Home Button woes

Edible Walrus

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I got this phone 3 days ago and immediately I noticed the Home Button had some weird travel going on, but I dismissed that thinking that that was how they were made. Closer inspection showed it actually clicks quietly on the left side and not on the right. Is this going to mean I'm going to have to take this thing back now? Looking at the button it looks like it's a tiny bit to the left of its proper position.

It's getting on my nerves

What is it with things being made so badly these days? Pretty much everything I've bought has had some kind of problem resulting in it being returned (as many as 4 or 5 times) or a flaw causing it to stop working properly D: :'(

Actually registered just to ask this

rj160202

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
1) Maybe you're being overly anal about things
2) Do you not test something out before you buy it?
3) If you're returning "pretty much everything" 4-5 times, the problem doesn't likely rest with the purchased items.

Edible Walrus

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
1) Maybe you're being overly anal about things
2) Do you not test something out before you buy it?
3) If you're returning "pretty much everything" 4-5 times, the problem doesn't likely rest with the purchased items.

Great help dude, really, well done -_-

It's possible #1 is true
2) The thing that was returned 4 or 5 times was a computer. First one went down due to user error (something I realised after), so was given replacement which turned out faulty when started using it (was hopelessly slow and kept crashing even just on Word). So I was given a replacement, same story faulty touchpad, damaged speakers if I remember correctly), until they finally gave me a working one. DS Lite a few years back, purchased it, when the battery ran down, turned out it had something wrong with the charging circuit so it wouldn't charge. Router, worked fine for 3 weeks before it messed up. 360, got 11 months before it gave out (previously had a PS2 that was good for 5 or 6 years). Pair of earphones most recently, loose piece in one ear, returned within a day, replacement had exact same problem. Third time got a working set

How would I have been able to test any of those without first taking them home (therefore having bought them) and using them? Fair enough I opened the box to the phone before taking it home, but I had no reason to believe it had anything wrong with it. Don't think I'd heard much in the way of build quality issues with the S4 and I'd previously played around with on

3) Yes it does, see above

Zambzuk

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Aah the joy of tech, most of the time it hates me too lol, my s4 and note 8 I took back 3 to 4 times too lol untill i have up and got a surface rt and that worked perfect first time lol,

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Zambzuk

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Most tech I've found now and not as well made as they used to be, to many gimmicks and not enough spit and polish so to speak.

Edible Walrus

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Most tech I've found now and not as well made as they used to be, to many gimmicks and not enough spit and polish so to speak.

This. I have a PS1, roughly 13 years old and it still runs like it was bought just today. GBA SP, battle damaged (leaving a cool looking scratch on it), but runs like new. Only "issue" is you can get the power light to show low battery if you move the switch just right. DS Lite hinge cracked while it was in its case and, unmoved and unused o_O

OT, anyone know about this home button thing. To be honest, the click is very quiet

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I haven't seen This happen on my phone, and either way it doesn't sound like a huge issue. If it works, it shouldn't be a problem. With so many people wanting phones these days, sometimes quality control let's some things slide through by accident. As for the Xbox, maybe you should have bought a ps3? Nah I'm only kidding man, both systems are great

Posted by The Android Central app

Edible Walrus

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Bit off topic, but does anyone know how I get the phone to read the MP3 ID3 tags? There's one song that it's not reading for some reason, but in Windows Explorer, iTunes and my iPod Touch everything shows up fine (even when I open the music folder for the phone on my computer)

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Bit off topic, but does anyone know how I get the phone to read the MP3 ID3 tags? There's one song that it's not reading for some reason, but in Windows Explorer, iTunes and my iPod Touch everything shows up fine (even when I open the music folder for the phone on my computer)

Not really the place for it, so I'll try to help quickly. Download the free version of power amp and see if it can read it. If it can, it's your music player. If not, its the particular mp3 that may not have its identifying data formated properly for android

Edible Walrus

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Just seen the home button placement thing was an optical illusion...oops, my bad

Posted via Android Central App

EDIT:
*Hoping I don't jinx it* I think I may have fixed it. I jiggled the button a bit and the problem (travel and clicky-ness have gone for now :D). Now feels like a solid, well-made button. Think it's just like the 360's trigger buttons which squeak if you get them in the right place

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If you don't feel like the issue is fixed send it back. You probably paid a good penny for it and it's likely yours for the term of the contract (assuming you have one with the carrier). In addition, it might become problematic in the future, so best to have it at least looked at.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Edible Walrus

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
If you don't feel like the issue is fixed send it back. You probably paid a good penny for it and it's likely yours for the term of the contract (assuming you have one with the carrier). In addition, it might become problematic in the future, so best to have it at least looked at.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I'm going to get it looked at today. D:

Posted via Android Central App

Edible Walrus

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I went down there and they told me variance like that is normal. To be honest the issue was so minor anyway. One thing I don't like though is how it gets warm. Had mobile data on, routing, music playing and was in my pocket on a warm day. Started to feel it (noticeably warm verging uncomfortable, but not hot). Warm back and screen, cooled down again once I took it out. Guess it's expected with Snapdragon 1.9GHz and the load going through it (normal use for quite a while and it won't heat up at all, boot Temple Run 2 for a few minutes and it gets warm)

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I went down there and they told me variance like that is normal. To be honest the issue was so minor anyway. One thing I don't like though is how it gets warm. Had mobile data on, routing, music playing and was in my pocket on a warm day. Started to feel it (noticeably warm verging uncomfortable, but not hot). Warm back and screen, cooled down again once I took it out. Guess it's expected with Snapdragon 1.9GHz and the load going through it (normal use for quite a while and it won't heat up at all, boot Temple Run 2 for a few minutes and it gets warm)

Well if it has a high clock to blaze through processes, it's going to generate quite a lot of heat if the processor is running hard. I actually like this, the phone becomes a nice hand warmer if you're in a cold room or it's cold outside

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site

Careful. There was a news story just a couple days ago about the phone cause second degree burns. I had on, did not get that hot but fair warning

http://m.cbsnews.com/postmostwatch.rbml?videoid=50153956&feed_id=46

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 4

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Careful. There was a news story just a couple days ago about the phone cause second degree burns. I had on, did not get that hot but fair warning

http://m.cbsnews.com/postmostwatch.rbml?videoid=50153956&feed_id=46

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 4

All phones get hot, I've never had one get so hot that it would burn me though. I mean if it did get that hot, why would it be able to be sold? That's just a hazard. The phone might of been faulty, because that thing must have been on fire to burn somebody like that

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer