Copying *.PNG files to the Galaxy S4

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
While there is NO issue when copying PNG files to my GS4 (either the internal storage, or the SD Expansion Card) ... I always get a warning in Windows (on Vista and/or Win7) that tells me something about "copying these files is ok, but they may not work on your device" ...

Anyone else get this error? If so, how do I shut this down?

I mean, when you take a screenshot using your phone, it stores the file as a PNG file ... ie: it's a native file type to the phone ... so what's the deal here? It's just annoying to constantly have to click "ignore this warning for all files" each time you copy a file over ...

Thanks in advance ...

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Never had that issue but it sounds like it's a Windows issue. How do you transfer your pictures? Connected as a Media Device or as a Camera? Through Kies? Wired? Wireless?

I usually do it over BlueTooth or via Kies Air.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I just plug my phone into my pc and it shows up in My Computer as a "Portable Device" described as "portable media player". Not sure how to adjust that to be a "device with removable storage", but I'm guessing that might solve the issue?

fyi: I don't have any special software running to "sync" the phone ... I do it all manually ... drag/drop, copy/paste, etc... I'm not too keen on the whole "sync" thing ... the way I do it, I am in total control over what my phone is doing in terms of when things are copied, transferred or backed-up between my phone and pc ...

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
well, i did find out that while connected to the PC, i can pull down my notificaion panel and "toggle" between settings that tell my PC that my phone is either a portable media device, or a camera ... but no option to just be a USB mass storage device. And, on either setting, i STILL get the warning message when copying PNG files and/or other files that windows thinks should not be copied to the device.

gotta admit ... it's baffling to think that you cant have the phone identify itself as a "usb mass storage" device ... makes NO sense to me ...

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
gotta admit ... it's baffling to think that you cant have the phone identify itself as a "usb mass storage" device ... makes NO sense to me ...

Different manufactures use different device drivers to do the same basic thing. Motorola for the most part attaches your device as a USB Mass Storage device and copies files at a much faster rate then Samsung does... and I believe HTC does the same thing as Motorola. It all in how THEY handle it, and nothing to do with how your PC is working.

In the case of your png files. I have to believe it's something you have setup on your PC that is causing you to see that message. I have never seen any message like that on any of my PC's... ever!!!

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Different manufactures use different device drivers to do the same basic thing. Motorola for the most part attaches your device as a USB Mass Storage device and copies files at a much faster rate then Samsung does... and I believe HTC does the same thing as Motorola. It all in how THEY handle it, and nothing to do with how your PC is working.

In the case of your png files. I have to believe it's something you have setup on your PC that is causing you to see that message. I have never seen any message like that on any of my PC's... ever!!!

Can't say it's something "screwy" with my PC's ... on both my home pc (older laptop with Win Vista) and on my work PC (relatively new workstation with Win7) the same thing happens ... and I don't have any odd programs or settings on either. I did some searching on the web and it appears this is a Samsung issue with how they have the phone setup to identify itself to a PC. When you plug it in, it notifies you with the following message: "Connected as a media device". If you tap that message in the notification panel, it takes you to a USB Settings dialog where you can choose to have your phone connect as either a "Media Device" (MTP) or a Camera (PTP). However, as said before, there is no option to connect as "USB Mass Storage".

And if I understood what I read about this issue, both the MTP and PTP settings make the computer think that the device is only capable of "using" certain file types ... and thus warns you that you may be copying a file type to the device that it's incapable of using/viewing/processing.

I also found, that if you root your phone, there are a couple of apps that will allow your phone to emulate "USB Mass Storage" when connected to a PC ... so that you can avoid these messages and get faster file transfers.

Again ... I am not a true techie, and can only assume there's a reason for Samsung's decision to make the phone only connect in either MTP or PTP mode ... but seeing as how the phone can handle most any file, it seems odd to me that it's setup this way.

I may email Samsung to see if they will respond on this issue. I won't hold my breath though.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I use/create/copy image files on a daily basis, both at work and at home... I'm by no means an expert, but I do create my own wallpaper for my android as well as sharing here on AC. Most of the time I create jpg files, but occasionally find that png file format works better. Maybe I did something to not see those types of warnings, if they are actually that... but I don't ever remember seeing that type of error or warning. Both my home laptop and work PC have Win 7 on them and both were built and setup in the last year or two.

Sorry I could not help... but again, I have never seen that type of warning.

Darnell0216

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
The MTP/PTP thing is a Google choice, not a Samsung one. All newer versions of the Android OS have this change and it has been met with distaste by most as the protocol is still not widely used. And yes, the only way to get UMS back is by rooting and finding an app to mod your phone accordingly.

Just for the hell of it, I tried to move a .png from my Win7 to the phone and got the same warning. I cannot guess as to why Win7 produces this, but since I move most of my files via DropBox, this will probably be the first and last time I see it, lol.