Upper sensor brings temporary black screen

Davsantos

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I realized a while ago that very often my samsung s4 would bring a black screen that lasts about a second. The problem repeats itself constantly which makes it very annoying.

After a while I realized its when I place my finger over one of the upper sensors of the phone. Since in order to access the notifications you need to slide the screen from up to bottom it happens very easily that I hover the sensor and hence the huge frequency in which this happens.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You're probably putting your finger over the ambient light sensor, which is then dimming the screen (if you have Automatic Brightness on), since the phone thinks you've stepped into a dark room and therefore doesn't need to have the screen so bright.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I realized a while ago that very often my samsung s4 would bring a black screen that lasts about a second. The problem repeats itself constantly which makes it very annoying.

After a while I realized its when I place my finger over one of the upper sensors of the phone. Since in order to access the notifications you need to slide the screen from up to bottom it happens very easily that I hover the sensor and hence the huge frequency in which this happens.

Are you saying it happens even when you're not on a call? The proximity sensor is up there, which turns off the screen when you put the phone up to your ear. A sensor detects something close to it, assume it's your head/ear, and turns off the screen so you don't press buttons by mistake. If you have it on speakerphone and are using the phone, it will also do the same thing...now if you are seeing that behavior when not on a call...that's very strange.

Toby-girl

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Had the same problem and practically disabled all the features on my phone to figure it out. Found that simply restarting my phone pretty much fixed the problem. It occurs after I've made several calls (plugging headphones on and off) and I think it screws up the proximity sensors.

If the problem still happens after you restart, you may want to get your phone checked.

chuckh1958

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
FYI I started having the same problem on my Moto RAZR HD some time after updating to 9.30.1.XT926.Verizon.en.US (the current version for the RAZR HD as of this writing). Reboot fixes it but it is very annoying.

LILIAKU

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem with a Samsung Galaxy S4 and was going nuts till I found this thread and a reboot did the job.
Thanks Toby-girl :cool:

JIthesh56

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Had the same problem and practically disabled all the features on my phone to figure it out. Found that simply restarting my phone pretty much fixed the problem. It occurs after I've made several calls (plugging headphones on and off) and I think it screws up the proximity sensors.

If the problem still happens after you restart, you may want to get your phone checked.

the problem is solved only temporarily...it again happen

Milwaukee Appliance

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
I ran this test and your screen is only supposed to change color from white to green during the test. My screen blanks out completely during the test.
Not sure if the sensor is bad or if it is a software or and OS issue yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8G6ksaciho
Need advice.

I just received a SM-T705Y, KitKat. When I am in only some applications not all, the screen shuts completely off when my finger passes over the two sensors/camera near the word "SAMSUNG" at the top of the device. I have tested the cause and done it repeatedly by putting a small piece of black electrical tape on the sensor.
With the tape on the sensor, the screen never shuts off. The screen then will come back on several seconds after I remove my finger/tape from the sensor. Also, I do not have to actually touch the sensor to get the screen to turn off. But it activates the lock screen when it does turn off.
ANNOYING !!!
My SM-T705Y is not rooted. It is in developer mode.
I think its the sensor that turns the screen off when you take a phone call is still stuck on ???
I have the phone proximity sensor turned off in: Settings> When I'm the phone screen The screen stays on.
Auto adjust screen tone : ON
Auto brightness is off
I have the "Smart Stay" turned off in: Settings>Device>Display.
Screen timeout set to 10 minutes. Screen mode set to "AMOLED Cinema"
I have restarted, not rebooted the SM-T705Y

Kalyn Ryan

Oct 1, 2017
Visit site
Are you saying it happens even when you're not on a call? The proximity sensor is up there, which turns off the screen when you put the phone up to your ear. A sensor detects something close to it, assume it's your head/ear, and turns off the screen so you don't press buttons by mistake. If you have it on speakerphone and are using the phone, it will also do the same thing...now if you are seeing that behavior when not on a call...that's very strange.

My phone is doing the same thing all of a sudden. It's never done it before. is there a way to turn it off? Like make it to where even if I cover the sensor it won't blacken my screen?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs