1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default clearing the phone cache partition issue. does that happen to you?

I have the Sprint version of the S4, and when I try to clear the Cache by shutting down the phone and restarting while holding the Power, Vol up, and the home buttons, I do end up on the recovery screen that allows me to select "wipe Cache partition", however once I select it, I briefly get "erasing", and then "error" and the phone boots up to home screen. Anyone else have the same issue? or know what the fix is??

Default Re: clearing the phone cache partition issue. does that happen to you?

Why are you doing this anyway? Laggy?

Posted via Android Central App on my awesome Samsung Galaxy s4

I was gonna do that because I was gonna do a factory data reset and clear that phone cache partition from the recovery menu due to buggy software after the latest update and I noticed that too. I even tried it a few times and than tried it again after factory data resetting my device. I'm on USCC. If u figure it out post on here please.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using AC Forums mobile app
    Running CyanogenMod 10 on my rooted Galaxy S3!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Faloogs View Post
    Why are you doing this anyway? Laggy?

Posted via Android Central App on my awesome Samsung Galaxy s4
    If you install and delete apps, it is sometimes better to do a Cache wipe, it is similar to defragging your hard drive on a PC. It just speeds things up. I had Moto phones in the past and doing this bi-weekly kept my phone running smooth. I don't know if that is the same for a Sammy phone, but there has to be a reason why that option is there.

I know there are apps to do this from the home screen, but I don't think it is as effective as doing it from the recovery screen.

How do u do a cache wipe???

tapped out on my S4
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by WildCatBBN3 View Post
    How do u do a cache wipe???

tapped out on my S4
    by holding the Power, Vol up, and the home buttons, (after you shut down the phone). you wait for a little blue line of words to show up on the top left, then you can release all the buttons, you will be taken to the recovery screen, where you can select different options. Select the "wipe Cache partition" by using the volume rocker to go up and down to highlight it, and then the power button to select it.

Hope this helps.

Is that the easiest way to clear cache or is there an app u can use???

tapped out on my S4

The easier way to do it is by holding down the home button and then going to first icon on the left... from there one of the choices is to clear the ram..... I understand that clearing the partition cache is only necessary when the phone is acting up ....

Quote Originally Posted by asdfasdfgasdfadfs View Post
    by holding the Power, Vol up, and the home buttons, (after you shut down the phone). you wait for a little blue line of words to show up on the top left, then you can release all the buttons, you will be taken to the recovery screen, where you can select different options. Select the "wipe Cache partition" by using the volume rocker to go up and down to highlight it, and then the power button to select it.

Hope this helps.
    According to the instruction you gave, you are doing the wrong way, this is the normal procedure to get into the clear cache settings unless Sprint has a different procedure which I would check I was you .

Turn off the device.
    Press and hold the following three buttons at the same time:
    Volume Up key
    Home key
    Power key
    When the phone vibrates, let go of the Power key but continue to press and hold the Volume Up key and theHome key.
    When the Android System Recovery screen appears, release the Volume Up and Home keys.
    Press the Volume Down key to highlight ‘wipe cache partition.’
    Press the Power key to select. The phone will automatically restart after the cache is wiped.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by fantom305 View Post
    According to the instruction you gave, you are doing the wrong way, this is the normal procedure to get into the clear cache settings unless Sprint has a different procedure which I would check I was you .

Turn off the device.
    Press and hold the following three buttons at the same time:
    Volume Up key
    Home key
    Power key
    When the phone vibrates, let go of the Power key but continue to press and hold the Volume Up key and theHome key.
    When the Android System Recovery screen appears, release the Volume Up and Home keys.
    Press the Volume Down key to highlight ‘wipe cache partition.’
    Press the Power key to select. The phone will automatically restart after the cache is wiped.
    Yes, it may be a Sprint thing, I am able to do it either way (my instructions or yours), but either way I get the same result, which is a failed wipe, and a phone restart to home screen.

I do too. I go to clear cache and push wipe and it says error and restarts.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using AC Forums mobile app
    Running CyanogenMod 10 on my rooted Galaxy S3!

Same here

Posted via Android Central App
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by rocker465 View Post
    Same here

Are you on Sprint Network?

It happens to me as well. I'm on AT&T.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

I have tried it 3 times since getting the phone in May. All 3 times have resulted in the error message. One of the times it caused my phone to really act up forcing me to factory reset.

Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - AT&T
    Motorola Moto X - unlocked GSM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - LTE AT&T
    Apple iPad Mini Retina - 32GB LTE

Global Posts
    813 Global Posts

I get ERROR as well, but it still says Cache Wipe Complete
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---