Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By garublador
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How do you make Gmail app the default mail app?

I would prefer to see the actual gmail app screen when I click on the email icon on the home page. How can I make that icon point to the gmail gmail app? Is it a matter of just putting the gmail widget on the home page and remove the original icon? Thanks, Mary

Default Re: How do you make Gmail app the default mail app?

Welcome to Android Central! The Email icon is specific to the stock Email app on your phone, which can be set up to receive email from multiple different accounts (like Gmail, Hotmail, AOL, etc.)

If you only want to use Gmail, then press & hold the Email icon, then drag it to the Remove or trash can area (which will only remove the shortcut, not the app). Then go to your App Drawer, press and hold Gmail, then drag it to your homescreen.
    Thanked by:

You can use the widget, but it will be larger than the little icon you have now and will show you a few of your most recent messages. If you just want the icon all you have to do is long tap on the current icon and drag it to the little garbage can/little 'x' (I don't remember which it is in TouchWiz) at the top of the screen (it will appear after you've done your long tap and are able to move the icon). You then just need to go to your apps, long tap on the Gmail app and then drag it to the empty spot.
    Thanked by:
    B. Diddy likes this.

The subject states a different problem.
    I want to use both, a gmail account and a generic imap based email account (for work).
    The regular account got somehow set as the default account for the phone, and I can't figure out how to set it to the gmail account.
    Any help?

I'm a little unclear on what you're asking, but if what you want to do is use the Email app to access both Gmail and the IMAP account, with the Gmail account as default, then try this: go into the Email app, press the Menu key, select Settings, then Account settings, then select the Gmail account, and then check Default account. Hope this helps

thank you

I'm trying to do the opposite. I have had 3 email addresses that I have set in my "email" app (gmail included) since I got the phone almost 2 yrs ago. Well now, I not only get the my gmail in my email app but also my gmail app. This is a new problem, likely from some update. Viewing the email on my email app doesn't the email as being read unless I go to my gmail app or gmail on the computer. I've looked in the setting in both apps for a "default" and do not see one other than for sending email. I'm leary about forcing a stop on the gmail app...I don't want to mess anything...so, advice?
    thanks