Play Store Google Music

Rameilb

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

I am sure this has been asked many times before (sorry I couldn't find the answer on here).

I was using the play store feature and purchased a song on there. Now when I go to listen to the song, it says "Waiting for music to sync", then says "Your music is currently being added, please wait a moment and try again"

I just bought the S4 yesterday and have never used a Android product before.

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Rameil

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Do you have Wi-Fi or mobile data on? You need an internet connection in order to play the music from the cloud. Also make sure you have background sync on.

Rameilb

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
Thanks for the repsonse.

I have both Wi-Fi and mobile data and have sync on.

So I now can play the song through Google Play, but cannot access it anywhere else on the phone. In google play I did select "Keep on Device".

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Google Music can only be played with the Google Play Music app. If you "keep it on the device" that app will then allow you to play the song without an internet connection. If that is not checked you will need a cell or wifi connection to listen to the music. You can load Google Music Manager on a Mac, Windows or Linux desktop and download the song as an MP3 which you can then do whatever you want with it put it on non google devices etc..

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
Thanks for the repsonse.

I have both Wi-Fi and mobile data and have sync on.

So I now can play the song through Google Play, but cannot access it anywhere else on the phone. In google play I did select "Keep on Device".

Play music songs can only be played thru the play music app. If you want the actual mp3 file of the song you bought you have to download it on a computer then move to your phone and then you can access it in any app. Do not buy play music if you want to use another music player and do not want to deal with always using a computer to do so. One of the crappy features of play music.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's also worth noting that if you make a song available offline, it will not be saved in a convenient folder, and the filename will be coded. I believe this is a way for Google to decrease the incidence of illegal distribution.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
It's also worth noting that if you make a song available offline, it will not be saved in a convenient folder, and the filename will be coded. I believe this is a way for Google to decrease the incidence of illegal distribution.

Yeah but if they wanted to do that then they wouldn't allow PC downloads at all. It's just them wanting people to use their app. I mean they're letting you download the music on a computer which is more likely to be used for p2p file sharing than a mobile device. So I definitely don't buy them trying to protect anything other than their own interests. Like any other company.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah but if they wanted to do that then they wouldn't allow PC downloads at all. It's just them wanting people to use their app. I mean they're letting you download the music on a computer which is more likely to be used for p2p file sharing than a mobile device. So I definitely don't buy them trying to protect anything other than their own interests. Like any other company.

I think it's a balance that they, like any other company, have to strike. On the one hand, they want to give their customers some ability to manage their music. On the other hand, they are a for-profit company, so of course they'd like you to use their app if at all possible. And I think they would have to bear some responsibility if their service led to a huge amount of music piracy.

It seems to me that the approach Google takes is to make it just a little inconvenient for people to mass-pirate music. They let you download your music onto your computer, but in order to do so in an unlimited fashion, you have to download your entire library all at once, which isn't the most convenient thing to do. From the website, you can download individual songs or albums, but they limit you to downloading it a total of twice. You're right that people can illegally share their music from their desktops to file sharing sites, but remember also that the general trend of tech usage is that personal computers are tanking while mobile devices are skyrocketing.

Anyway, this is just what I think they're doing. I don't work for Google, and I haven't talked to anyone who has intimate knowledge of these particular policies. If you have, then you probably know a lot more than I do.:)