Another iphone user

oldschoolsig

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I am a 4+ year iphone user who has been eyeing android ever since the 5s and ios7 have been somewhat revealed. I am underwhelmed. One of my major beefs is that the iphone is a crappy phone for calls and reception. My last 4 phones have a pattern....they get great reception and call quality for a few months and it seems to go downhill. Last night at a stadium, I was getting no reception at all...my buddy with his s4 was getting all texts and call through and some spotty Internet. We are both att in dfw.
Any feedback on this is appreciated.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am a 4+ year iphone user who has been eyeing android ever since the 5s and ios7 have been somewhat revealed. I am underwhelmed. One of my major beefs is that the iphone is a crappy phone for calls and reception. My last 4 phones have a pattern....they get great reception and call quality for a few months and it seems to go downhill. Last night at a stadium, I was getting no reception at all...my buddy with his s4 was getting all texts and call through and some spotty Internet. We are both att in dfw.
Any feedback on this is appreciated.

Welcome to the forums and hopefully soon, Android!!

I do not have the S4, but the S3. Out of the box, you can highly customize your phone, from wallpapers, ringtones and notification tones, to widgets and launchers. Launchers are a different User Interface that by themselves can offer more changed to the device. You can change scrolling animations and speed, color themes, grid layout (number of App rows and columns), the list goes on and on with just launchers. All of this can be done without root access (Jailbreaking). Once root access comes into play, you can change ROMs, and that offers a whole new selection in customizing.

Best thing to do, and this is the fun part....go into AT&T, and play with phones. I would take several trips into stores just playing. I think AT&T already has the Moto X, the LG G2 is due out soon, as well as the Galaxy Note 3. Now, Samsung does have a history of subpar cell radios, but that doesn't mean they suck. They could just be better.

Something else to do before you go into stores: look up features of the phones. Literally make a list of features. As you figure out which ones you like circle them, and cross out ones you don't like.

The HTC One is a hit with longtime iPhone users. I will agree it is an extremely good phone. I love the screen, wish I could have it on my S3. However, one thing I like about Samsungs is the external SD card. I put music, pics, and ROM backups on that leaving more room for apps. Be advised: The 16 GB S4 will only have about 8.5 GB of user space after formatting, Android use and Samsung features. So, if the S4 is something you want, try to get the 32 GB.

I know I have thrown a lot at you. Any questions, ask away...

oldschoolsig

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums and hopefully soon, Android!!

I do not have the S4, but the S3. Out of the box, you can highly customize your phone, from wallpapers, ringtones and notification tones, to widgets and launchers. Launchers are a different User Interface that by themselves can offer more changed to the device. You can change scrolling animations and speed, color themes, grid layout (number of App rows and columns), the list goes on and on with just launchers. All of this can be done without root access (Jailbreaking). Once root access comes into play, you can change ROMs, and that offers a whole new selection in customizing.

Best thing to do, and this is the fun part....go into AT&T, and play with phones. I would take several trips into stores just playing. I think AT&T already has the Moto X, the LG G2 is due out soon, as well as the Galaxy Note 3. Now, Samsung does have a history of subpar cell radios, but that doesn't mean they suck. They could just be better.

Something else to do before you go into stores: look up features of the phones. Literally make a list of features. As you figure out which ones you like circle them, and cross out ones you don't like.

The HTC One is a hit with longtime iPhone users. I will agree it is an extremely good phone. I love the screen, wish I could have it on my S3. However, one thing I like about Samsungs is the external SD card. I put music, pics, and ROM backups on that leaving more room for apps. Be advised: The 16 GB S4 will only have about 8.5 GB of user space after formatting, Android use and Samsung features. So, if the S4 is something you want, try to get the 32 GB.

I know I have thrown a lot at you. Any questions, ask away...

Thanks...I have been reading up on much of the features and design of the phones you mention. I use my phone for business a lot, and as crazy as it sounds I need my phone to be a good phone. I am curious to get an idea on call reception and quality on the s4. My buddy's clearly was significantly bette than my 5 last night.
I would buy the htc one today if the camera was decent.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks...I have been reading up on much of the features and design of the phones you mention. I use my phone for business a lot, and as crazy as it sounds I need my phone to be a good phone. I am curious to get an idea on call reception and quality on the s4. My buddy's clearly was significantly bette than my 5 last night.

A lot of people like the HTC camera. I have seen some pics. They are really clear and sharp. My suggestion then: Play with your buddy's S4 for a few hours. Then check AT&Ts return policy on phones. You should be allowed at least one exchange in your contract. Try the HTC. If you don't like it shift to the S4.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

One thing I forgot to mention: Give learning the new OS time. You would be shifting to a new way of doing things, and it may get frustrating. We are all here to help, and some things can be answered by anybody, as Android is roughly the same across all devices.

leathernuts#WP

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I had the s4. Call quality was great. However, I personally was not getting great pictures with the camera. It was probably me. I felt my iPhone took better pics. My buddy who also jumped from an iPhone 5 to Android (s4) thought the opposite. Now the HTC one I'm on, I haven't had a problem yet. Very fast especially the focus. I won't lie though, it bothers me in the back of my head that its 4 mp versus 13mp.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I just got the HTC One and I've been very impressed, especially being a Samsung fan boy for many years.

I think it's really worth considering.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Everything Golfdriver said is the way to go. I'm using an HTC One, and the camera is stellar. I find myself taking pictures just to take pictures now, whereas with any other device before (including my stand alone camera) I wouldn't bother to take many at all. The S4 is a great phone, though. I won't say it's not.

leathernuts#WP

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I have had equal time on both, over a week, and both were loud and clear. Hopefully someone can chime in who's had longer use.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Call reception/quality comparisons would be appreciated...

Again, I've been a Samsung fanboy and its no secret that Samsung has always fell pray to the complaints of not having the best quality radios in the game. Its happened on their Galaxy line, its happened in the Nexus based Samsung phones (Nexus S/Nexus S 4G/Galaxy Nexus). I personally never had a problem making calls or getting a signal but I know the overall signal quality in strength isn't what it probably could be compared to what other OEM's are getting like Moto or HTC, Sony, etc.

I'm not here to bash the Galaxy S3/S4 lineup but same time I know the history and its been discussed and debated for a long time now. Some say its carrier based issues, other say its the hardware. I love the Galaxy S line, my first Android was the original Galaxy S. At the same time I'm very happy I decided to take a journey in a different direction and explore HTC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool