1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Upper sensor brings temporary black screen

I realized a while ago that very often my samsung s4 would bring a black screen that lasts about a second. The problem repeats itself constantly which makes it very annoying.

After a while I realized its when I place my finger over one of the upper sensors of the phone. Since in order to access the notifications you need to slide the screen from up to bottom it happens very easily that I hover the sensor and hence the huge frequency in which this happens.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Upper sensor brings temporary black screen

You're probably putting your finger over the ambient light sensor, which is then dimming the screen (if you have Automatic Brightness on), since the phone thinks you've stepped into a dark room and therefore doesn't need to have the screen so bright.
    CrackBerry Convert

Global Posts
    3,236 Global Posts
    ROM
    Goldeneye 4.0 + CWM OUDHS

Quote Originally Posted by Davsantos View Post
    I realized a while ago that very often my samsung s4 would bring a black screen that lasts about a second. The problem repeats itself constantly which makes it very annoying.

After a while I realized its when I place my finger over one of the upper sensors of the phone. Since in order to access the notifications you need to slide the screen from up to bottom it happens very easily that I hover the sensor and hence the huge frequency in which this happens.
    Are you saying it happens even when you're not on a call? The proximity sensor is up there, which turns off the screen when you put the phone up to your ear. A sensor detects something close to it, assume it's your head/ear, and turns off the screen so you don't press buttons by mistake. If you have it on speakerphone and are using the phone, it will also do the same thing...now if you are seeing that behavior when not on a call...that's very strange.

can any one help i have the same problem? thanks

Had the same problem and practically disabled all the features on my phone to figure it out. Found that simply restarting my phone pretty much fixed the problem. It occurs after I've made several calls (plugging headphones on and off) and I think it screws up the proximity sensors.

If the problem still happens after you restart, you may want to get your phone checked.

FYI I started having the same problem on my Moto RAZR HD some time after updating to 9.30.1.XT926.Verizon.en.US (the current version for the RAZR HD as of this writing). Reboot fixes it but it is very annoying.

HTC One M7. I had same problem, for me that was Skype, buster app. Just try kill you skype and launch again