Why everyone is bashing the S4 screen?

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Website reviewers as well as ordinary users are saying the S4 is ''bad'' compared to other flagship like One,Z1 and G2.
Why are they so much against the samoled screen while it was praised on the S2 and S3?

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Website reviewers as well as ordinary users are saying the S4 is ''bad'' compared to other flagship like One,Z1 and G2.
Why are they so much against the samoled screen while it was praised on the S2 and S3?

They say the colors are saturated. I actually like it.

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4

neiljay6

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Anyone who tells you that the s4 screen is "bad" is a complete moron. Its a different screen tech that some prefer and some don't but is definitely not bad and actually quite good. Have seen the One's screen in person and I will admit it is a bit sharper, but in certain situations it looks washed out compared to the rich colours on my S4. People talk about colour accuracy blah blah blah..i like what looks GOOD to me and most ordinary people are attracted to the "saturated" colours of the s4. Haven't seen the G2/Z1 and have no doubt that their screens may be better, but the s4 is six months older so you would expect that and I don't think they could be that much better. And concerning the Z1 I will reserve judgement on that myself when i see it. All in all just enjoy your phone and let the haters hate. Samsung is top dog and everyone is out for the top dog's head.

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Anyone who tells you that the s4 screen is "bad" is a complete moron. Its a different screen tech that some prefer and some don't but is definitely not bad and actually quite good. Have seen the One's screen in person and I will admit it is a bit sharper, but in certain situations it looks washed out compared to the rich colours on my S4. People talk about colour accuracy blah blah blah..i like what looks GOOD to me and most ordinary people are attracted to the "saturated" colours of the s4. Haven't seen the G2/Z1 and have no doubt that their screens may be better, but the s4 is six months older so you would expect that and I don't think they could be that much better. And concerning the Z1 I will reserve judgement on that myself when i see it. All in all just enjoy your phone and let the haters hate. Samsung is top dog and everyone is out for the top dog's head.

This.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Now now. No need for the Moron comment. Some people don't like the S4's immersive saturated colour palet and prefer a duller "more accurate" rendition. The S4's "inky" blacks are not for everyone. Screens like the HTC One's and LG G2's are popular for good reason and are more visible in bright sunlight.

I like the S4's almost cartoonish colour, it's quite involving and makes the screen "fun" to look at but I can respect the counterpoint.

S IV

Last edited:

Spewy1

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
I like the screen when it is bright but I am sick of the thing adjusting the brightness all the time (yes I have Auto adjust switched off)

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Weird!
GSM Arena still consider the S4 to have one of the best screen under sunlight!!
Taken from the today LG G2 vs S4:
However, the end result is strongly in favor of the Samsung Galaxy S4. It took a small step back compared to the Galaxy S III, but it still has one of the best screens to use in direct sunlight. The LG G2 has a fairly disappointing sunlight legibility score of just under what the Apple iPhone 4 managed. Apple has greatly improved its screens since, while the G2 is beaten by a midrange HTC Desire 600 dual sim (to be fair the higher end HTC One mini is actually worse)

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Couldn't of said it better myself!

What I bolded is how I feel myself. I actually think that while the HTC one's screen does look sharp, it also looks too washed out....TO ME! I like vivid and vibrant colors so I prefer Amoled screens!

gavo360

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
The tech press bash amoled because the iPhone uses LCD. Same goes for knocking a phone because its plastic. But I bet we hear less criticism of plastic phones now that Apple are doing one.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
The tech press bash amoled because the iPhone uses LCD. Same goes for knocking a phone because its plastic. But I bet we hear less criticism of plastic phones now that Apple are doing one.

So, it is Apples's fault that their screen can be seen in sunlight, and an AMOLED can't? /smh

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Now now. No need for the Moron comment. Some people don't like the S4's immersive saturated colour palet and prefer a duller "more accurate" rendition. The S4's "inky" blacks are not for everyone. Screens like the HTC One's and LG G2's are popular for good reason and are more visible in bright sunlight.

I like the S4's almost cartoonish colour, it's quite involving and makes the screen "fun" to look at but I can respect the counterpoint.

S IV

If say this. It just depends on what the person likes... There won't every be a true "winner".

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I hear more praises to the screen. Personally speaking, over saturation is cool, I can see "realistic" colours in daily life, but my wife has an AMOLED screen on her device and when I return to my iPhone it looks washed out. Granted I have a 4s.

doohsun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue but if you pick up anti glare matt screen protector it will help big time!

Last edited:

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Evidently, the reviewer at GSM Arena puts something up his nose.:) AMOLED is worthless in sunlight.

I think you should go and read the GSMARENA comparison a couple more times. The reviewer is not pulling feathers from his behind and neither is he snorting anything, he has factually backed up his statement with valid data.

Just because you don't agree with the facts doesn't mean you get to disrespect the reviewer by making such snark comments.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I like my S4's screen, I just don't like that it's nearly impossible to see it in bright daylight.

Even with Auto brightness and +5?

I like the screen when it is bright but I am sick of the thing adjusting the brightness all the time (yes I have Auto adjust switched off)

This is really my only complaint about the S4 compared to some other phones (like iPhone). It's even worse if you're wearing polarized sunglasses (which I usually am when it's sunny).

Auto-brightness is a considerable battery hog, so I prefer to leave that off, but it is annoying to have to turn up the brightness just to see it in the sunlight.

In regards to the OP, I would definitely not say that the screen is "bad". There are pros and cons with each technology, and some folks prefer one to the other, but for me, I find the S4 screen amazing...as long as I'm not standing outdoors in bright sunlight.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie