S4 stock camera vs Google Play Edition camera?

Kriingle

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello-

I recently installed the Google Play Edition stock camera on my Int'l GS4 and was trying it out when I realized how the picture quality of the GPE camera and the Samsung stock camera were around the same (with the Samsung pics being a bit clearer) while the picture sizes were radically different. One sample pic that I took with the Samsung camera came out to 5.2mb while the same pic taken with the GPE camera came out to be a mere 792kb.

Is there something I'm missing? Both pictures were taken at 13MP, same size, with no additional filters or settings. Are the Samsung stock camera pics really higher quality than the GPE camera pics or are they just bloated? Some clarifications would be appreciated. Thanks!

Posted via Android Central App

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Took some pictures in bright daylight at a car race last weekend using procapture and they were all around the 5-7mb range. Maybe some kind of software issue?

Edit: forgot to say that was on my s4 gpe

Last edited:

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
More MB in image file size typically indicates more data. My guess would be the Google camera is applying much more aggressive jpeg compression. That would be consistent with the stock camera giving you clearer images.

Kriingle

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
More MB in image file size typically indicates more data. My guess would be the Google camera is applying much more aggressive jpeg compression. That would be consistent with the stock camera giving you clearer images.

That makes sense... Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon