Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By neonworm
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Best Video Chat App

Hello guys,

Just trying to get other opinions. I'm about to leave on a trip to the other side of the Planet and because of Time Zones, the only time I'll be able to call my friends and family is when either me or them are on the move. So, which video chat service would be better in terms of quality VS data consumption. I've been trying to find data especially on Hangouts but to no avail... The three apps I'm considering right now are Skype (duh!), Tango (never heard of it before, but a friend suggested it), and Hangouts.

I'm looking for something in the lines of "This app uses X ammount of data for Y ammount of video call time". What do you guys think?

Default Re: Best Video Chat App

I use Google Hangouts for video calls. It is reliable, and you can chat with multiple people.
    SpookDroid likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks but what about mobile data? I mean I've used it and I like it but if I'll be using it on the go and abroad I want the least data hungry option...

This article Why Does Video Chat Still Suck? gives some comparative app data use info. From what it says, it looks like Google+ Hangouts is the biggest data hog. I've only used it over wifi so wasn't paying attention to how much data it uses.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Wow, 15 Megs a minute! Hahaha I, too, have only used those over WiFi, so I've never noticed or thought about data consumption rates. I've also heard about Tango, but I've never used it personally... FaceTime is out of the question since, though I do have an iPad I could use, none of my family members have iPhones (I switched them all to Android a few years back hehe).

So folks what do you use? I have a s4 and need a video chat app that works for s4 and iPhone..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
    Bill

Anyone???? My wife is deaf and we really need one I can count on.....

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by emscapt47 View Post
    Anyone???? My wife is deaf and we really need one I can count on.....

I don't know what will work on both systems; why not try the Apple app store to see if they have iPhone versions of ones available for Android, install the Android version on the S4, then test for compatibility?
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (Verizon - SCH-I545) - Android 4.3
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Hangouts is cross-platform, as well as Skype. Personally, I've had better results with Hangouts in terms of connectivity but it seems to gobble up more data than Skype. Skype, on the other hand, is more popular and will let you place audio-only calls (which in your particular case might not be that useful anyway). Tango has many of my friends quite happy in terms of data consumption, but I'm not sure if it's available for iOS.

Bump........

Bill

My family and I use hangouts. Its pretty awesome.

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4

I use hangouts. I find it to usually be higher in quality and have had less problems with it overall compared to Skype. Might be worth the extra data that it uses.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Try tinychat.

Galaxy S4

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

I use Skype, sometimes Hangout freezes too much, it might be my friend's network that's the problem though.