Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Broken Samsung Galaxy S4 Screen - how to retrieve data?

I broke my screen pretty good. Doesnt display anything. The phone still boots up and I am able to get to the "VZW Software Upgrade Assistant" mapped drive for a bit, then it goes away and shows the Portable Media Player if I plug the USB into the computer.

I need to copy off at least my pictures/videos from the phone.

The screen has a lock on it. I am not sure if I had USB Debugging enabled or not.

Is there any chance I can pull this data from the internal storage before I send it back on the insurance claim?

ROM
    Stock (for now)

Default Re: Broken Samsung Galaxy S4 Screen - how to retrieve data?

Quote Originally Posted by BradSCJB View Post
    I broke my screen pretty good. Doesnt display anything. The phone still boots up and I am able to get to the "VZW Software Upgrade Assistant" mapped drive for a bit, then it goes away and shows the Portable Media Player if I plug the USB into the computer.

I need to copy off at least my pictures/videos from the phone.

The screen has a lock on it. I am not sure if I had USB Debugging enabled or not.

Is there any chance I can pull this data from the internal storage before I send it back on the insurance claim?
    More than likely you will have a $100 deductible on your insurance. For less than that you can get a new screen on this phone.

Note to self : Make sure to save all pics on SD card. Check!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

its more than a broken screen...bezel is cracked....the ribbon for the 3 bottom buttons is ripped. its not an easy fix.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Anyone?
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by BradSCJB View Post
    Anyone?
    If the computer recognizes your phone but won't let you see any files then that would seem that USB debugging is not enabled. Here's an older thread where someone had the same issue with an S3. You may want to look at some of the suggestions here how to transfer files from galaxy s3 with broken screen.

You may also want to try options using adb as you'll be able to use the windows command prompt to accomplish functions on the device. But again, I'm not sure how that would work (or not) without debugging mode enabled. Here's a thread over at XDA where someone suggests adb and the proper commands Trying to use keis to back up GS3 with broken screen (phone locked) - xda-developers It's for the S3 but I would imagine the process is still the same for the S4.

Good luck.
    Mobile Devices: S6 Edge, iPhone 6 plus
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

Quote Originally Posted by inphoenix View Post
    Note to self : Make sure to save all pics on SD card. Check!
    Not to Note to self: This phone HAS issues with SD Cards, so you're better off saving all pics to SD Card AND a Cloud backup in your service of choice.
    inphoenix and scorpiodsu like this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by scorpiodsu View Post
    If the computer recognizes your phone but won't let you see any files then that would seem that USB debugging is not enabled. Here's an older thread where someone had the same issue with an S3. You may want to look at some of the suggestions here how to transfer files from galaxy s3 with broken screen.

You may also want to try options using adb as you'll be able to use the windows command prompt to accomplish functions on the device. But again, I'm not sure how that would work (or not) without debugging mode enabled. Here's a thread over at XDA where someone suggests adb and the proper commands Trying to use keis to back up GS3 with broken screen (phone locked) - xda-developers It's for the S3 but I would imagine the process is still the same for the S4.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the suggestions....I downloaded the SDK and tried to run ADB.....when I run 'adb devices', it doesnt show any devices. I rebooted the phone and also did a 'adb kill-server' and a 'adb start-server' and still no luck. I am not too familiar with ADB to troubleshoot it too much. Google renders results that are way over my head.

take it to radio shack (did my transfer for free when I bought my phone) and they use their transfer machine to pull it off the old phone and can put on a new/replacement phone. Verizon charges for theirs I think.
    I'd bet Cory's Right Arm on that!

Global Posts
    7,480 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    Not to Note to self: This phone HAS issues with SD Cards, so you're better off saving all pics to SD Card AND a Cloud backup in your service of choice.
    Wait! When did that happened? :rolleyes:

I first got my Galaxy S4 on July 1 and never had any trouble with any of the 3 different SD cards that I've used!
    All 3 were different brand and different capacities.
    No problems whatsoever!

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

ROM
    Stock (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    Never had issue with SD card BUT I do use a cloud service to save pics and videos. Dropbox is almost full so I am on to copy (copy.com) now.

Highly recommend using a cloud service to save pics.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I tried Kies...its able to connect, but wont let me in because the screen is locked.

Still not able to get ADB to detect it....

Heck if you can get a backup phone to pull them to go to radioshack like I said to recover it all. I was watching as they pulled my data from my Nexus to my S4 I bought this last Saturday and they have the option to pull everything from contacts/photos/video/text messages. they also don't charge. So if you can get your hands on another phone with enough storage to transfer everything over then you should be ok.
    I'd bet Cory's Right Arm on that!
    Wayne Riesterer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by STARGATE View Post
    Wait! When did that happened? :rolleyes:

I first got my Galaxy S4 on July 1 and never had any trouble with any of the 3 different SD cards that I've used!
    All 3 were different brand and different capacities.
    No problems whatsoever!

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!
    It's a known issue, just look it up in the forums and you'll see them pop up. Granted, not everyone has the issue but also, most people DON'T EVEN NOTICE IT. The SD Card will usually mount/unmount randomly and by itself, most of the time while the device is in standby, thus not letting you see it's happening. Some people have had the bad luck of having bad pictures written onto the SD Card but only find out when they're browsing for the picture afterwards. Others, in a worst case, have had permanent damage to their cards. But this is not a new issue, it's been happening since the Note 2 and S3 and especially (for some reason) with SanDisk 32GB cards. Again, it might not happen to you, and I hope it doesn't, but if you have a Cloud backup option, you'd be better off being safe

This just happened to me! Phone works but screen and LCD broken and unresponsive. I had a screen lock too so what I did was I took off the back plate, removed the battery, and unscrewed the six screws to uncover the PCB board under the back housing. Then I carefully disconnected all the tiny ribbon connectors. I waited a minute just to be superstitious and then reconnected all the ribbon connectors and put everything back to how it was. Then I downloaded Kies from the Samsung website, pluged my phone into a computer via USB and was able to view all my files! Something about disconnecting the PCB board resets the default settings to factory state but doesn't delete any data at all. Good luck and I hope this helps someone out there
    Thanked by:

worked fine with my note 2. thanks

I had the same problem with a black screen but the phone still received calls (that I had no way to answer of course).
    I was using a pattern lock and was able to plug my phone into my computer and then draw the pattern on the screen.
    The screen never came on but the computer recognized the phone as a disc drive and I was able to pull off all my data.
    -mk

How did you manage to unlock using the pattern if your screen is broken?

I've put that pattern in so many times - it just came naturally - I even got it on the first try.

so what exactly did you run (program wise) to be able to enter your pattern? mine is broke with no touch response as well and am unable to access through kies? maybe not exploring all options? need help.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppaof3almost View Post
    so what exactly did you run (program wise) to be able to enter your pattern? mine is broke with no touch response as well and am unable to access through kies? maybe not exploring all options? need help.
    This is what I did:
    1. Plug S4 into USB drive on my laptop.
    2. Restarted S4
    3. Waited 5 minutes
    4. Pressed power button quickly on the S4
    5. Made an educated guess as to where the "dots" would have been on my screen and preformed my Pattern password.
    6. And shockingly - my S4 was recognized by my laptop and I was able to pull all my data off of it.
    *please note:
    The lights in the lower left & right of my screen were still working - as was the LED indicator.
    I was also able to receive calls (but couldn't remember where to press on the screen to answer them)

There's a way of doing this, because I just went through the entire process and found a few tricks....

First download Android SDK, because you will need ADB. Install the software to your C Drive

Then head over to Java and download Java JRE...Pretty simple stuff so far.

Then download Droid Screen....The website provides easy instructions on how to use the application...Basically what it's doing is providing a virtual screen on your computer of your cell screen. Through your USB connection....No special connector required.

Then make sure your USB drivers for your phone are installed...Windows usually does this when the phone gets plugged in.

Go through the setup options...And once you run the app it will prompt you to a path. Navigate it to adb.exe file (found in the platform tools of SDK), which is what will create the bridge between your phone and computer.

So magically your cell screen pops up and you can see your lock screen. Now of course you can't touch anything on the screen because its broke.

So next you will have to use a wireless mouse to input your pin or gesture. You can turn on bluetooth through adb....Here is a walkthrough: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...adb-or-at-boot

If you have a Galaxy Note: The note 2 has an S-Pen...and unless the phone is really demolished, you can still use it to punch in your passcode or gesture.

Once you are in the phone, you can do whatever it is you like. Enable USB Debugging and use an app like Kies to get your files, or just use Windows Explorer.
    Thanked by 2:

Did you actually try this without having authorized ADB previously, or having USB debugging already on? I was unable to get it to work at all on my broken phone (the droid@screen program uses ADB), and on the new replacement (which I used for testing why my broken one wasn't working), I was only able to use this program if a) I had usb debugging installed and b) the computer had already been authorized for ADB - something impossible on the broken phone, since authorizing it requires the digitizer to work (it doesn't).
    elchobie likes this.

I had exactly the same problem, so i went directly to the Samsung website and went onto the "find my phone' selection

On the side there is an option to 'unlock the phone' wirelessly
    my phone unlocked straight away, and i was able to get into kies

http://findmymobile.samsung.com/dm/l...MobilePhone.do
    Thanked by 2:
    Ricky Markendale likes this.

I get here

Go through the setup options...And once you run the app it will prompt you to a path. Navigate it to adb.exe file (found in the platform tools of SDK), which is what will create the bridge between your phone and computer.

And nothing happens, no screen pops up.

- - - Updated - - -

I get here

And nothing happens, no screen pops up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpellings83 View Post
    There's a way of doing this, because I just went through the entire process and found a few tricks....

First download Android SDK, because you will need ADB. Install the software to your C Drive

Then head over to Java and download Java JRE...Pretty simple stuff so far.

Then download Droid Screen....The website provides easy instructions on how to use the application...Basically what it's doing is providing a virtual screen on your computer of your cell screen. Through your USB connection....No special connector required.

Then make sure your USB drivers for your phone are installed...Windows usually does this when the phone gets plugged in.

So magically your cell screen pops up and you can see your lock screen. Now of course you can't touch anything on the screen because its broke.

So next you will have to use a wireless mouse to input your pin or gesture. You can turn on bluetooth through adb....Here is a walkthrough: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...adb-or-at-boot

If you have a Galaxy Note: The note 2 has an S-Pen...and unless the phone is really demolished, you can still use it to punch in your passcode or gesture.

Once you are in the phone, you can do whatever it is you like. Enable USB Debugging and use an app like Kies to get your files, or just use Windows Explorer.

I went to Samsung website and could not find the locate my phone option or the unlock wirelessly option.... Please help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast