Can't play any Youtube videos through my Facebook or Facebook Messenger App.

Eihwaz

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
My GS4 wont play any Youtube videos when i tap on them in the Facebook and Facebook Messenger Apps. Every time I tap on the thumbnail of the video it only allows me to run it in Video (the default video app) or MX player, and if tap on Video an error message pops up, telling me "Cannot play video. Sorry, this video cannot be played". On the MX Player it gives a variation of the same error message. But when I tap on Youtube links it automatically redirects me to the browser and then from there to the Youtube app where the video plays.

Since whenever someone posts a Youtube video on Facebook it comes up as the "thumbnail", can anyone tell me how to make those link to my browser or, better yet, straight to my Youtube App?

Eihwaz

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I already tried this. Doesn't work for me though. After installing this the same problem still occurs. With the new Facebook App, youtube videos will open in your browser before going into the youtube app. Mine doesn't even give me the option to connect to my browser. It only gives me the option to open in Video or MX player which doesn't work for youtube videos.

I think my problem is that it doesn't connect to the browser. Anyone has this problem too? I'm perfectly happy with the GS4 except for this one little thing which has been bugging me forever.

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I tried the linked app tonight and it worked for me. Maybe re-setting your default app associations will fix things.

Posted via Android Central App

Eihwaz

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I tried the linked app tonight and it worked for me. Maybe re-setting your default app associations will fix things.

Posted via Android Central App

Ummm.. Can you explain more on how to reset default app associations? Because I'm not really sure I'm doing it correctly. Do I just go to the Applications Manager and clear the cache on the relevant apps?

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Go to Settings - Applications Manager. Once in the app manager, scroll to the right until you get to "All", then scroll down through the all apps list and find the apps that are active when you click the video link in facebook. Select each app and then click on "clear defaults". If clear defaults is grayed out, then that app has not been selected as the default app for anything.

Eihwaz

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Ok. Cleared all the defaults on my Facebook, Messenger, Youtube, Chrome, Internet, Video and MX player but it still gives me the same problem. Hmm..

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Ok. Cleared all the defaults on my Facebook, Messenger, Youtube, Chrome, Internet, Video and MX player but it still gives me the same problem. Hmm..

When I installed the FacebookLinks app I linked above, when I opened the facebook app and found a Youtube link, when I clicked on the link it gave me the open with menu, which included a couple of web browsers (I think) and the FacebookLinks app. I selected the app and clicked "always". The next time I clicked on a Youtube link it immediately opened the Youtube app and the video played, without any other actions by me. I'm assuming you're not seeing the option to select the FacebookLinks app in the facebook app "open with" window.