Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Newbie : Google Services is killing me!

I bought my first Android phone just a couple of days ago (previously iPhone) and I've been trying to get to grips with it. My battery has been draining incredibly fast, and I've just discovered why - Google Services is taking up 86% of the battery and draining it at a rate of knots.

I've done some other online searches, made sure Google Now isn't running, uninstalled the Google apps back to the factory updates rather than most recent updates, turned off location settings, turned off GPS.. and now I've reached the limits of my knowledge, and Google Services is *still* active. Can anyone help, in language an Android newbie can understand? The screenshots of the Battery usage and the graph are below:

Newbie : Google Services is killing me!-screenshot_2013-09-08-16-21-13.jpgNewbie : Google Services is killing me!-screenshot_2013-09-08-16-23-27.jpg

Default Re: Newbie : Google Services is killing me!

Welcome to Android Central! That sounds pretty frustrating. The problem with Google Services issues is that it can be hard to narrow it down further.

For now, review this guide and see if any of these tips helps: [Guide] Battery Saving Tips
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    21,629 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by amaranth75 View Post
    I bought my first Android phone just a couple of days ago (previously iPhone) and I've been trying to get to grips with it. My battery has been draining incredibly fast, and I've just discovered why - Google Services is taking up 86% of the battery and draining it at a rate of knots.

I've done some other online searches, made sure Google Now isn't running, uninstalled the Google apps back to the factory updates rather than most recent updates, turned off location settings, turned off GPS.. and now I've reached the limits of my knowledge, and Google Services is *still* active. Can anyone help, in language an Android newbie can understand? The screenshots of the Battery usage and the graph are below:
    Have you tried rebooting the device?

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

If you had to install a firmware update when you first got the device, there's possibly a software bug draining the battery. Most of us have been through it and the painful yet easy fix is a factory reset. Judging from the 6hr drain, you've got it.
    Samsung Galaxy S 4 NAE 4.4.2 Rooted with CF Auto-Root and HotSpot Mod
    HTC EVO Design 4G Rooted with HTC SuperTool v3 by frigid
    Thanked by:
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

I had the Google Service battery eating issue too when I first got my S4 5 days ago. I turned off the Location service in the setting, Google Now, and some Location settings in Google map. Most of the Google Service battery usage is due to Google trying to constantly update and check your location (from what I have experienced). Now I don't see Google Service under battery usage anymore.

Install wakelock detector. That will tell you exactly what is draining your battery.

I had this exact same problem a few weeks back, Google Services was about 50% of my battery. I just forced stopped it or disabled it, can't remember which. I don't want implication that has, but my phone has been much better.

Global Posts
    8,954 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Hi, I had this issue for a few days starting last week. I downloaded the Google play store 4.3.11 firmware APK and it solved the issue. Today I noticed it came back after I looked up an address of google maps. Does anyone know what I can do now? I don't want to factory reset because it's a pain to backup everything on my phone, any help would be appreciated.

Global Posts
    8,954 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Here's a screenshot of my battery, I have about an hour of screen on time but it shows Google is using over 2/3 of the battery.Attachment 80016

I'm seeing issues in the last 48-72 hours with Google Services. I barely used my phone this weekend but could not make it to 8pm before battery died. Usually at 40% by then. Screen is always my major drain but 60% was Google Services today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Global Posts
    8,954 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Yeah, mine started today after being gone for a few weeks

Posted via Android Central App
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Global Posts
    6,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Weird, my Google services is only at 10%.

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

Global Posts
    8,954 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Mine is up to 73% D:

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Global Posts
    6,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Mine is up to 73% D:

Almost 2 months ago my phone had Google services at around 60%.
    I turned location off for things I didn't want to know my location. After that I turned the phone off and then pulled the battery out. Waited about 20 minutes and put the battery back on and turned the phone on.
    That did the trick!

If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts

I am also having issues with Google Services. I haven't installed anything new or changed any settings.

Global Posts
    6,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Hu!
    Mine was at 10% yesterday, today is at 6%. :what::thumbup:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newbie : Google Services is killing me!-1378791048401.jpg  

Global Posts
    7,177 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Google Services, Google Now and GPS by themselves should have very little impact on battery life. Seeing it take over like that is typically one of two things: 1. as people previously said, wakelock caused by the firmware update - factory reset fixes this, or 2. another app has location permission and is trying to utilized Google's API for this, failing and continually retrying.

Google Services by itself isn't really "doing" stuff, it handles network location, managing Google Accounts, teasing information between apps that have access to it, handling sync schedules and dynamics, etc. There used to be an option (not sure if it's still there) within the app data for Google Play Services to "manually control GPS data". I'm not sure what yours is toggled to on that.

Its more than likely an app thats using your gps or constantly doing wake locks. We have an app that our company uses and this thing sucked my battery up several days in a row and I couldnt figure out it was the issue since it was disguised as the google services. The app showed 14% but google services showed 60% +. Anyways I ended up just having to make sure I log out of the app after each use otherwise my battery life sucked, Go over the apps you installed and uninstall/freeze them and then slowly introduce them back and see what triggers it. Or you can try to use "GSam Battery Monitor" to give you a break down of the app thats doing it.

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts

Using WLD I see my phone isn't going to sleep at all. It is always awake. However, WLD isn't telling me what is keeping it awake. As you can see the top app is Google Music (drive in to work) and it isn't near the full awake time.
    Attachment 80227

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts

So I just cleared the cache and data for "Google Services Framework" and "Google Play Services" (I just looked for anything with Google and Services in the name). I then rebooted. It has only been 10 minutes but checking WLD after a few minutes shows my phone is now going into deep sleep (remember it was always "awake"). I'm already at 74% so I am gonna throw it on the charger and get it to 100% then see how it does today. I'll let y'all know.
    msndrstood likes this.

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swiedom View Post
    So I just cleared the cache and data for "Google Services Framework" and "Google Play Services" (I just looked for anything with Google and Services in the name). I then rebooted. It has only been 10 minutes but checking WLD after a few minutes shows my phone is now going into deep sleep (remember it was always "awake"). I'm already at 74% so I am gonna throw it on the charger and get it to 100% then see how it does today. I'll let y'all know.
    I think I jacked up my Google Play. When I go to Google play on my computer it says I have no devices. It says the same thing in the Android Device Manager. Anyone know how to fix this?

I bet I didn't have to clear data for "Google Play Services" and that is why I am jacked up. Clearing "Google Services Framework" seems to have no negative effects and I bet that is the one previously causing the wakelock. Half way through the day and my battery drain is gone.

I think I jacked up my Google Play. When I go to Google play on my computer it says I have no devices. It says the same thing in the Android Device Manager. Anyone know how to fix this?

I bet I didn't have to clear data for "Google Play Services" and that is why I am jacked up. Clearing "Google Services Framework" seems to have no negative effects and I bet that is the one previously causing the wakelock. Half way through the day and my battery drain is gone.
    Are you sure you're logged into the Google account you used when you set up your Play account? Your Play device list, "my apps" list, and wishlist are all tied to that account.

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by STSVA View Post
    Are you sure you're logged into the Google account you used when you set up your Play account? Your Play device list, "my apps" list, and wishlist are all tied to that account.
    Yup, I could see my apps but no device. Since my previous post my device is showing up on Google Play but still not showing up in Android Device Manager. I tried turning it off and on on my phone in the security setting but that didn't fix it.

Global Posts
    6,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Congrats on getting that taken care of! :thumbup:

Yup, I could see my apps but no device. Since my previous post my device is showing up on Google Play but still not showing up in Android Device Manager. I tried turning it off and on on my phone in the security setting but that didn't fix it.
    What are you trying to do with the Google Device Manager? It appears to be a security feature (find phone, disable phone), and at least on my phone doesn't list a device.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast