wifi calling

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
So whats good about wifi calling? I get that its great for areas that cant receive a signal, but on my phone when I loss wifi signal, my phone call drops instead of switching over to regular phone call methods. Has this happened to anyone else? Im just new to the wifi calling arena. Also, does having wifi calling on deplete the battery further vs wifi calling off? Thanks all.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
So whats good about wifi calling? I get that its great for areas that cant receive a signal, but on my phone when I loss wifi signal, my phone call drops instead of switching over to regular phone call methods. Has this happened to anyone else? Im just new to the wifi calling arena. Also, does having wifi calling on deplete the battery further vs wifi calling off? Thanks all.

I love wi-fi calling because i never did get very good cell reception at home.

I've found over the years that wi-fi is almost always available and it is convenient to be on wi-fi for other reasons than calling. (I have used 250 megs of data this month, and my cycle is almost up.) I default to wi-fi, don't have to switch back and forth, don't have to worry about data plans, and as a bonus international wi-fi calling incurs no roaming charges (check with your carrier).

Re dropped calls---never an issue for me, not once in years. In my usage pattern, your mileage may differ, I'm almost always on wi-fi for extended periods of time, at work or home. I'm not the guy popping into a coffee shop for 3 minutes, getting phone calls 15 times a day and trying to walk down the street as I lose the signal. That scenario doesn't affect me. For one thing, I don't actually use it all that much as a phone. If I get a call, it will be brief.

Plus, I'm either in a location where I will stay for awhile, or I have a couple of key coffee shops where I stay, too. I don't let the phone casually hop on to wi-fi at some irregular location I visit unless I specifically need it. Then, it's even less of an issue. The "normal" locations work fine. The irregular ones aren't allowed to proceed.

If you're constantly darting in and out of places and getting a lot of intense calls, this may not work as well for you.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

It doesn't deplete the battery anymore than normal.

It is great for areas with bad reception as you said. It also makes SMS and MMS fast since it uses the WiFi. The only issue is yes if you're on a call and walk out of wifi it kills the call.. This is because when you're on wifi calling it shuts off the cell radio since it doesn't use it (this helps with battery).

I mainly use it at my house since I get weaker signal inside. I do not use it while out and about.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey