Google maps Voice Navigation does not work with Bluetooth enabled

senorcat

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Spent hours trying to find a fix. I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy S4 and have a 2012 Toyota Sienna Van. If I enable bluetooth to use phone handsfree in car the voice navigation feature of google maps does not work. If I disable bluetooth then voice navigation works. Anyone else experiencing this problem or have a fix for it.

aakjaer

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I have the exact same problem with my HTC One paired via Bluetooth with a Parrot MKI9200. No problems with music or telephone calls but voice navigation doesn't come through. :(

senorcat

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I have the exact same problem with my HTC One paired via Bluetooth with a Parrot MKI9200. No problems with music or telephone calls but voice navigation doesn't come through. :(

This solution worked for me. It was supplied by a member called "beesee". In my Toyota when I went to settings - bluetooth I found MULTIMEDIA as a Paired Device. Its obviously named different in each car. Following is the solution from user "beesee" that worked for me.

"By trial and error I finally fixed the problem. I went to my phone's Settings > Bluetooth and found SYNC as a Paired Device. I tapped on the gear icon to the right of the word SYNC and noticed both the Call audio and Media audio Profiles were checked.

I unchecked Media audio and now I can still make calls and play my iPod through voice commands using Sync Bluetooth AND I can also hear Navigation voice directions through my phone speakers.

With this method I cannot stream audio from my phone to my car's speakers but I never did that anyway.

aakjaer

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Thansk senorcat - it worked as a workaround for me as well. The voice navigation now comes out of my phone speakers. The funny thing is that when I'm in a call the voice navigation now comes out of the car speakers :) Weird!

woodslink

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Also, if you would like to try and stream navigation audio to Bluetooth phone profile, try SoundAbout in Google Play. It has settings to route Text-To-Speech audio to various outputs. With Bluetooth mono (phone), you will need to put a 1.5-2 second delay in the app. If using Google Navigation, you will need to set the "max utterances per request" setting to 1 or 2. This is due to Google navigation request ALL the directions at the beginning of the trip.

More information:
Navigation (Text To Speech) audio to various outputs (Bluetooth mono in car)

Double voice when using Google Navigation:
Get rid of double voice when using Google Navigation and SoundAbout TTS

senorcat

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Thansk senorcat - it worked as a workaround for me as well. The voice navigation now comes out of my phone speakers. The funny thing is that when I'm in a call the voice navigation now comes out of the car speakers :) Weird!
Exactly the same thing with me. However, I'm just glad we have a workaround. I haven't tried soundabout as mentioned by woodslink.

IanGThompson

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I have an HTC ONE M8 and i went into blue tooth settings and switched off media output. I can now get voice navigation when my bluetooth is switched on. Thanks to the previous comment which was very helpful.

xristosalonika

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I did that also but now radio music is not resumed after directions are announced.My BT set seems to be in an endless call just waiting to announce next direction, during that time no music whatsoever. Any thoughts?

Denny H

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I am pulling my hair out searching the internet and trying different things. My Galaxy S4 will not give me navigation voice commands when using Google Maps (or any navigation program) when paired with my Ford bluetooth system. If I turn "Bluetooth Off" on my phone, then the navigation voice comes through the phone, but then I can't use my hands free bluetooth for calls. I have tried every conceivable option including using an audio cord and still nothing. My wife has the exact same issue with her Galaxy S4 and the bluetooth on her Hyundai Sonata. The navigation works fine, you just get no sound. Someone please help!!!

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I am exploring the same issue with my Note 3 and my wife's Toyota Camry.

Did you ever figure out a solution? Soundabout looks like it might offer a solution - did you try that?

I'm currently out of town, and away from that car, but will likely try it when I get back.

Thanks.

Don

Javier Salmeron

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks all for the help. It gave me ideas to solve the problem in my Hyndai Elantra in a slightly different way.

You don't need to uncheck the Media Audio option under the phone's Bluetooth settings. Do that only if you want to hear the navigator through the phone's speaker (maybe because you still want to hear the CD playing through the car). But, if you want to listen the navigation through the car's speakers, this is how to do it in the Elantra:

As I said, leave both the Phone and Media audio checked. On the car's media panel, push the "Media" button (which allows to select CD player, Radio, USB, etc.) and choose the "RT" option (I had never done that before). A message on the car's display asks you to play your phone music, but it actually will play the phone navigator's voice too.

Jazzy2011

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
I have a 2015 Toyota Corolla and a Samsung Galaxy s5 phone. I cannot get Google Maps to work through the Bluetooth in my car. Have read some of the comments on this forum and am now even more confused any help would be greatly appreciated

jeffr001

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I have a 2013 Toyota Rav 4 and Samsung Galaxy S4

Soundabout for Android AUD $3.70 for the pro version does work for me and allows me to list to voice directions.

Instructions (reproduced from another forum - sorry I cant paste the link)

Navigation (Text To Speech) audio to various outputs (Bluetooth mono in car)

Post by SoundAbout on Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:57 pm
1 - Open SoundAbout app
2 - Set "Media audio" to "Let app decide"
3 - Click on "Text-To-Speech behavior..."
3.1 - Set "Audio output..." to what you want. (example: Bluetooth (mono)) I used "Let app decide"
3.2 - Google Navigation will request ALL of the directions at the beginning of the trip. This won't work as we need to switch the audio dynamically when the direction is needed. To help this, I set "Max utterance per request ..." to 1 or 2.
3.3 - If using Bluetooth mono, you may need to set "Delay utterance (secs)" to 1.5 or 2. This will allow time for the audio to switch to Bluetooth mono, which is slow to switch over. If you don't, you may miss some of the directions.
3.4 - Click on the "Android TTS settings..." You will see some TTS engine choices. Choose "SoundAbout TTS".

4 - Click on "Listen to example" to see if audio comes out of the desired output.

Note: many features are only available in the Pro version. The trial version will give you a few days to test the software.

HENRY1RPH

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
I have been having this same problem with my SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 phone! It would not funvtion properly or talk...or give directions! My first time here on this site!! Thanks for the advice. I'm getting ready to go try it in my 2014 SILVERADO Truck now. I even unpaired the phone from the truck as Chevy(GM) has Onstar(still in my trial period) and was not sure what was screwing with what!

Lis1997

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
I found this solution and it worked for me to have media come through the car speakers, now I have pandora, calls and google maps navigation. I did not buy the Soundabout software so I am not sure if that would have helped.

Open on the Android smartphone the Google Maps app and then the settings by tapping at the top right on the symbol with the three bars and then on "Settings". Continue to "Navigation Settings.
In this sub-menu of the Google Maps app you can now see the "Play voice over Bluetooth" option. Check if the checkbox is ticked. If not, then set the tick now. Then the voice of Google Maps should work on your car and the Bluetooth hands-free.

JMGregory

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Google maps voice navigation does not work with Bluetooth enabled on Samsung S6. Phone connects to Jabra hands-free speaker and phone calls come through speaker but Google navigation does not. Toggling media audio off/on in Bluetooth settings temporarily solves the problem, but when phone is rebooted the problem returns. Does anyone know a lasting solution?

DC15

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
This is driving me nuts. My old iPhone would interrupt whichever media was playing and you'd hear the Google maps navigation instruction over the car's speakers. Side note, the car stereo would display my phone number when that happened, presumably because it mimicked a phone call. Once the navigation instruction was complete the media playback would resume. Now, with my Moto X Pure Edition, it doesn't work at all unless the active media source is Bluetooth audio. Otherwise, no navigation instructions are heard at all. Sure, I can have the Google maps audio play via the phone speakers, but that's basically missing the point of having the phone connected via Bluetooth. Why is something so simple so difficult on Android?!

Posted via the Android Central App

Zan76

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
I concur that DC15. I was using iPhone 4s till about 2 weeks ago. No issues with the voice navigation prompts coming through car stereo (even when listening to radio). Now i got myself a note 5 and am in a pickle; either listen to radio or have navigation via bluetoth, can't do both.

Seems like Google is playing with us android users.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair