Samsung Galaxy S4 - No "Move to SD" option.

craziieone

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone, im new to this forum. But i figured this was the best place to ask about my current problem.

So as the title states, i have a Galaxy S4, about 3 weeks old now.
Model Number: GT-I9505
Android V: 4.2.2
Kernel version: 3.4.0-431985 (not too sure what this is, but everyone seems to be posting in their post.)
Current Firmware. (according to Kies): PDA:MDE / PHONE:MD8 / CSC:MD8 (VAU)

So basically, my question is, how come my phone does not have the "Move to SD" option in the Application Manager, when i select an app. And when in the Application manager there would normally be the tabs; Downloaded, Running on SD, Running and All .. correct? or something along those lines.

I used to be a iPhone user and recently just switched to Android. But i was assured that i could have the extra memory via SD card, which i have, and that larger apps can be transferred. Normally i wouldnt mind as much that there isnt an option. As i read up on other forums that apparently it was never meant to happen. But that there was a new update some where. The main issue is that my uncle and friend have exactly the same phone as me. But they have the option.

My question is, is there a way to fix this? Is this normal? Have i been duped and given a older version of the phone that doesnt support this.

I have attached (hopefully) three screenshots of what i am talking about and i hope you can help me figure this out.

Thanks
Joshua

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-08-20-15-24-12.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-08-20-15-24-12.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot_2013-08-20-15-24-25.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-08-20-15-24-25.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot_2013-08-20-15-26-43.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-08-20-15-26-43.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 67

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone, im new to this forum. But i figured this was the best place to ask about my current problem.

So as the title states, i have a Galaxy S4, about 3 weeks old now.
Model Number: GT-I9505
Android V: 4.2.2
Kernel version: 3.4.0-431985 (not too sure what this is, but everyone seems to be posting in their post.)
Current Firmware. (according to Kies): PDA:MDE / PHONE:MD8 / CSC:MD8 (VAU)

So basically, my question is, how come my phone does not have the "Move to SD" option in the Application Manager, when i select an app. And when in the Application manager there would normally be the tabs; Downloaded, Running on SD, Running and All .. correct? or something along those lines.

I used to be a iPhone user and recently just switched to Android. But i was assured that i could have the extra memory via SD card, which i have, and that larger apps can be transferred. Normally i wouldnt mind as much that there isnt an option. As i read up on other forums that apparently it was never meant to happen. But that there was a new update some where. The main issue is that my uncle and friend have exactly the same phone as me. But they have the option.

My question is, is there a way to fix this? Is this normal? Have i been duped and given a older version of the phone that doesnt support this.

I have attached (hopefully) three screenshots of what i am talking about and i hope you can help me figure this out.

Thanks
Joshua

Welcome to the forums and Android!
You are going through the steps properly. Way to go! Here is a missing piece of crucial information. 'App X' needs to have the ability to be moved to the SD card supported by the app developer. So, if they choose not to allow it to be moved, then it can't.
Keep this in mind: Android OS has disallowed moving apps to the SD card since the introduction of 4.0 or Ice Cream Sandwich, so going on about 2 years now. And even on Gingerbread (the previous OS version 2.3) wasn't widely supported. So, this new thing being rereleased, is relatively new to developers, and they may be working on the issue now.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Although, now that I think about it, if you do the same steps to get to the screenshots you did, going to bloatware apps, say like Yahoo! Finance or APMobile, you can uninstall updates, and then disable the app. This will generate some more room on your internal memory (not much, but some), and it will also open up some RAM for your use.

craziieone

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums and Android!
You are going through the steps properly. Way to go! Here is a missing piece of crucial information. 'App X' needs to have the ability to be moved to the SD card supported by the app developer. So, if they choose not to allow it to be moved, then it can't.
Keep this in mind: Android OS has disallowed moving apps to the SD card since the introduction of 4.0 or Ice Cream Sandwich, so going on about 2 years now. And even on Gingerbread (the previous OS version 2.3) wasn't widely supported. So, this new thing being rereleased, is relatively new to developers, and they may be working on the issue now.

The thing is, i have a Sandisk Ultra 32GB Class 10 SD Card. My uncle does not. In fact he doesn't have a SD card at all, yet his phone running the exact same software version as me, is given the option to do so.
I called up Samsung Customer Service, and they told me to try and do a factory resest, wasting me 2 hours as it did absolutely nothing.
And then they gave me the number of a place that fixes Samsungs and they told me that apparently its a newish issue, that they tried to fix for another customer and it didnt work for them.
So i wanted to ask around and see if i was not the only person.
Also to clarify i am from Australia, so i dont know how different it is for everyone else.

Although, now that I think about it, if you do the same steps to get to the screenshots you did, going to bloatware apps, say like Yahoo! Finance or APMobile, you can uninstall updates, and then disable the app. This will generate some more room on your internal memory (not much, but some), and it will also open up some RAM for your use.

Well my issue isn't the fact of lack of memory. Its more say the principle of having the "option" to do so.

iannk

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the exact same situation. Just bought a 32gb Class 10 Sandisk card but unable to move any apps to the card. The option isn't showing up at all.

I'm also running 4.2.2 and as software update implies, is the latest version.

Will try to do a bit more digging to see if I can find a solution and I'll be happy to report back if I have any updates.

craziieone

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the exact same situation. Just bought a 32gb Class 10 Sandisk card but unable to move any apps to the card. The option isn't showing up at all.

I'm also running 4.2.2 and as software update implies, is the latest version.

Will try to do a bit more digging to see if I can find a solution and I'll be happy to report back if I have any updates.

Please do, if you find anything that would be nice, ive also contacted Vodafone to see if they can provide me with any options, like say replace the phone or something. Since it is a brand new plan.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys

Would you guys do me a favour? Go to Settings -More tab -About Device -check your Build Number and post it here please?

The Galaxy S4 comes standard with 4.2.2 but that doesn't mean you will have the SD option as that option came in a recent FW revision, think the build number for that revision ended with MEA.

It sounds to me like you guys have older firmware. Go to Settings -More tab -About device -Software Update -click Update, if there is a new update let it update.

craziieone

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys

Would you guys do me a favour? Go to Settings -More tab -About Device -check your Build Number and post it here please?

The Galaxy S4 comes standard with 4.2.2 but that doesn't mean you will have the SD option as that option came in a recent FW revision, think the build number for that revision ended with MEA.

It sounds to me like you guys have older firmware. Go to Settings -More tab -About device -Software Update -click Update, if there is a new update let it update.

well my one ends with MDE .. but ive tried several times to update the software and it just tells me that it is the latest available.

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
The firmware update will be provided by your cellphone carrier, not Samsung. You need to check with your carrier about the availability/timing of the update.

craziieone

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
The firmware update will be provided by your cellphone carrier, not Samsung. You need to check with your carrier about the availability/timing of the update.

Okay, so basically what your saying is, i might not have this option, because Vodafone has not yet issued it? Very well i will wait and see what happens. Might also contact them to see when and how.

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I'd suggest contacting them; that way you'll know whether it's already been issued and you're not getting a notification for some reason, or whether it's still pending.

Bmilano3161

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Same boat as everyone here. Check for software update, says I have the latest installed. None of apps have thw Move to SD card option. In short, I think it is simply a firmware issue. Once the update is offered and installed, who knows when that will be, then we will be able to move apps as we all want to. If anyone else has any more up to date, please post here. Thanks.

craziieone

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Oh sorry, i completely forgot about this thread, if not for Bmilano's post.
I got an update probably about a week or two ago for my S4, a small firmware update from what it looked like. I can now move apps to the sd card, well move the major portions of the app, as it turns out that it isnt the entire app, just the larger chunks.

From what i see. As long as your "About Device" in the "Settings>More" category is yellow, then it should be available. (as it was previously blue)
Im with Vodafone and my build number now ends with MG4

Ashish Gandhi1

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Move to SD is disabled android 4 onwards. Also App2SD AppMgrIII etc all are useless. I found best solution to this problem after a-week-long search on google I found this very useful new app called FolderMount

see: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...details?id=com.devasque.fmount&token=qK_QQScJ

Of note, you need to Root your phone. Root It by Easiest means Mobogenie

I tried it on 3 folders (in free version only 3 can be tried) and then immediately bought the pro version; its worth.. just cleared lot of place on my Galaxy Mega 6.3.

Also, You might be interested in this please check
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...?id=com.ficeto.alliancemanager&token=B5WXjpoE

This App customizes your android phone and allows you to uninstall Built-in Apps and get more free space on internal memory (called as Bloatware, many of which we never use and never need)

Cheers;)

Ashish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678