| || |
Phone got wet!
So I'll try to make this short but include all the details...
Last Saturday night my phone (galaxy s4) was in my pocket and I entered the ocean, it was under for probably 10 seconds until I realized. I have a case and screen protector on it. About 3 minutes later I was home and took out the battery, dried it, and put both the phone and battery into a bowl of rice for the night.
The next morning I tried putting the battery back in (yes I realize now that this was probably too soon), and nothing happened. I tried plugging it in as well and nothing. Back in the rice it went for about another 24 hours. I tried turning it on again and nothing, although now a small light was showing red in the top left corner. The rest of the day Monday and all day Tuesday the battery and phone were separate.
Tuesday night I was going through the process of getting a new phone shipped since I have insurance that covers water damage. The deductable was $99 and I was all set to submit payment when I decided to check my phone 1 more time. I put the battery in and tried turning it on and it vibrated a couple times and that was it. The little light in the top left was now flickering blue. I plugged it in and took the battery in and out a few times until it then vibrated 12 times in a row a few seconds apart, and then magically turned on.
The screen was flickering only a tiny bit, and the top info bar was messing up and a message about the time zone kept popping up. The touch aspect was a bit messed up as well, not always registering. So off and battery out it went for the night and in the morning I tried it again in the morning, and this time it seemed to be working fine, but it wouldn't charge. Later in the day I was able to get it to start charging, but the touchscreen would not work, and that is how it has stayed.
So now, the phone turns on no problem, the screen is fully on with no problems, but I am unable to use the phone since the screen won't recognize my touch. So it seems like if I'm able to fix that part of it then the phone should be just fine. The only plan I can think of is to open it up, and clean the connection for the screen with a soft toothbrush and alcohol, and then let it dry fully and try again.
Does anyone have any tips for this? I can't find anything online about someone with the same problem. I also don't think I could take it to a store and say the touchscreen stopped working because they would most likely be able to open it up and see that it had gotten wet. I appreciate any opinions and help.