Samsung Galaxy S4 keeps restarting!!

Leiliy

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Galaxy S4 about two months ago. It was working fine until last week, when it started restarting automatically.
It happened for the first time when my little sister was playing candy crush with it. It just restarted and kept restarting over and over again. Finally, I could use my phone. It happened once more when I set a live wallpaper. So I thought maybe the problem is with graphics, animation or something. But then again, it happened when I was just scrolling the pages. My phone just kept restarting, the Samsung logo showed up and then it restarted again. Another odd thing is that when it turns on after restarting, the batter percentage is reduced to 0%, although it was 80% before getting shut down.
So I decided to reset my phone to factory settings. But it didn't help as well! It's much better now, but the problem is not solved.

Do you know why this is happening? Have you experienced the same problem?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Galaxy S4 about two months ago. It was working fine until last week, when it started restarting automatically.
It happened for the first time when my little sister was playing candy crush with it. It just restarted and kept restarting over and over again. Finally, I could use my phone. It happened once more when I set a live wallpaper. So I thought maybe the problem is with graphics, animation or something. But then again, it happened when I was just scrolling the pages. My phone just kept restarting, the Samsung logo showed up and then it restarted again. Another odd thing is that when it turns on after restarting, the batter percentage is reduced to 0%, although it was 80% before getting shut down.
So I decided to reset my phone to factory settings. But it didn't help as well! It's much better now, but the problem is not solved.

Oh, that's not good.

Have you tried monitoring your phone's internal temps?

There are many apps available for free that can monitor your device's internal temp.

I recommend Battery HD.

Leiliy

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Oh, that's not good.

Have you tried monitoring your phone's internal temps?

There are many apps available for free that can monitor your device's internal temp.

I recommend Battery HD.

Thanks for your suggestion. I just installed it on my phone.
The temperature is 34.2 C (I'm not sure if it's good or not) and the battery health is Good.
Is there a better health status for battery? Like very good,...?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your suggestion. I just installed it on my phone.
The temperature is 34.2 C (I'm not sure if it's good or not) and the battery health is Good.
Is there a better health status for battery? Like very good,...?

That's perfectly normal.

Your issue could either live in the software or even worse, the SoC.

SoC = System-on-a-chip, a chipset that houses the CPU, GPU and other vital components.

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I had this exact issue.
Took out the battery and SIM card for 10 minutes. Reinserted both. So far no reboots after 9 hours -0- but thne posting this may have put the jinx on that:cool:

SwannMR

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have a similar problem which started when a friend asked to look at a micro sim card and I powered off my S4 to show him. Since then if my battery life reaches 80% the phone restarts and goes into a loop. When putting power to the phone, initially the battery life appears to be 0% but after a second or two it goes back to 80%.

I have tried taking the battery out and putting it back in again but that has solved anything. Also tried clearing the cache but that has not worked. The final step is to create a backup and factory reset the phone. If this does not work it looks like I will have to buy a new battery.

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
That?s not fun. My first impulse was a software bug. But a backup and reset should have fixed it if it was a software issue. When you did the reset you tried the phone as a clean installation right? NO THIRD PARTY APPS RIGHT? Apps can cause weird things like this sometimes.

Battery Health Good is where you want it. When it says Battery Health Unknown you might start having a problem.

I was going to suggest a battery pull while the phone is powered on but it looks like you might have tried that as well. Make sure you pull the battery while it?s on and not while it?s off.

Check out this article on how to fix an Android phone that?s powering itself off and on as well, it might help.

If you cannot get it to stop powering off and on then look into your replacement options like filing a warranty claim. No one wants a phone that?s not working properly.

~ Moneypenny~

Naseema Ayob

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi

I am having the exact same problem. Did you find a solution? Mine restarts at around 54% and when it goes restarts it goes straight to 0% and switches off.

Really hope you can help me.

Naseema

Bougie Tataru

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
It happened with me yesterday as well.

Tried the battery and sim card but went back doing restarts over and over again.

What worked for me was taking out the SD card.

Can someone else try and let me know if it worked for them too.

casshole

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
It happened with me yesterday as well.

Tried the battery and sim card but went back doing restarts over and over again.

What worked for me was taking out the SD card.

Can someone else try and let me know if it worked for them too.

I tried this too and it seemed to work.

After it worked for about 10 minutes without any issues I tried re-inserting the SD card and within a minute it started rebooting, so for now I'm just leaving the SD card out to see if it continues to work.

MisterBlister

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
My phone is doing this and removing the sd card has had no noticeable effect. The only thing that seems to make a difference is that it has never done it while it is plugged in and charging.

Specific symptoms are that it will tend to reset when it is asked to perform more demanding tasks and over the course of a week this has diminished to something like taking a photo being too much for it. Once it power cycles now it won't boot and will just switch off. Removing the battery won't help, either waiting about 10 minutes or plugging it in to charge will allow it to boot again.
The battery health is shown as 'good' and it will do this even directly after a factory reset where no apps have been reinstalled. The battery percentage also jumps around after a reset.

shiggz

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I have this exact same problem! Same issues, none of the fixes work :/
I don't think the sim card or micro sd are the problem..
Probably some fault with the battery and the sensor that shows the charge? because how can it go from 50% to 0%..

Last edited:

MisterBlister

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
So I was looking at the serial number of the phone under the battery for an email to Samsung and realised that the battery is starting to bulge a bit. A quick search for battery bulge came up with this link to a thread with similar symptoms.

I have contacted Samsung with the description and will keep you all posted. I figure a warranty replacement battery is going to fix it for me then... Even though the battery health is listed as good.

dianafowler

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi!

I am facing the same problem since the last couple of days. I have tried everything mentioned in this thread and the device is still restarting! My phone is about 3 months old. I have removed the SD card as well. Has anyone been able to fix this issue or figure out what the hell is going wrong?

May 14, 2013
Visit site

Hi,

My wife's S4 started doing this and I found that when Google Play Books tried to update itself, that's when the restarting would kick in. I turned off the auto update and have not had any restart issues. I manually updated Google Play Books and the download was fine but when it started to install... BOOM... restart. So, I am manually updating her apps and skipping that one. I also have an S4 and have had no issues with updating Google Play Books so I am thinking she has something on there that doesn't play well with that app.

Both are VW, running 4.2.2 (I545VRUAME7) and factory reset done after OS update.

Hope this helps

Scott

Marvin Nicholson

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Mine started this restarting business today, this only happened when I connected to a clients wifi, (old 3Com access point). As soon as my device restarted I disconnect from the wireless and all is well again.

Hope this helps if troubleshooting

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred