Should I repair my broken Galaxy S4?

Estella Lai

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have a damaged Galaxy S4 (Sprint if it matters). The glass is cracked, but all the touch capabilities are still functional, which leads me to believe that this is only a superficial damage. I found a video online on replacing the glass screen, but I also noticed the rim (?) is broken and chipped on the corners. I think it's called the rim; it is the silver coated thin plasticky frame that's before the silver band housing the power button and volume buttons (bezel?).

Should I just try to fix it myself? If so, what kind of parts should I get? If not, who should I go to to get it fixed? If fixing the rim makes the repair cost much costlier, I am considering not repairing that and just replacing the glass screen myself. I don't have insurance on this phone.

Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I have a damaged Galaxy S4 (Sprint if it matters). The glass is cracked, but all the touch capabilities are still functional, which leads me to believe that this is only a superficial damage. I found a video online on replacing the glass screen, but I also noticed the rim (?) is broken and chipped on the corners. I think it's called the rim; it is the silver coated thin plasticky frame that's before the silver band housing the power button and volume buttons (bezel?).

Should I just try to fix it myself? If so, what kind of parts should I get? If not, who should I go to to get it fixed? If fixing the rim makes the repair cost much costlier, I am considering not repairing that and just replacing the glass screen myself. I don't have insurance on this phone.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums!
How complicated is the video? Sometimes, when it comes to replacing things like that the biggest worry is damaging other parts while trying to fix the main issue.

Estella Lai

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply and welcome!
This is the video:

As you can see, it's quite detailed but involved. I have never really taken anything apart to this level, so I'm concerned that I will damage more by doing so, as you mentioned above.

Blackbeagle

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I work at a place that repairs computers, phones, tablets, etc. The GS4 is a hard device to replace the glass. I know it can be done, but the chances of you ruining the LCD is very high. Look at this video. It doesns't look like a beginner is doing it, yet it's almost 40 minutes long. Imagine a beginner who doesn't have the right tools. It could take hours. You could ruin the LCD, ruin the LCD ribbon, ruin the logic board and you'd have a brick for a phone. It's not worth it. Take it to a nearest phone repair dealer and cough up the money. Our technician have tried to replace the glass only. He's 0-2. Each time the LCD was damaged. It'll take practice and a lot of patience. Good luck.

mdhussain

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Yes you can do it, as I had the same problem(Broken glass and damaged rim but the touch sensitive was there). Complete change of broen glass, rim, and a new battery costed me INR10,000 bucks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae