Hairline crack?!

AUHHZUMA

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I drove to work this morning (09/11/2013), my phone was fine. I placed my phone on my desk, my phone was fine. I check my phone 5 minutes later and this is what it looked like. :confused:

I went to a local ATT repair shop and the guy said the phone had a hairline crack in it, which I didn't notice.

I've never dropped my phone and the hairline crack is UNDER the glass, which is not cracked.

The repair guy said it was from pressure on the screen. I'm not sure what to think.

This is a strange place on the touch screen for this to happen.

Please help,

AUHHZUMA

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/sig753/IMG_3743_zps82c86b41.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/sig753/IMG_3751_zps6b7c30a4.jpg

Last edited:

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Looks like a hairline crack eventually spread to the otherside.
This is very normal of glass. Most cracks eventually spider out.
This is pressure on the screen for sure. Whether a drop, bump, hit, or simply wearing it on jeans and sitting on it wrong.
Very unfortunately, looks like a complete LCD will need to be replaced as well.

AUHHZUMA

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I've looked around and found that it's the AMOLED (active-matrix organic light-emitting diode) that has the crack in it, not the glass.
The questions I have are, how is this possible, is this a S4 defect and/or just my bad luck?

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I've looked around and found that it's the AMOLED (active-matrix organic light-emitting diode) that has the crack in it, not the glass.
The questions I have are, how is this possible, is this a S4 defect and/or just my bad luck?

What leads you think it's a defect?
I already explained: Pressure. Bumps, drops, pressure in the pocket, sitting on the phone.
The thinner the phone the less durable for the most part.

AUHHZUMA

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Since it's Friday the 13th...
IT'S ALIVE AND GROWING!!! MWHAHAHA!
The hairline crack is growing.
Just a little update.
0356SamsungS4_zpsf2208c4a.jpg

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry to see that. That stinx. That's some of the most stinky stink you can...smell...on a phone. Do you keep your phone somewhat tight clothes without a case on it? What would cause this? I keep my phone in a Belkin case and I don't ever put it in my pants pocket (I have a belt clip). I'm just wondering what caused that and I want to avoid doing that thing.

Sent from my humble Note 8.0 LTE

Gavin Bunting

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I have just experienced the same problem with my samsung galaxy S4. My phone was in my pocket and a message came through, so I took it out of my pocket to find the screen mysteriously disappeared and came back with only 1/3 working. After close inspection I noticed a hair line crack while I haven't dropped the phone, I also noticed this happened to someone with the galaxy S2 on another forum, it must be a default..

tjg312

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Had the same thing happen on mine, I woke up one morning and there was a hairline crack on it, NEVER dropped. Went to at&t and they told me tough luck, you dropped it and or abused it and am basically screwed. I was pissed but got over it, couple days later woke up again and the crack spiderwebbed like crazy across the screen.. finally bit the bullet and paid $200 for samsung to replace it. Definitely something up with the screens, not the first time I read this either

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Had the same thing happen on mine, I woke up one morning and there was a hairline crack on it, NEVER dropped. Went to at&t and they told me tough luck, you dropped it and or abused it and am basically screwed. I was pissed but got over it, couple days later woke up again and the crack spiderwebbed like crazy across the screen.. finally bit the bullet and paid $200 for samsung to replace it. Definitely something up with the screens, not the first time I read this either

Nothing is wrong with screens. Just people not taking care of their phones. These cracks do not happen for no reason, unless they came cracked out of the box then obviously that's an issue with the mfg.
Lastly while the layer on top of the AMOLED screen is thick and durable, the glass that is on the screen it self is not. The S4 can flex under heavy stress which can easily lead to an internal crack.
Best bet is to put it on a case.

tjg312

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Nothing is wrong with screens. Just people not taking care of their phones. These cracks do not happen for no reason, unless they came cracked out of the box then obviously that's an issue with the mfg.
Lastly while the layer on top of the AMOLED screen is thick and durable, the glass that is on the screen it self is not. The S4 can flex under heavy stress which can easily lead to an internal crack.
There definitely is something wrong with the QC on them... I had the first hairline crack not even 2 days after I got my s4, I babied the hell out of it, I can say that with 100% certainty nothing happened to my phone during that period to cause it to crack, I babied the hell out of it. I have no reason to lie about it, I ended up coughing up the $200 to fix it and nothing I can do now. Never had an issue with it since, however seeing these reports definitely leads me to believe there's a percentage of screens out there that have some issues like this

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
There definitely is something wrong with the QC on them... I had the first hairline crack not even 2 days after I got my s4, I babied the hell out of it, I can say that with 100% certainty nothing happened to my phone during that period to cause it to crack, I babied the hell out of it. I have no reason to lie about it, I ended up coughing up the $200 to fix it and nothing I can do now. Never had an issue with it since, however seeing these reports definitely leads me to believe there's a percentage of screens out there that have some issues like this

Your report is far more consistent with factory issues. If it's truly 2 days after and you babied the phone (which I am sure you are since it's new), then perhaps something is out of tolerances at the factory. The earlier the reports from out of the box, the more likely it's a factory issue.

I'd recommend talking to your Carrier or Samsung. They may bust out the "physical damage" card, but worth a try.
Explain to them that you have seen a few reports regarding this issue, and be ready to link to those reports or to explain the dates/circumstances. The earlier the reports the better you can make out.

I did this for the HP Envy 17 series and turned in several reports as well as wasted 3 months with HP Research lab. They were utterly clueless or refused to run the tests properly. Anyways someone must of listened as the newer Envy 17's came with a far more robust cooling system.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
You and I may truly take care of our phones and try to keep them in new(ish) condition but everyone doesn't do that and OEM's should make their devices durable enough so that folks don't have to expend such loving care to maintain a working-well device. ...just my .01 cent.

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
You and I may truly take care of our phones and try to keep them in new(ish) condition but everyone doesn't do that and OEM's should make their devices durable enough so that folks don't have to expend such loving care to maintain a working-well device. ...just my .01 cent.

I agree, however the market and majority of people want a thin slim lighter phone. It's a contradiction in engineering, asking for a thinner slimmer lighter phone but maintaining the rigidity and strength..
Eventually you have to compromise.
Anyways using a case should help some, at the cost of footprint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21