On my Samsung Galaxy S4, why aren't my back buttons and options button working(no lights)?

Kim Symons

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S4 back button and options button not working(no lights)

Hi.

I recently upgraded with my service provider and got an S4. However after 4 days the back button and options button no longer works, and the lights do not show, i disabled and enabled haptic feedback, turned off power saving mode and rebooted my phone via the power button and via a hard reboot.

I did not do a factory reset because if the device fails within 7 days of purchase, which it has it, it must be returned to the store where i purchased it.

Any idea as to what to do, before i send the phone back?

Edible Walrus

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 back button and options button not working(no lights)

I vote send it back if there's an issue of this size so quickly

Posted via Android Central App

CM C

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site

Problem SOLVED !!

Go to settings > my device > display > touch key light duration, set to 1.5 seconds.

FIXED !!! :)

sjcecran

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

Having the same issue. Pretty sure it's a defect. Bring it to Verizon store today to confirm.

Bijal Patel1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

I have same problem, and changing touch key light duration to 1.5 seconds did not work! However, I found a workaround.

Go to Settings > My Device > Accessibility
Scroll down to Mobility
Turn Assistant Menu to On.

This will display a small white square. You can tap on it from any app or any screen and it will show you the menu option along with other options. Hope this helps.

marduj5

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site

This hapenned to me when I replaced amoled screen with new one.Home button worked but menu and backed were dead.I don't know is that good solution but I put small part doublesided tape between home ,menu back flat cable and board where it is connected to isolate them and now everything works.But on youtube video I can't see that is anything beetween.

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

I had this on my S4 today. My phone is not in a case, does not have a screen cover. I fixed it by:
  • taking the back off (not sure if that's necessary, but it might have let it dry out, not that it had got wet but you never know, sweaty palms etc)
  • Shutting it down (not restarting, actually shut it down, hold down the power button, wait for the menu to pop up and pick shutdown, wait for the short vibrate that tells you it is fully shut down)
  • Start (hold the power button down for a few seconds)

Buttons came up just fine after that and worked.

Rasikam

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site

I recently updated my galaxy s4 i9505 from kirk at to lollipop. After installed my back key and optional key is not working. Even light is not working. I had reboot my device. But it doesn't work. Can I go to my previous version and after that is it working. Please help me.thank you.

Last edited:

Daibhi

Dec 29, 2016
Visit site
This fix worked for me and I was preparing to lay down about $300 for a new S5 with an extended warranty.

First, keep the phone powered on and remove back. Then remove the battery. Hold down the power button for at least a full minute then release. Reinsert the battery and put on back and power up. The buttons should be visible. You can change the duration of their being on your screen by going to Settings / Display / Touch key light and set for anywhere from always on to 6 seconds.

Rohaniff Rosle

Jul 5, 2018
Visit site
I had debug the Galaxy S4 i9500 device with that problem.. The problem occurs because of:-
1. Check your charging port flex cable, it may have been defective.. Replace New One..
2. Dont use GT-i9505 Charging Flex Cable on GT-i9500 device..

Hope it will help you solved your problem faced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz