Samsung Galaxy s4 with Straight talk

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I am currently on Virgin mobile $25 a month plan ( I'm grandfathered in) and I am using the LG optimus V. I've had the phone for about 5 years and it has been a great phone but it is showing its age so I figure its time for a new phone. After looking at all the new phones from Virgin Mobile I wasn't impressed and figure maybe it's time to switch prepaids. I decided I want to go with Straight talk since they brought back the At&t sim cards for them and where I live At&t is extremely decent. Then I also decided that I want the Samsung Galaxy s4 since I keep my phones for a long time I figure I might as well buy the best now and over time it will become average. My only problem is, is I'm not sure which model of the Galaxy s4 to buy. Can I buy a locked one directly from At&t and just put the sim chip in there and will everything work? Or do I have to buy an unlocked international one and use that instead? I've tried looking for myself but I keep getting different answers and I don't want to spend that kind of money if it's not going to work. Any advice or insight would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
You can use either and you could also use a Verizon S4 since it also has GSM bands and is sim unlocked. I am presently using a AT&T S4 with Straight Talk. I get almost 6 down and 1.75 up. So for $39 a month it can't be beat. I have also used a Verizon iPhone 5 and a Verizon Droid DNA with my ST. AT&T sim since they are also sim unlocked

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much for a direct answer. The AT&T galaxy is a lot cheaper then the international one. Would I still be able to upgrade to the new android OS that is rolling out. One of my friends told me that the s4 would be getting key lime pie. Also what's the difference between the carriers galaxy s4 and the international one. Lastly how is your service and cover area over all. Thanks again for the help.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
My service is great. Never had any problems. I don't know what internals are different on the 2 models but the carriers models always have a ****load of bloatware installed.

griffit

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
The new os is called kit kat and not key lime pie Yes like the candy bar. I should be out in Oct.
I am confused as to how you can get an s4 from att without signing a contract with them. I don't think the will just sell you the phone.
google sells the phone for $600 or so but it is stripped of all the samsung skins, like touch wiz, can't us sd card and so on. True android people kind of think the system is more "pure" without
all the silly bells and it is faster but I like all the bells so I am waiting till straight talk gets the CDMA version i am using an att sim but our area has better coverage with verizon. I have a Nexus 4 and love it but I talked my husband out of getting another iPhone and on to the s4. he is verizon and that phone does everything but cook breakfast. I am so jealous I can't stand it. I don't know if international version has all the samsung bells and whistles or not.

dubs22

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I thought I would try and piggy back on this thread instead of starting a new one since my question is somewhat relevant. I recently bought an unlocked Verizon Galaxy S4 (SCH I545) and have service through Straight Talk using the AT&T SIM. I signed up for service through Straight Talk with the understanding that the fastest data connection I would get would be HSPA+, however I recently found out that Straight Talk added LTE support through the AT&T network. So is it possible for me to get AT&T LTE on my Verizon GS4? I ask because there are 3 settings for "network mode" on my phone: Global, LTE/CDMA, and GSM/UMTS. It's currently set to GSM/UMTS but I'm guessing I won't be able to get LTE on this mode. Setting it to LTE/CDMA isn't an option because I'm getting service through AT&T and so that leaves Global but I've only been able to pick up HSPA+ so far. I may have answered my own question but I figured I would ask the smarter folks out there.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I thought I would try and piggy back on this thread instead of starting a new one since my question is somewhat relevant. I recently bought an unlocked Verizon Galaxy S4 (SCH I545) and have service through Straight Talk using the AT&T SIM. I signed up for service through Straight Talk with the understanding that the fastest data connection I would get would be HSPA+, however I recently found out that Straight Talk added LTE support through the AT&T network. So is it possible for me to get AT&T LTE on my Verizon GS4? I ask because there are 3 settings for "network mode" on my phone: Global, LTE/CDMA, and GSM/UMTS. It's currently set to GSM/UMTS but I'm guessing I won't be able to get LTE on this mode. Setting it to LTE/CDMA isn't an option because I'm getting service through AT&T and so that leaves Global but I've only been able to pick up HSPA+ so far. I may have answered my own question but I figured I would ask the smarter folks out there.

I could be wrong but I think you will only get HSPA+ if you are using a Verizon phone. I also don't know if it has to do with what sim card you use. ST has a special now $6.99 for a new sim card that gets 4G LTE and they overnight it. I ordered 1 for my daughter at 3 pm yesterday and it was delivered at 10am. The only downside is you have to be there to sign for it. WHY ???? lol

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
None of this answered my question. I dont think. Anyways can i use my /verizon samsung galaxy s4 on straighttalk 4g? If so how do i do it?
:-!:confused: Thanks to you smart tech folks in advance
Also: I only see at&t or T-mobile sims? Where are the verizon sims? How do i do this!!!? Im so confused sorry but thanks

Dvora G

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I am ready for a new phone and right now I use straight talk. I have been happy with my current samsung phone, but would like one with a larger screen, better camera, and longer battery life. I am considering the samsung galaxy 4 or an iphone 5c. I could consider something else. I do not currently own other apple products and LOVE my chromebook.
note: I am sometimes a phone DROPPER!

Verizon has been the best network here in coastal georgia, and anywhere I've needed it up and down the east coast. I am not really familiar with a lot of phone technology jargon. Can anyone tell me:
1. samsung galaxy 4 versus iphone thoughts?
2. at&t versus verizon or other?
3. smart-talk versus other company?

advise me like I was your mother!
Thanks very much!

atkichr

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I have an s4 that I use on straight talk byop att. I like att because I get 4glte at 2.5gb of data a month and unlimited text and calling at $48 bucks after taxes and fee's. Verizon for all I've seen on allows 3g enabled phones on straight talk. Tmo and att have 4g at least. If you are a phone dropper then buy an otter box lol. I think now you can buy an s4 for around 400 on eBay used or you could buy a nexus 5 for $350. I don't like iPhone but that's just my opinion.

Posted via Android Central App

jskbest

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I have the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 and I purchased an AT&T SIM card from Straight Talk. Now how do I get my phone to recognize the card and working on Straight Talk?!

rarert1l

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I have the same phone (on AT& T) and just switched to straighttalk. I cannot get lte. What are your apn settings? Thanks

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci