market share info for phones

tarnak

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I was reading an story about the Microsoft and Nokia deal and came across some info I thought I would share:

"Had [Elop] actually turned the business around, then that would be a different story," Hudson Square Research tech analyst Daniel Ernst told "Squawk Box" on CNBC. "The story that Nokia will tell you is that, year-over-year, their smartphones are up 78 percent. But that's only to just over seven million handsets."

By comparison, Samsung sold about 70 million handsets in the second quarter alone, followed by Apple's 32 million, according to information technology research and advisory firm Gartner.

Nokia, which had a 40 percent share of the handset market in 2007, now has a mere 15 percent share, with an even smaller percentage in smartphones. The company is worth about 15 billion euros, a far cry from its glory days, when it peaked at over 200 billion euros.

Elop hasn?t endeared himself to the people of Finland, either. The Canadian has been cutting costs at Nokia since he came on board, including laying off tens of thousands of workers.

In 2011, Nokia teamed up with Microsoft and uses Microsoft Windows software to run its mobile phones. But the operating system has so far captured only a 3.7 percent share of the global market, putting it third behind Google's Android OS, which has a 79.3 percent share, and Apple's iOS which has a 13.2 percent share.