Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jeffreii
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default battery for samsung galaxy s4

can I use a 2800mAh rechargeable battery for the samsung galaxy s4 i9500 on the sprint s4 sph-l720? I am looking to buy a spare battery for my galaxy s4 sph-l720

Global Posts
    4,851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Default Re: battery for samsung galaxy s4

Not sure, I checked Samsung's site and the Spring spare battery is P# EB-B600BUB 2600mAh for $39.99, you can get the spare battery+charger P# EB-K600BUW for $49.99. When you registered your phone or if you haven't you should with Samsung they will send you a 50% off code for items up to $49.99 so you could get a spare battery+charger for $25.

I suspect the 2800mAh will be slightly different size and wouldn't fit. If you are looking to save a few bucks you can check out eBay for OEM batteries, I ordered one for a buddy of mine who has a GS3 and he has had no issues with it and its been a month. But alway check the sellers rating and read feedback based on the item you are looking for to gauge integrity and quality.
    Thanked by:
    CrackBerry Convert

Global Posts
    3,236 Global Posts
    ROM
    Goldeneye 4.0 + CWM OUDHS

Quote Originally Posted by lovelyangel 805 View Post
    can I use a 2800mAh rechargeable battery for the samsung galaxy s4 i9500 on the sprint s4 sph-l720? I am looking to buy a spare battery for my galaxy s4 sph-l720
    I would not pay for the Samsung battery, and I would not buy just any OEM battery. Stick with a trust company like Anker, known to sell high quality products.

Here's what you want, for only $12 and it's highly rated/reviewed from Anker:
    Amazon.com: [NFC/Google Wallet Capable] Anker® 2600mAh Li-ion Replacement Battery For Samsung Galaxy S4, GT-I9505, GT-I9500, SGH-M919(T-Mobile), SCH-I545(Verizon), SGH-I337(AT&T), SPH-L720(Sprint) [18-Month Warranty]: Cell Phones & Accessories

If you want more than just 1 battery, say a deal on 2 or batteries + spare battery charger, just go to Amazon.com and search "anker samsung galaxy s4" and you'll see a bunch of options.
    Thanked by:
    fkpalm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreii View Post
    I would not pay for the Samsung battery, and I would not buy just any OEM battery. Stick with a trust company like Anker, known to sell high quality products.

Here's what you want, for only $12 and it's highly rated/reviewed from Anker:
    Amazon.com: [NFC/Google Wallet Capable] Anker® 2600mAh Li-ion Replacement Battery For Samsung Galaxy S4, GT-I9505, GT-I9500, SGH-M919(T-Mobile), SCH-I545(Verizon), SGH-I337(AT&T), SPH-L720(Sprint) [18-Month Warranty]: Cell Phones & Accessories

If you want more than just 1 battery, say a deal on 2 or batteries + spare battery charger, just go to Amazon.com and search "anker samsung galaxy s4" and you'll see a bunch of options.
    I would advice sticking with the Samsung battery if you get the 50% coupon they handed out to people registering.
    Otherwise I'd recommend going with something a little bit better than that Anker battery, if you read the back it states "Do not charge battery with voltage higher than 4.35. Please check your charger before charging." This is a rather odd warning to be perfectly honest.
    Chances are the device's power system downvolts the current for charging the current, and may split it into 2 rails, (maybe just be 1). Or it may be using the 5v current straight from the charger to charge it. Either way rather weird to put that into a label for no reason other than to invalidate someone's warranty since it is not likely the consumer will know how to check it.\

Edit: seems NFC doesn't work with that battery.
    Thanked by:
    CrackBerry Convert

Global Posts
    3,236 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by asanatheist View Post
    I would advice sticking with the Samsung battery if you get the 50% coupon they handed out to people registering.
    Otherwise I'd recommend going with something a little bit better than that Anker battery, if you read the back it states "Do not charge battery with voltage higher than 4.35. Please check your charger before charging." This is a rather odd warning to be perfectly honest.
    Chances are the device's power system downvolts the current for charging the current, and may split it into 2 rails, (maybe just be 1). Or it may be using the 5v current straight from the charger to charge it. Either way rather weird to put that into a label for no reason other than to invalidate someone's warranty since it is not likely the consumer will know how to check it.\

Edit: seems NFC doesn't work with that battery.
    Honestly the Samsung battery is a waste of money. Anker is one of the most highly rated companies selling on Amazon.com and their batteries have tons of reviews with a very high rating. I think you're just being a bit alarmist which is not really warranted with a $12 battery that has 4.5/5 stars with > 100 reviews. Your warnings would definitely be worth taking if this were an unrated/reviewed product by some random/unknown seller, but that's clearly not the case.

I guess you read one of the negative reviews about the NFC. If you just read the highest rated reviews, you'd see that initially there were issues, but the current version of the battery being sold by Anker has 100% NFC functionality, so no need to worry there.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreii View Post
    Honestly the Samsung battery is a waste of money. Anker is one of the most highly rated companies selling on Amazon.com and their batteries have tons of reviews with a very high rating. I think you're just being a bit alarmist which is not really warranted with a $12 battery that has 4.5/5 stars with > 100 reviews. Your warnings would definitely be worth taking if this were an unrated/reviewed product by some random/unknown seller, but that's clearly not the case.

I guess you read one of the negative reviews about the NFC. If you just read the highest rated reviews, you'd see that initially there were issues, but the current version of the battery being sold by Anker has 100% NFC functionality, so no need to worry there.
    Not sure why but your promoting Anker pretty seriously. Im sure for $12 it works fine but I know a bit about batteries, and for $12 chances are its Chinese made battery cells which won't last as long as the Japan cels in the OEM.

Edit: It's called skepticism, not alarmist. If i wanted to be an alarmist, I'd say something along the lines of the batteries always catch on fire.
    For $8 difference if you got the 50% off, the OEM battery is good way to buy peace of mind.

Not to mention with Amazon you gotta buy $25 for free shipping otherwise that $12 battery becomes more of a $16-$18 battery.
    Last edited by asanatheist; 08-20-2013 at 09:41 AM.

I have been using the anker batteries since release I find them to be as good if not better then OEM. As far as nfc it works fine used it numerous times with no problems.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

I wouldn't worry about that. Charging it higher than that would ruin any battery that would work in this phone (or most phones). They just don't want to be held responsible if you try charging it with something way out of spec. It's the same reason the Samsung batteries say to only ever use a Samsung charger.
    CrackBerry Convert

Global Posts
    3,236 Global Posts
    ROM

Not sure why but your promoting Anker pretty seriously. Im sure for $12 it works fine but I know a bit about batteries, and for $12 chances are its Chinese made battery cells which won't last as long as the Japan cels in the OEM.

Edit: It's called skepticism, not alarmist. If i wanted to be an alarmist, I'd say something along the lines of the batteries always catch on fire.
    For $8 difference if you got the 50% off, the OEM battery is good way to buy peace of mind.

Not to mention with Amazon you gotta buy $25 for free shipping otherwise that $12 battery becomes more of a $16-$18 battery.
    I am promoting Anker because I have bought from them several times and never been less than 100% satisfied. Don't trust me, trust their record on Amazon.com and their many products with almost all excellent reviews. I'm sure 2 minutes of research will confirm my statements.

Anyways, I get free shipping with Amazon Prime - OP might too, who knows. OP might not have the 50% coupon, who knows. I'm also not sure if the Samsung store gives free shipping or not but I bet Amazon.com has better customer service. I'd also bet Anker has better customer service than Samsung.

Quote Originally Posted by garublador View Post
    I wouldn't worry about that. Charging it higher than that would ruin any battery that would work in this phone (or most phones). They just don't want to be held responsible if you try charging it with something way out of spec. It's the same reason the Samsung batteries say to only ever use a Samsung charger.
    The stock charger outputs 5v at 2 amps or about 10 watts. That's why I said it was strange.

Edit by Chinese cells not lasting as long I meant in terms of charging cycles.

Global Posts
    759 Global Posts

This is true of any LiIon battery no matter who makes it. Anything over about 4.2 will shorten the life. Anything over about 4.3 and you risk an explosion. It doesn't mean anything unusual.

The stock charger outputs 5v at 2 amps or about 10 watts. That's why I said it was strange.

Edit by Chinese cells not lasting as long I meant in terms of charging cycles.
    The stock charger doesn't plug into your battery. It plugs into your phone and your phone has a battery charger circuit that charges the battery. What the Anker battery is saying is that you don't want the voltage at the battery terminals to go above that value. That's true for any battery that will work with this, or pretty much any, phone.

Quote Originally Posted by garublador View Post
    The stock charger doesn't plug into your battery. It plugs into your phone and your phone has a battery charger circuit that charges the battery. What the Anker battery is saying is that you don't want the voltage at the battery terminals to go above that value. That's true for any battery that will work with this, or pretty much any, phone.
    Not sure why they would say that when the battery is made for the S4. As I said, weird statement to put in a battery.
    Just realized something though, maybe they meant for people using spare battery chargers?

Just realized something though, maybe they meant for people using spare battery chargers?
    Exactly. Samsung has a similar warning about their batteries, but they're more specific and they say you have to use a Samsung charger.