rooting s4 on verizon

jhnybgood47

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I am getting my s4 sometime this week and I have a couple questions. I have read a lot of forums about rooting and it seems it is somewhat different for each carrier. Is there a walk through that easily explains how to root a new s4 on Verizon? Are there any must have apps that I need to get for the s4? I am coming from an iPhone and a Windows Phone background. I had a Droid X but only for a short while. I was really bored with both platforms and was recommended to go back to Android.

Thanks

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Sadly the Verizon S4 on the most recent update which yours will most likely have can not be rooted!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Probably the best guides on rooting are over on XDA: [STICKY] How to Root Your Verizon Galaxy S4 MDK or ME7 - xda-developers

Your device will probably come with the latest software version, "VRUAME7", which unfortunately means that you won't be able to unlock bootloader or install custom recovery. Rooting is still possible, for doing stuff like removing system applications (bloatware), making backups, running apps that require root and stuff like that, but with no option to install custom recovery, installing ROMs is not possible.

EDIT: Also, the root process, while definitely not the most complicated I've ever dealt with, is a bit tricky with VRUAME7, as you have to make sure your SD card is formatted properly.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Not true. It can be rooted -- just no way to install custom recovery for flashing ROMs. Depending on the intent of the OP, this may be more than sufficient.

It wasn't possible last time I looked in to it, BUT that was a while ago. I was just going to post that link you provided as I did a little more research. For me though without the ability to install ROMs it's not worth the effort!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
It wasn't possible last time I looked in to it, BUT that was a while ago. I was just going to post that link you provided as I did a little more research. For me though without the ability to install ROMs it's not worth the effort!

I agree to a point (and trust me, I'm glad I'm still on the old firmware and able to flash ROMs), but there's still a lot of stuff you can with root access even on the stock OS...it's still worth it in my opinion.

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Determine if your phone has the update installed by going into settings, about phone and check its version.

Usually, the phone doesn't have the update installed if it has been sitting at the store for a month or so and isn't a brand new device that just came off the truck.

If you turn on you phone and it says the its installing an update, allow it to finish the first process of installation. This is simply a prep for the full install. Simply delay the update to another time when the prompt says so and you can proceed from there.

Try this if the newest update is in your S4 already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhiRPshiMTs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

If it isn't, do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm3jw3hft1g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

After either of those as the first step, the next steps are as follows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc_Mh_nNPPw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxA40yx7wAU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Follow the instructions exactly and you'll be just fine.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Determine if your phone has the update installed by going into settings, about phone and check its version.

Usually, the phone doesn't have the update installed if it has been sitting at the store for a month or so and isn't a brand new device that just came off the truck.

If you turn on you phone and it says the its installing an update, allow it to finish the first process of installation. This is simply a prep for the full install. Simply delay the update to another time when the prompt says so and you can proceed from there.

Try this if the newest update is in your S4 already:

If it isn't, do this:

After either of those as the first step, the next steps are as follows:

Follow the instructions exactly and you'll be just fine.

That's the problem -- if you have VRUAME7 then you cannot do any of the steps past the first step. It will either simply not work and may even lock the device up if you try. Not to mention the fact that the OP may or may not even want to install CM 10.1.

OP: *If* your device does come with the older software version (VRUAMDK), you *may* want to consider fully rooting it with custom recovery, and then freezing the updater process so it doesn't attempt to install automatically, but that will be up to you. If you don't think you'll have any intention of installing custom recovery, it may be best to actually let the update run prior to rooting.

rmanaka

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Best way to know what version of software your phone will have is to ask to look at the box before they /you open it... The last line on the white sticker will either say sw-ver. I545VRUAMDK or I545VRUAME7.

This way you don't have to turn on the phone. If your interest is in rooting the phone AND installing a custom recovery so that you can flash new ROMs onto the phone and the sticker says I545VRUAME7 politely ask them to go back and check if they have any phones that say I545VRUAMDK. Tell them you have heard that people have been having trouble with the new update and you want to watch and wait for a while. DO NOT let them activate the phone and then start the update process or you will end up with a ME7 based phone!

You must take the phone and root it and then freeze the update process (read more on rooting and freezing before you let the phone connect to Verizon for very long or you may accidentally let the update process begin).

HTH

Sent from my Nexus 7 FHD using Tapatalk HD!

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Root is fairly easy to do and remove. I use root so I can run adaway to get rid of annoying adds, a lot of special apps that use root abilities and hope to see custom recovery come out way again. Oh and now I need to figure out what bloatware to remove.

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The entire update won't install automatically. It begins by installing a pre-update install.

You can allow this to happen as it does nothing to prevent root.

The problem is if you allow the 2nd procedure to take place. And even this isn't a problem since it prompts you to either allow the entire update or if you want to prolong it for a while. It even let's you set a time for it.