Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Default GS4 - predictive text, where is "Recapture"?

Hi guys.

So I recently switched to a GS4 from a Galaxy Nexus (it ate **** and died an unceremonious death the other day), and though I love the phone for a million reasons, I've wanted to smash it to pieces about 14 times so far because of the predictive text.

For example, if I try and type "P.S.", I type the P, then the second I hit the period, it autocorrects it to "Please.". Since P.S. isn't even in my suggestions at the top, I literally cannot type "P.S." without turning predictive text off entirely. Hitting backspace on the Nexus would go back to my previously typed word, so if I really did want to type "****ers" and not "tickets", it would allow me to type "****ers".

Is there a way to do this on the GS4? I notice there is no "Recapture" option like there was on the Nexus and the GS3. Why is this?? Am I missing something? Is there another way to enable it? I hate looking at the suggestions at the top and selecting one before I even know if autocorrect is going to reject my word.

It may sound like a small problem to some, but to me it's bloody exasperating. I was trying to type a simple text and it made it so difficult I was actually questioning the whole Samsung line.

Anyway, I'd love some help, as long as it's not "pay for Swiftkey or some equivalent product because the phone you paid $500 for doesn't have an adequate means of typing words".

Thanks!

Global Posts
    462 Global Posts

Default Re: GS4 - predictive text, where is "Recapture"?

Download Google Keyboard. Free and is exactly what you had on your Nexus.

That doesn't excuse Samsung's crappy built-in keyboard, but at least it helps.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 8.0 via the Android Central App
    Nexus 5 • Nexus 7 • Surface Pro 3

thanks for this suggestion.

cannot believe i did not think of this before.

the s4 keyboards is generally great but i like the simplicity of the google one and that you can press back to revert autocorrected word

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Madsen1 View Post
    thanks for this suggestion.

cannot believe i did not think of this before.

the s4 keyboards is generally great but i like the simplicity of the google one and that you can press back to revert autocorrected word
    SwiftKey is probably the best keyboard, however if you are used to the Google one stick with that.

Posted via Android Central App

good point,
    i initially returned to the samsung s4 keyboard again because of its great prediction (it uses swiftkey)
    not sure i will try the swiftkey but maybe to see if there are some differences