1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S4 docking mode when trying to connect as media device

Every time I try to connect my galaxy s4 to my laptop as a media device it connects and charges but not as a media device. On the drop down notifications it says its docking and I get a docking icon at the top of my phone. I know its not the cord because I tried it with my brothers galaxy s4 and it instantly connected as a media device. Even though my laptop couldnt see any of the two, my brothers s4 still connected as a media device and the laptop showed a notification message saying that it could not recognize the device. Then when I plug my s4 in, it charges and goes into docking mode (nothing happens on the laptop). What can I do? Please help are there any solutions?

Default Re: Galaxy S4 docking mode when trying to connect as media device

I also have this problem.
    GT-I9505, android 4.2.2, I9505XXUBMEA
    I tried lots of things but I narrowed my connection problem down as my phone itself is not "Connecting as a Media Device"
    My phone informs I have the latest software, but when I insert the USB cable, it acknowledges with a beep, and the PC finds and connects it, but the Phone has no message saying it is connected.
    The PC does not show the phone as hard drive or anything.
    I need to tell the phone to "Connect as Media Device" when inserting teh USB cable, but I have no idea how to achieve this.

I had the same problem. I decided to try Samsung Kies. I happened to have the phone connected when I installed Kiies and it did all the magic necessary and now when I hook up the phone it connects as a media device without having to run Keis.

Make sure you guys are installing the Samsung Drivers. You need them to connect your phone to the PC. Our S4's do not connect as the old school "Mass Storage Device" that connects it as a removable drive and doesn't require drivers. Go here and click the Downloads tab:

And no worries, the drivers are the same for all versions of the S4 Device(Install),USB Driver (Software) (ver.v1.5.14.0). Kies installs this driver by default, which is why PdhPhd was able to successfully connect.
    Samsung Galaxy S 4 NAE 4.4.2 Rooted with CF Auto-Root and HotSpot Mod
    HTC EVO Design 4G Rooted with HTC SuperTool v3 by frigid