Can't play any Youtube videos through my Facebook or Facebook Messenger App.

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Anyone found a solution for this?
I can open FB links from my wall for example (I get the open using with box and I can choose from my browsers and the Youtube app), but links from the FB messages just bring to me only video players (MX Player, BSplayer etc) and then not one for them can open the link.
I don't think it has anything to do with defaults to be honest. I haven't set any of them and that's why I get the Open using with dialog box.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Are you using the Facebook for android app?
I never seen or heard (until now) of this problem.

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes, the Facebook app. Not the Messenger.
The links on my timeline or elsewhere open just fine, while the links inside the chat open the option of various media players and then I get a message that the players cannot open the video (any video).

David A Kerr

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm having exactly the same problem with FB Messenger on both my HTC One X and Google Nexus 7 2nd gen. If I uninstall the updates to the Facebook app, then the chat inside this will process the links correctly on my One X, so I'm left thinking Facebook's 'improvements' have caused this problem somewhere along the way.

Spewer Speed

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I was having same problems and I did this, and it worked.

For example the link is as follows -

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC_Up3zrKjE"

replace "http://www" with "m" like so -

m.youtube.com/watch?v=SC_Up3zrKjE

and hit enter... see if magic happens. ;)

Oetter

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Got this problem aswell, but solved it by just clicking on internet (forever)
when the browser appeared I got a new box asking: open in Internet, Chrome or Youtube.
Clicked Youtube and forever.

after this I went back to FB and re-opened the link. he went to internet but immediatly changed to youtube.
So apperently the link has to open in internet first before you can watch it in the youtube app.
pretty strange.

Hopefully this helped solving your problem(s). :cool:

meldridge23

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm having a similar problem on a moto x. If the youtube link is listed as a hyperlink I get the option to open with the youtube app. However, if the youtube link is only posted as a thumbnail, I only get the option to open with "Photos" or "Video Player." Both of these options result in an "unable to play" type message and I cannot open the video at all.