Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gary Jain
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Only sync Gmail and not contacts

I don't want to sync any of my gmail contacts to my phone but under sync settings, if I turn off sync contacts, my email messages will not be synced either. Is there a way to sync only emails and not Google contacts as well?

I have the same problem with my Yahoo account, its an old account that I primarily use for signups and I don't want to sync my contacts, just the email messages.

Thanks

Default Re: Only sync Gmail and not contacts

Welcome to Android Central! I think you can turn off Contacts sync on its own. Go to Settings/Accounts-Google, then select your Google Account. You should see "Contacts" and "Gmail" as separate entries. Uncheck "Contacts," and I think that should turn off Contact sync while keeping Gmail sync active.
    Thanked by:
    AndroidSkull

Global Posts
    3,850 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vitreous,JellyBelly,OEM

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Welcome to Android Central! I think you can turn off Contacts sync on its own. Go to Settings/Accounts-Google, then select your Google Account. You should see "Contacts" and "Gmail" as separate entries. Uncheck "Contacts," and I think that should turn off Contact sync while keeping Gmail sync active.
    That's 100% correct!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
    ***GET IN WHERE YOU FIT IN***
    Snitches get stitches
    Boneyard-D1,Dinc,dX,Gtab7",Tbolt,iPad1,Bionic,Xoom,iPad2,Charge,GNexus,SGS3,Razr Maxx,Nexus7...the list shall continue
    Living Dead-iPad3,GalaxyNexus,Razr MaxxHD
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I've searched around and I saw that solution also, but for the S4 there doesn't seem to be any check boxes, if I select contacts it starts to manually sync them, I attached a screen shot of what the options look like. Thank you for your help.
    Only sync Gmail and not contacts-2013-09-01-07.48.29.jpg

Is your Background Sync on or off? If it's off, you won't get the checkboxes. Make sure it's turned on, then check that screen again.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Is your Background Sync on or off? If it's off, you won't get the checkboxes. Make sure it's turned on, then check that screen again.
    That did it!! Thanks so much, I'm new to the phone so still getting used to post-iPhone freedom
    B. Diddy likes this.

where to get background sync