Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question New SMS messages no sound just vibrate

When i get a new text message, i am not getting any sounds. It does vibrate.
    1)I have restarted the device
    2) i have gone into settings and changed the sound to another
    3) downloaded the audio manage and they are all turned up to 11 ;-)

Really frustrating, any other suggestions?

Thanks

Default Re: New SMS messages no sound just vibrate

I had the same issue and found that profile type apps cause this problem where you do not get sound for text messages from the stock messaging app. For me it was both the AutomateIt and Locale apps that caused it. If I used a third party messaging app like Contacts+ or uninstall the profile app and reboot the phone, the sound for the stock messaging app comes back.

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Are you still getting notifications at your notification bar?

Try to go to Application Manager -> All -> Messaging -> Show notifications (make sure this is checked)

At least that fixed the problem for my friend's phone.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

yes, i get notifications on the bar and i get the vibrate
    Thanks
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

thanks jefstead for the info,
    not even sure where to start with all the apps i have
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jefstead View Post
    I had the same issue and found that profile type apps cause this problem where you do not get sound for text messages from the stock messaging app. For me it was both the AutomateIt and Locale apps that caused it. If I used a third party messaging app like Contacts+ or uninstall the profile app and reboot the phone, the sound for the stock messaging app comes back.

I found, on a Samsung Galaxy Note 2, that different sound settings are allowed in different places:
    (a) Messages > Menu > (Gear Symbol) Settings > Select Ringtone > (Choose Ringtone of Your Choice) > OK
    -versus-
    (b) (Gear Symbol) Settings > Sound > Default Notifications > (Choose Ringtone of Your Choice) > OK

This might help some problems.

Mine just started doing the very same thing and I'm at my wits end .
    I love my phone so much but it seems like every time I get one problem solved something totally random like this....or pictures disappearing (and if I'm lucky, some magically reapear .,.
    Now this. ..just a vibration and a flash but no sound.
    I regret this buy!

Quote Originally Posted by Jefstead View Post
    I agree with this. I had the same problem and found that it was ringer profile apps causing the problem. I used Ring Scheduler & Timmerific. Both caused the issue. After a restart the sound would come back but after a day or two it would stop again. I was hoping it would get fixed, but no luck as of yet. Really frustrating because the profile apps are very useful...
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4

If you are using AT&T as your provider, you must have AT&T messaging installed and working or standard messaging will not have a notification sound when new messages arrive. This may apply to other providers as well.

Cool Re: New SMS messages no sound just vibrate

Application Manager -> All -> Restore applications.

Problem solved