Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Question Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    My Galaxy Tab 3 7" connects with no problem after having input the password, by my S4 connects -- not really -- and says the following:

    Saved, Secured

    But isn't connected to my WiFi. Can anyone tell me why it's doing that?
    Michael
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    I have the same problem. The only way I could get the Galaxy S4 to connect and stay connected was to set the router encryption to TKIP instead of AES.

    This is a known issue with some routers, and Samsung blames the companies making the router, while the companies making the routers blame Samsung. I've no idea who is at fault, but I can confirm that changing the encryption to TKIP fixed the problem on my ASUS RT-N66U router.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    I currently have a Linksys E1200 router, when my new modem's provisioning goes through -- should've been today -- then I will be uninstalling the Windows software for router, and disconnecting the router and replacing it with the Linksys E4200V2.

    My current router [E1200] doesn't have TKIP or AES, and I highly doubt that the E4200V2 does as well.
    Michael
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    If you haven't tried this yet, change channel method on the Wi-Fi signal. If you use auto channel setup, switch to manual and bounce through them to see if any one connects. I had to switch from auto to channel 6 because of my wife's MacBook doing the same thing. Thankfully everything else in the house was able to connect on this channel as well.
    Samsung Galaxy S 4 NAE 4.4.2 Rooted with CF Auto-Root and HotSpot Mod
    HTC EVO Design 4G Rooted with HTC SuperTool v3 by frigid
  5. #5  
    mhinc's Avatar

    Posts
    692 Posts
    Global Posts
    954 Global Posts

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Have you simply FORGOT the Wifi Connection and retried ?
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Quote Originally Posted by Darnell0216 View Post
    If you haven't tried this yet, change channel method on the Wi-Fi signal. If you use auto channel setup, switch to manual and bounce through them to see if any one connects. I had to switch from auto to channel 6 because of my wife's MacBook doing the same thing. Thankfully everything else in the house was able to connect on this channel as well.
    This router does not have the option to do that.

    Quote Originally Posted by mhinc View Post
    Have you simply FORGOT the Wifi Connection and retried ?
    Of course I've already tried that, did that well before deciding to post on here!
    Michael
    lharvill likes this.
  7. #7  
    mhinc's Avatar

    Posts
    692 Posts
    Global Posts
    954 Global Posts

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Quote Originally Posted by mlauzon View Post
    Of course I've already tried that, did that well before deciding to post on here!
    No need to get snippy. You say "Of course" like you actually made a point to inform us of that.

    You made a point to say your Wifi said "Saved, Secured". Sometimes the most SIMPLE things are the resolution.
    This is a forum. No one knows you, or your level of expertise, or what you have done unless you post it.
    So next time you want help, try giving more info and being less vague, and not being so rude to those trying to assist you.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
  8. #8  
    mahler9's Avatar

    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    I have the same problem periodically. The wifi will connect on the SG4 then all of a sudden the phone will tell me I have no internet. I try to reconnect, but it just does nothing, even though it says 'saved and secure'. I have tried diabling my wifi adapter in the PC, re-enabling it, sometimes that works. Or sometimes I reset the DSL router and that works (I have an app on the PC that lets me share wifi from ethernet). But far too often when this happens, nothing will help. The phone (and other devices) will not connect to wifi, so I have to restart the PC, or even do a system restore (!) to get it all working again. Very frustrating. For some reason, I think, the PC wifi gets changed in some way so the devices see it, but cannot connect. Any further suggestions are appreciated
  9. #9  
    mhinc's Avatar

    Posts
    692 Posts
    Global Posts
    954 Global Posts

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Quote Originally Posted by mahler9 View Post
    I have the same problem periodically. The wifi will connect on the SG4 then all of a sudden the phone will tell me I have no internet. I try to reconnect, but it just does nothing, even though it says 'saved and secure'. I have tried diabling my wifi adapter in the PC, re-enabling it, sometimes that works. Or sometimes I reset the DSL router and that works (I have an app on the PC that lets me share wifi from ethernet). But far too often when this happens, nothing will help. The phone (and other devices) will not connect to wifi, so I have to restart the PC, or even do a system restore (!) to get it all working again. Very frustrating. For some reason, I think, the PC wifi gets changed in some way so the devices see it, but cannot connect. Any further suggestions are appreciated
    Have you tried a different router? I mean if you were at someone elses house and on their wifi same issue? If so, router firmware?
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Well, my new modems provisioning finally went through recently, so I connected it and the Linksys E4200V2 router, and I can connect my phone to it, unlike in my OP when trying to connect to WiFi with the E1200.

    Not sure about my tablet yet, will eventually try it.
    Michael
  11. #11  
    mhinc's Avatar

    Posts
    692 Posts
    Global Posts
    954 Global Posts

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Quote Originally Posted by mlauzon View Post
    Well, my new modems provisioning finally went through recently, so I connected it and the Linksys E4200V2 router, and I can connect my phone to it, unlike in my OP when trying to connect to WiFi with the E1200.

    Not sure about my tablet yet, will eventually try it.
    I just noticed something above. Who installs the CD that comes with the router? Worst thing possible in my experience. You seem to have your wits about you, I figured you would have done it manually.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Do you see anywhere where I said I used the CD, there's an option once you have the router connected to download the software -- which would be newer than the CD -- directly from the router's support page..?!
    Michael
  13. #13  
    mhinc's Avatar

    Posts
    692 Posts
    Global Posts
    954 Global Posts

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Quote Originally Posted by mlauzon View Post
    Do you see anywhere where I said I used the CD, there's an option once you have the router connected to download the software -- which would be newer than the CD -- directly from the router's support page..?!
    Listen again you are getting snippy and lippy! CD/SOFTWARE same thing! I don't care if it's the newest version! The last thing I would EVER do is install the router software, I have the brains to do it manually and not clog my PC with garbage. Firmware, yes, that's a different story.
    I am really getting sick of your mouth, I am now positive you are some 16 year old little **** living in your parents basement. Watch your mouth it's getting old!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    The new Linksys routers do NOT let you on the 'Net to surf the Web -- among other stuff -- until you install the software! And I'll damn well get snippy if I want, child!
    Last edited by mlauzon; 09-12-2013 at 09:53 AM.
    Michael
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Quote Originally Posted by mlauzon View Post
    The new Linksys routers do NOT let you on the 'Net until you install the software! And I'll damn well get snippy if I want, child!
    No reason to be rude and snippy to people attempting to help. Same goes for him.

    Not everyone is brand specific experts. I know how routers work and even went to school for networking but... I wouldn't know a Linksys router wouldn't let you on till you install the software. Why? Simple.. I don't own a Linksys and probably never will... So details like that all might not know.

    I could see why he was asking if you installed the software (cd or not.. No reason to be that picky like he lives with you...) because most don't and honestly you shouldn't have to. I think it's crappy you have to install software from them to have it work.

    Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    I will eventually be buying the following router:

    RouterBoard RB2011UAS-2HnD-IN

    IMHO, is one of the best routers on the planet.
    Michael
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Well, my Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 did the Saved, Secured thing a few times, finally got it to connect to the new E4200V2 router.
    Michael
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Basically the issue was an old router. No surprise there.

    Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    No, it wasn't, because it happened at other places with far better & newer routers than this one. See what he said:

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hildenbrand View Post
    This is a known issue with some routers, and Samsung blames the companies making the router, while the companies making the routers blame Samsung.
    Michael
  20. #20  
    mhinc's Avatar

    Posts
    692 Posts
    Global Posts
    954 Global Posts

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Quote Originally Posted by mlauzon View Post
    The new Linksys routers do NOT let you on the 'Net to surf the Web -- among other stuff -- until you install the software! And I'll damn well get snippy if I want, child!
    Yes, actually they do. You do not need the software. I have set up many a Linksys, even after Cisco started making them really crappy, and the software has never been needed.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
  21. #21  
    mhinc's Avatar

    Posts
    692 Posts
    Global Posts
    954 Global Posts

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Quote Originally Posted by mlauzon View Post
    No, it wasn't, because it happened at other places with far better & newer routers than this one. See what he said:
    Linsys routers are absolute GARBAGE since Cisco bought them out. I have never experienced more collisions from a router in my life. I will stick what is good Netgear is my number one choice followed close 2nd and 3rd with DLink and Asus now makes routers and they are pretty nice.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
  22. #22  
    mahler9's Avatar

    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Quote Originally Posted by mhinc View Post
    Have you tried a different router? I mean if you were at someone elses house and on their wifi same issue? If so, router firmware?
    I only have the one router and it does usually work for a while. I think maybe some router settings could be changed, but I dare not try it. Either Windows 7 or the router are changing the ip address (I think?) after a certain time. I say that because the phone will be connected to the wifi for a while, then it will say 'no internet'...I try to re-connect and it hangs at 'getting ip address'. So I assume the Virtual Router Plus I use on the PC, or the router or W7 are changing something for some reason? I admit I understand very little of this stuff, it blows my mind that it ever works at all thanks
  23. #23  
    mhinc's Avatar

    Posts
    692 Posts
    Global Posts
    954 Global Posts

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Quote Originally Posted by mahler9 View Post
    I only have the one router and it does usually work for a while. I think maybe some router settings could be changed, but I dare not try it. Either Windows 7 or the router are changing the ip address (I think?) after a certain time. I say that because the phone will be connected to the wifi for a while, then it will say 'no internet'...I try to re-connect and it hangs at 'getting ip address'. So I assume the Virtual Router Plus I use on the PC, or the router or W7 are changing something for some reason? I admit I understand very little of this stuff, it blows my mind that it ever works at all thanks
    Get rid of Virtual Router, any router software. Check their routers support page and do ANY firmware updates available. Then setup the wireless MANUALLY. Then you should have no issues
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Quote Originally Posted by mhinc View Post
    Get rid of Virtual Router, any router software. Check their routers support page and do ANY firmware updates available. Then setup the wireless MANUALLY. Then you should have no issues
    Hello mhinc, I have internet dsl broadband at home which i can only connect to my windows 8 laptop. I've downloaded virtual router app just to create a wifi hotspot on my latop. The problem is, my samsung galaxy pro and iphone 4s could not connect to wifi hotspot, it says "network error". The devices can recognize wifi and got signal strength but no internet connection. Any solution?
  25. #25  
    mahler9's Avatar

    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

    Default Re: Cannot Get My S4 To Connect To My WiFi At Home...!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ladytron630 View Post
    Hello mhinc, I have internet dsl broadband at home which i can only connect to my windows 8 laptop. I've downloaded virtual router app just to create a wifi hotspot on my latop. The problem is, my samsung galaxy pro and iphone 4s could not connect to wifi hotspot, it says "network error". The devices can recognize wifi and got signal strength but no internet connection. Any solution?
    My problem is similar. Much of the time my Android phone does connect to wifi from Virtual Router. But it never lasts very long. All of a sudden the phone is "connected" but there is no internet coming thru the wifi. All I can do is turn off Virtual routher, turn off phone wifi, then turn them both back on and it will connect again (usually) but yesterday none of this worked. I can't set up wifi with Windows method Ad Hoc, since Android will not see Ad Hoc wifi.. I've been nervous about changing router (Westell from Verizon) settings, but could that be a solution?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. M Issues. Time to factory reset?
    By pizza_pablo in forum Droid RAZR M
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-10-2013, 11:18 PM
  2. Please help me to sort out some contacts issues.
    By scrumpypaul in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-13-2013, 02:39 PM
  3. How to resume after sleep?
    By mbrown333 in forum HTC One
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-10-2013, 08:10 PM
  4. My Phone Won't Turn ON (Pls Help)
    By hell911 in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-07-2013, 08:42 PM
  5. Galaxy S4 Mini - GPS tracking problem using running App
    By purple667 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-07-2013, 02:12 PM

Posting Permissions