Samsung Galaxy S4 facebook app syncing all contacts instead of only the existing. Help please!

weylen92

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, I'm using a Galaxy S4. Downloaded the official facebook app. There is am option to sync your facebook contacts with your phone contacts. I checked the option that says "Sync to existing contacts only", but it then goes and syncs all my facebook friends to my phone. Does anyone know a way to get it to sync to only my existing contacts list?

neel69

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Same happened with mine. Moreover due to sync, perhaps, it took ages for all the Contacts to display after clicking. Also the scrolling was no longer smoother. So i disabled it. Now all back to normal!

Darnell0216

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, I'm using a Galaxy S4. Downloaded the official facebook app. There is am option to sync your facebook contacts with your phone contacts. I checked the option that says "Sync to existing contacts only", but it then goes and syncs all my facebook friends to my phone. Does anyone know a way to get it to sync to only my existing contacts list?
Okay so I'm not crazy. It seemed to pop up after the latest update. They also broke the news feed setting remembering "Recent Stories". It always defaults to Top Stories. Hopefully an update will come soon with a fix. I temporarily disabled the sync until then.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
This bug with the Facebook app has been there forever. I have had the exact same problem on my S3 and S4.

As a result, I just let it sync ALL contacts and then make sure that everything is "joined" properly (Google Contact and Facebook contact merged in Address Book). Then you can set your address book to show only Google contacts...that way it will hide all the Facebook contacts that aren't "existing".

Darnell0216

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
This bug with the Facebook app has been there forever. I have had the exact same problem on my S3 and S4.

As a result, I just let it sync ALL contacts and then make sure that everything is "joined" properly (Google Contact and Facebook contact merged in Address Book). Then you can set your address book to show only Google contacts...that way it will hide all the Facebook contacts that aren't "existing".
Maybe for you and/or the Galaxy. My 4 previous androids had no problem with "Sync w/ existing". And my Contacts app on the S4 always defaults to Display All after I exit for some reason so hiding them by staying on Google Contacts isn't an option for me.

Darnell0216

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Ah. So then it's a Galaxy/TouchWiz thing :(. I wonder what Samsung messes with that breaks it for their phones, but it works properly everywhere else. I also tried every variation of messing with display settings in your S3 thread with no luck. It still defaults to "All Contacts" and FB still syncs everyone >_<.

I don't see why your setting won't stick...

To confirm, you go into contacts, hit the menu button and tap "contacts to display". Then just choose your gmail account. This sticks for me - always has.

Darnell0216

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't see why your setting won't stick...

To confirm, you go into contacts, hit the menu button and tap "contacts to display". Then just choose your gmail account. This sticks for me - always has.
I hope I don't have to do a factory reset to fix it. Anything you can suggest trying to get the setting to stick?

selrays

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
If you want FB to sync with existing contacts, then this won't help. But if you're frustrated with FB altogether, then from within the contacts, go to settings>accounts>Facebook>remove account

It would be nice if the app worked the way we want it to, but I would rather just have my regular contacts than have FB add 400+ people to my phone contacts.

farmgal201

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Ok so how did you merge your facebook list with your google list? Everytime I try to save a google contact with the fb pic it gives me an error... this worked on my S3...

bibliophilica

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
Maybe I'm late to the game here, but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one this happened to!
When I first installed the fb app, during setup I specifically selected to not have my contacts sync, since I just use my phone contacts for making calls and don't want to have to scroll through everyone I'm friends with online. When I updated the fb app, the next time I went to open my contacts, everyone from fb was in there. Not impressed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon