Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Wiggum333
  • 1 Post By thehoz
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Default Just changed from iPhone 4s to GS4 ... NEED HELP HERE ...

Hi all ...

I'm new here, first post here ... but not new to forums. Been on internet forums for a long time and hope that being a part of this one is a good experience like most of my others. That said, let's get to my questions...

I have searched and read a bit here already, as I recently switched from my iphone 4s to an AT&T GS4. I have not rooted yet, so if anyone knows which root kit is the right one to use, please advise? I only want to root right now, and continue using TouchWiz for the time being ... I just want the ability to "get behind the wall" so to speak, and open up my options to do things like turn on the WiFi hotspot w/out having to get AT&T's permission.

But now for my first, main issue that I want to discuss ... I'm using the stock "music" app (blue circle icon with musical note on it) and the Google "play music" app ... but i dont think that is relevant to this issue. The thing is, when i'm listening to music, and my phone is NOT plugged into a charger or sync cable to the computer, and i realize it needs to be plugged in, i do it. HOWEVER, when i plug it in while music is playing, the music volume goes to zero, and i get either or both a beep and a vibration (letting me know it's plugged in and charging) ... and then the music volume comes right back up to where it was ... THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY. I know that turning system notification sounds to 0 will keep the beep from happening ... but no matter what i do, i cant figure out how to stop the phone from giving me some kind of notification that it's now plugged in and charging. To some, this may not be annoying at all, but to me it's VERY annoying. My guess right now is that i would have to root my phone to disable this 'feature'... but i'm hopeful that there is a way to stop this with a non-rooted phone.

Next ... I have downloaded and used third-party launchers like Apex Pro and Nova launcher ... and they are nice, no doubt ... but the claims they make about offering you the red dots on your app icons (like an iphone does) when you get a notification from that app does not seem to be true ... sometimes it seems to work, sometimes it doesnt ... certain apps never give the red dots, etc. I'm getting used to the status bar notifications, but i really do think that red dots on the app icon are HEAVEN because it's so easy to flip thru pages of apps and see really quick which apps need attention. Can anyone explain the how/why about getting this feature on my phone? Is it even possible? Most of what i saw while searching/reading seemed to indicate that it may not be possible, and you just need to get used to the status bar notifications. I did see where you can get badges/alerts from a system level like an iphone ... but NOT the red dots on the app icons. Help?

I guess I'll leave it at that for now and see if we can get these issues resolved ... and I'll start another thread later (if required) to address anything further i need assistance on.

Thanks in advance to everyone who tries to help me,
    -Wiggum-

Default Re: Just changed from iPhone 4s to GS4 ... NEED HELP HERE ...

Welcome to the forums. I can't really help you with rooting that phone, but there are guides available. Rooting doesn't do anything to your Touchwiz experience or anything (you'd have to unlock the bootloader and load a Custom ROM for that), so rooting should be pretty painless for you.

For the music temporarily pausing when you plug it in....hmmm...I'm not sure. My GS3 does the same thing, but I never really was bothered with it. If you can turn that off, I'm not aware. I am pretty sure my old phone did that too, so maybe it's something with Android. Someone else might know.

For notifications, they don't really work like the iPhone, but you can get them (note, I haven't actually done this, but am thinking I might set it up since I have all the required pieces):
    [HOW-TO] Guide to Global Badge Notifications

In fact I think I'll give it a shot.

Welcome to the gs4! Hope youre loving it as much as I am

You mean the dots that show you how many notifications you have from that apo right? For the badges/red dots youre speaking of, I think you may have to pay for the pro/premium versions of those launchers, as it doesnt seem to come with the free versions. Default touchwiz has if you use the stock messaging/phone/email app, and I think the dl'd fb app has it as well. Thats as much as I know, sorry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Thanks for the responses so far ... I guess I have to live with the interruption in my music when i plug in the phone to charge.

As for the notifications, i never cared much for the banners or alerts from the iphone ... but dearly love the red dots w/ numbers in them on the upper right of the app icons on the iphone. I have bought the Apex PRO launcher, and the Apex Notifier ... and tried every combination of settings to get it to work right ... but unfortunately, not only did the general apps not get the red dots on them, my email and text message apps stopped getting the "red dots" too ... at least when i used a different icon for the app vs. what the factory touchwiz icons are.

I dont know anything about programming, but it baffles me that this isnt something that would be SIMPLE to implement ... and it baffles me that this isn't already in an app that's available for download for non-rooted phones. As I said before, i'm getting used to the notification bar at the top of the phone, but i can't imagine it will ever excite me as much as the red dots did ...

Again, thanks for the help so far. Now, it's time for me to look into rooting my phone. As I go to do more research, is there anything specific I should know about what i'm looking for? My phone is only a little over a month old, and is an AT&T issued GS4 ... I have no idea if there have been any software/firmware updates that would stop me from rooting the phone, or at least dictate which root kit is the most proper/stable kit to use. I never jailbroke my iphone, and have never rooted an android ... so, needless to say, I am a bit nervous.

Thanks ...

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggum333 View Post
    Thanks for the responses so far ... I guess I have to live with the interruption in my music when i plug in the phone to charge.

As for the notifications, i never cared much for the banners or alerts from the iphone ... but dearly love the red dots w/ numbers in them on the upper right of the app icons on the iphone. I have bought the Apex PRO launcher, and the Apex Notifier ... and tried every combination of settings to get it to work right ... but unfortunately, not only did the general apps not get the red dots on them, my email and text message apps stopped getting the "red dots" too ... at least when i used a different icon for the app vs. what the factory touchwiz icons are.

I dont know anything about programming, but it baffles me that this isnt something that would be SIMPLE to implement ... and it baffles me that this isn't already in an app that's available for download for non-rooted phones. As I said before, i'm getting used to the notification bar at the top of the phone, but i can't imagine it will ever excite me as much as the red dots did ...

Again, thanks for the help so far. Now, it's time for me to look into rooting my phone. As I go to do more research, is there anything specific I should know about what i'm looking for? My phone is only a little over a month old, and is an AT&T issued GS4 ... I have no idea if there have been any software/firmware updates that would stop me from rooting the phone, or at least dictate which root kit is the most proper/stable kit to use. I never jailbroke my iphone, and have never rooted an android ... so, needless to say, I am a bit nervous.

Thanks ...
    The red dots are called badges. Might be easier to search for help that way. :-)

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

thanks!
    - Wiggum -

AT&T ... SGS4 ... Android v4.3 ... non-rooted
    Shanicenicolle likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

ok ... so my next question is this ...

on my iphone i used Perfect Browser for internet (instead of safari or any other third party browser). One of the many features I loved about this browwer was that - within the app itself - I could set the screen orientation and lock it as such regardless of whether or not I had screen rotation locked on the phone's OS. I always kept that browser locked into "landscape" mode.

Now, on my GS4, I prefer to use Firefox (at least so far) ... but it does not seem to have a screen orientation lock built in.

That said ... Is there an app I can download that will allow me to set the default orientation of certain apps, and keep it "locked" that way? If not, is there a good browser for android that has the built-in setting for locking the screen orientation in either portrait or landscape mode?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Wiggum333; 08-28-2013 at 11:20 AM.
    - Wiggum -

Hello,
    Boat browser is what I use and it has a separate setting in the app itself for orientation default so you can lock it to portrait or landscape regardless of what the phone setting is on. I also use apex launcher and I enabled badge notifications and it works fine for me so I'm not sure why it's stopped showing badges for incoming notifications for you.

Posted via Android Central App
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David B79 View Post
    Hello,
    Boat browser is what I use and it has a separate setting in the app itself for orientation default so you can lock it to portrait or landscape regardless of what the phone setting is on. I also use apex launcher and I enabled badge notifications and it works fine for me so I'm not sure why it's stopped showing badges for incoming notifications for you.

Thanks David ... I'll give Boat Browser a try ... and I'll try installing Apex Launcher again just to see if i can get the badges working right.

One question though about the badges ... do you only get badges for email, phone and text/sms? Or do you get them for all your apps? If I recall, there are only about 5 programs that you can set for badges ... Email, Gmail, Phone, Text/SMS ... and something else. If it's not too much trouble, maybe you could tell me how you have all your settings for notifications so i can try the same setup?

Thanks again.
    - Wiggum -

I came from iPhone 5 to the s4. Love it of course. I rooted as soon as I could. I have since unrooted, with the latest update to the firmware. I don't miss it. I use nova to customize the look and feel. I can even enable tethering with es file explorer...free, and I am on att. The only thing I do miss from being rooted is an ad blocker that works across the device.

Shanicenicolle likes this.

Yes Apex notifier doesn't show badge notifications for all apps. Check this link out to another thread here on Android Central on enabling global badge notifications.

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David B79 View Post
    Yes Apex notifier doesn't show badge notifications for all apps. Check this link out to another thread here on Android Central on enabling global badge notifications.

Thanks! I will check that out later.
    - Wiggum -

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thehoz View Post
    ... I can even enable tethering with es file explorer...free, and I am on att. ...
    Hoz ... I sent you a PM, but figured I would note that here in case you didn't see it ... I'd love to know how you enable the tethering with ES File Explorer ... I have installed that app, but don't know what to do now. Help?

Thanks!
    - Wiggum -