Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Now monitoring my phone calls?

The strangest thing happened today while using my s4. I had a 10 minute conversation on the phone with a friend about weekend plans. The plans included getting a limo and going to a specific venue. This afternoon I noticed that my Google Now app has two new cards on it, the first being limo rental offers in the area, and the second card giving reviews of the venue that was discussed during the call. Is Google Now monitoring my phone conversations? Has anyone else noticed this with their head set ?
    Thanks in advance.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Google Now monitoring my phone calls?

I haven't notice yet, but that's kinda creepy lol

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Today was the first time I noticed it. Freaked me out. I saw that Google applied for a patent last year for software that would monitor just "the background noises" during calls. But this was def not background conversation.

I'm definitely going to pay attention to see if it happens to me.

Are you certain that you didn't search for those things or related?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

1000% positive.

That's just wrong IMO. Hate stuff like that.

Posted via my Samsung Galaxy S4

So you never Google searched it or anything? I don't mean using Google now.. I mean simply on your phone or Chrome on your Pc (if you sync).

It only checks Web and email.. And sometimes apps if you allowed it access to search that app... But monitoring your phone call just seems highly unlikely without them notifying you first and asking if you wanted it to do that. Even then... I don't remember them even having anything like this in place so.. Doubt it.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Google Now monitoring my phone calls?-1378383324616.jpg  

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

I have noticed some weird cards appear on google now that I didnt expect it to recognize... for example email related information turned into events on google now and searches that I did on safari appearing google now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by dopestar View Post
    I have noticed some weird cards appear on google now that I didnt expect it to recognize... for example email related information turned into events on google now and searches that I did on safari appearing google now

Google is an ecosystem. Doesn't matter what browser you use, if it's in Google Search, they will know. If it comes in Gmail, they will know. I actually welcome it when it comes to things I'm constantly researching, like the features I'm still finding on this phone after a month.
    Samsung Galaxy S 4 NAE 4.4.2 Rooted with CF Auto-Root and HotSpot Mod
    HTC EVO Design 4G Rooted with HTC SuperTool v3 by frigid
    Thanked by:
    mhinc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dopestar View Post

You can turn off the Google Now connection to your Gmail.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

I haven't seen it do this at all

This gives me and idea. I'm going to today ring a friend and talk about s*x toys and stuff from an adult shop. Let's see what search results Google now will show on my phone after the phone call.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Google Now is definitely watching. I doubt listening though. My concern is less with it's watching than with what it might do with the info. I liked getting traffic reports along my normal route home shortly before leaving work. But who else can now find out my schedule? I turned it off.

Sent from the tiny keyboard on my S4

Quote Originally Posted by starbuckk View Post
    Google Now is definitely watching. I doubt listening though. My concern is less with it's watching than with what it might do with the info. I liked getting traffic reports along my normal route home shortly before leaving work. But who else can now find out my schedule? I turned it off.

No one can unless they hacked that information... Trust me.. There is no reason to be that paranoid. If someone wants to find information about you and they have the know how.. A simply setting of sharing your information won't make any difference lol.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    Thanked by:
    tjg312 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by starbuckk View Post

That's going a bit too far with the bit where you say someone else might be able to see your route home and stuff.... Google isn't that messed in the head to let anyone else see where you're heading.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticmeg View Post
    That's going a bit too far with the bit where you say someone else might be able to see your route home and stuff.... Google isn't that messed in the head to let anyone else see where you're heading.

Yeah, if anything it wouldn't be that someone could track you, it would be Google sending you targeted ads by businesses/fast food places on your route. Google's doing all this to make a buck.

Quote Originally Posted by STSVA View Post
    Yeah, if anything it wouldn't be that someone could track you, it would be Google sending you targeted ads by businesses/fast food places on your route. Google's doing all this to make a buck.
    We android users who let Google send us as etc should get share of the revenue too!!

Global Posts
    5,723 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

You're already getting all of the services at no monetary cost along with the best software system available, completely free of charge.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    You're already getting all of the services at no monetary cost along with the best software system available, completely free of charge.

XT1060. Through spacetime.
    Thinking about it. That's true. I wouldn't use a better system other than Google itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Darnell0216 View Post
    Google is an ecosystem. Doesn't matter what browser you use, if it's in Google Search, they will know. If it comes in Gmail, they will know. I actually welcome it when it comes to things I'm constantly researching, like the features I'm still finding on this phone after a month.
    I agree, I like it a lot!

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

I just had a phone conversation with my brother yesterday about needing steel plates for a small project he is helping me with. I have not searched for steel before. A few minutes after our conversation I opened the Amazon app and what do you know, my recommended items were for steel. This seems a little over the top IMO.

I would not put anything at all past Google, although two incidents in 3 months could both be bizarre coincidences. It's a little hard to imagine recording every one of millions of phone calls, using speech-to-text to transcribe them into a searchable database, then analyzing the transcriptions and sending you ads based on that. And yet....

WRT Google applying for a patent for software to monitor background noises during calls, see this: . At the time, Google said that not all patents signal a future product or service. But you can't patent a vague idea, and they'd have to have put something definite on paper about how this would work and what it would be for.

BTW, be sure to look at the Onion fake-news video on that page.

Ever since I got my Android (using Good Email client) I've gotten 2 SPAM emails a day. Until recently the adds have been very off base - like the standard "get your car cleaned" or "enhance xyz". But just recently those SPAM emails have targeted me for specific topics completely related to subjects that I had recently (within 72 hours) searched or disucssed (not on phone call). Note - I never respond or click to the emails, I just delete them.

1.) I searched for a computing technology that was very specific (say Terminal Server) and I received an add for a type of terminal server the following day or so.
    2.) I talked with a friend about schizophrenia and 3 days later I got a SPAM email about schizophrenia. (I never searched this topic or anything relative to health or disease)
    3.) I talked with a friend who went to a resort and 3 days later I got a SPAM email about that specific resort. (I never searched this resort or any other resort in the last 12 months)

Pretty disconcerting, to say the least. Is the email address that gets these spams Gmail?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast