Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can't play any Youtube videos through my Facebook or Facebook Messenger App.

My GS4 wont play any Youtube videos when i tap on them in the Facebook and Facebook Messenger Apps. Every time I tap on the thumbnail of the video it only allows me to run it in Video (the default video app) or MX player, and if tap on Video an error message pops up, telling me "Cannot play video. Sorry, this video cannot be played". On the MX Player it gives a variation of the same error message. But when I tap on Youtube links it automatically redirects me to the browser and then from there to the Youtube app where the video plays.

Since whenever someone posts a Youtube video on Facebook it comes up as the "thumbnail", can anyone tell me how to make those link to my browser or, better yet, straight to my Youtube App?

Default Re: Can't play any Youtube videos through my Facebook or Facebook Messenger App.

I found a reference to this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sharetoyoutube in another thread talking about a problem similar to yours; it sounds like it will do what you want and might be worth a try.
    Thanked by:
    Eihwaz 
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Can't play any Youtube videos through my Facebook or Facebook Messenger App.

I already tried this. Doesn't work for me though. After installing this the same problem still occurs. With the new Facebook App, youtube videos will open in your browser before going into the youtube app. Mine doesn't even give me the option to connect to my browser. It only gives me the option to open in Video or MX player which doesn't work for youtube videos.

I think my problem is that it doesn't connect to the browser. Anyone has this problem too? I'm perfectly happy with the GS4 except for this one little thing which has been bugging me forever.
    Thanked by:

I tried the linked app tonight and it worked for me. Maybe re-setting your default app associations will fix things.

Posted via Android Central App
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (Verizon - SCH-I545) - Android 4.3
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by STSVA View Post
    I tried the linked app tonight and it worked for me. Maybe re-setting your default app associations will fix things.

Posted via Android Central App
    Ummm.. Can you explain more on how to reset default app associations? Because I'm not really sure I'm doing it correctly. Do I just go to the Applications Manager and clear the cache on the relevant apps?

Go to Settings - Applications Manager. Once in the app manager, scroll to the right until you get to "All", then scroll down through the all apps list and find the apps that are active when you click the video link in facebook. Select each app and then click on "clear defaults". If clear defaults is grayed out, then that app has not been selected as the default app for anything.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Ok. Cleared all the defaults on my Facebook, Messenger, Youtube, Chrome, Internet, Video and MX player but it still gives me the same problem. Hmm..

Quote Originally Posted by Eihwaz View Post
    Ok. Cleared all the defaults on my Facebook, Messenger, Youtube, Chrome, Internet, Video and MX player but it still gives me the same problem. Hmm..
    When I installed the FacebookLinks app I linked above, when I opened the facebook app and found a Youtube link, when I clicked on the link it gave me the open with menu, which included a couple of web browsers (I think) and the FacebookLinks app. I selected the app and clicked "always". The next time I clicked on a Youtube link it immediately opened the Youtube app and the video played, without any other actions by me. I'm assuming you're not seeing the option to select the FacebookLinks app in the facebook app "open with" window.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Yea. In the Facebook App "open with" window mine only shows Video and MX Player.

Try uninstalling, then re-installing the FacebookLinks app.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Tried that too.. Doesn't seem to work.

I'm out of ideas. If you do find a solution, please post.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Thanks for all the suggestions, STSVA! Do post if you think of anything else.

i have the same problem i i dont know what to do i try everything i found but still id not working
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by Viri Galvan View Post
    i have the same problem i i dont know what to do i try everything i found but still id not working
    Yea.....I even tried downloading other youtube video players but the problem persists.

Anyone can help?

sorry I don't have a solution, but i DO have the exact same problem.
    Hoping someone can answer this.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Anyone know if doing a factory reset on my phone would fix the problem?

I have the same problem. I recon this is happening after Facebook update.

Im still having this problem, Has anyone had any luck finding out why it keeps happening. Its really annoying.

Just install BSplayer and open FB video links with that.

Global Posts
    801 Global Posts

Anyone found a solution for this?
    I can open FB links from my wall for example (I get the open using with box and I can choose from my browsers and the Youtube app), but links from the FB messages just bring to me only video players (MX Player, BSplayer etc) and then not one for them can open the link.
    I don't think it has anything to do with defaults to be honest. I haven't set any of them and that's why I get the Open using with dialog box.

Global Posts
    5,975 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Are you using the Facebook for android app?
    I never seen or heard (until now) of this problem.

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

Global Posts
    801 Global Posts

Yes, the Facebook app. Not the Messenger.
    The links on my timeline or elsewhere open just fine, while the links inside the chat open the option of various media players and then I get a message that the players cannot open the video (any video).

I'm having exactly the same problem with FB Messenger on both my HTC One X and Google Nexus 7 2nd gen. If I uninstall the updates to the Facebook app, then the chat inside this will process the links correctly on my One X, so I'm left thinking Facebook's 'improvements' have caused this problem somewhere along the way.

I was having same problems and I did this, and it worked.

For example the link is as follows -

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC_Up3zrKjE"

replace "http://www" with "m" like so -

m.youtube.com/watch?v=SC_Up3zrKjE

and hit enter... see if magic happens.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast