unable to fix the card due to 'insufficient space available'.

I then used RECUVA. Guess what? I could see the 10,000 FILEXXXX.CHK that CHKDSK had left there, but not recover any information from them. If I hadn't used CHKDSK first, I would be able to recover my files (despite them being invisible in Windows).

Just something to beware for anyone in this situation!
    Thanked by:

Chkdsk on PC (Windows 8.1) worked for me! I was able copy the contents off my SD card with a card reader as my card was nearly full. Then I ran chkdsk as described and all is working well now. No data loss. Great tip!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast