Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why everyone is bashing the S4 screen?

Website reviewers as well as ordinary users are saying the S4 is ''bad'' compared to other flagship like One,Z1 and G2.
    Why are they so much against the samoled screen while it was praised on the S2 and S3?

Default Re: Why everyone is bashing the S4 screen?

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Jeff View Post
    Website reviewers as well as ordinary users are saying the S4 is ''bad'' compared to other flagship like One,Z1 and G2.
    Why are they so much against the samoled screen while it was praised on the S2 and S3?
    They say the colors are saturated. I actually like it.

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4

Anyone who tells you that the s4 screen is "bad" is a complete moron. Its a different screen tech that some prefer and some don't but is definitely not bad and actually quite good. Have seen the One's screen in person and I will admit it is a bit sharper, but in certain situations it looks washed out compared to the rich colours on my S4. People talk about colour accuracy blah blah blah..i like what looks GOOD to me and most ordinary people are attracted to the "saturated" colours of the s4. Haven't seen the G2/Z1 and have no doubt that their screens may be better, but the s4 is six months older so you would expect that and I don't think they could be that much better. And concerning the Z1 I will reserve judgement on that myself when i see it. All in all just enjoy your phone and let the haters hate. Samsung is top dog and everyone is out for the top dog's head.
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by neiljay6 View Post
    Anyone who tells you that the s4 screen is "bad" is a complete moron. Its a different screen tech that some prefer and some don't but is definitely not bad and actually quite good. Have seen the One's screen in person and I will admit it is a bit sharper, but in certain situations it looks washed out compared to the rich colours on my S4. People talk about colour accuracy blah blah blah..i like what looks GOOD to me and most ordinary people are attracted to the "saturated" colours of the s4. Haven't seen the G2/Z1 and have no doubt that their screens may be better, but the s4 is six months older so you would expect that and I don't think they could be that much better. And concerning the Z1 I will reserve judgement on that myself when i see it. All in all just enjoy your phone and let the haters hate. Samsung is top dog and everyone is out for the top dog's head.
    This.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4
    qxr likes this.

Global Posts
    6,219 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Now now. No need for the Moron comment. Some people don't like the S4's immersive saturated colour palet and prefer a duller "more accurate" rendition. The S4's "inky" blacks are not for everyone. Screens like the HTC One's and LG G2's are popular for good reason and are more visible in bright sunlight.

I like the S4's almost cartoonish colour, it's quite involving and makes the screen "fun" to look at but I can respect the counterpoint.

S IV
    Last edited by Haalcyon; 09-17-2013 at 06:58 AM.
    Live long and prosper.

Thanked by:

I like my S4's screen, I just don't like that it's nearly impossible to see it in bright daylight.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by OhAlfie View Post
    I like my S4's screen, I just don't like that it's nearly impossible to see it in bright daylight.
    Even with Auto brightness and +5?
    satannik and HPferoxCraft like this.

I like the screen when it is bright but I am sick of the thing adjusting the brightness all the time (yes I have Auto adjust switched off)
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Weird!
    GSM Arena still consider the S4 to have one of the best screen under sunlight!!
    Taken from the today LG G2 vs S4:
    However, the end result is strongly in favor of the Samsung Galaxy S4. It took a small step back compared to the Galaxy S3, but it still has one of the best screens to use in direct sunlight. The LG G2 has a fairly disappointing sunlight legibility score of just under what the Apple iPhone 4 managed. Apple has greatly improved its screens since, while the G2 is beaten by a midrange HTC Desire 600 dual sim (to be fair the higher end HTC One mini is actually worse)

Quote Originally Posted by neiljay6 View Post
    Couldn't of said it better myself!

What I bolded is how I feel myself. I actually think that while the HTC one's screen does look sharp, it also looks too washed out....TO ME! I like vivid and vibrant colors so I prefer Amoled screens!
    Thanked by:
    Shanicenicolle and Haalcyon like this.

The tech press bash amoled because the iPhone uses LCD. Same goes for knocking a phone because its plastic. But I bet we hear less criticism of plastic phones now that Apple are doing one.
    Thanked by:
    neiljay6, kgbkny, Haalcyon and 1 others like this.

Global Posts
    2,077 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Weird!
    GSM Arena still consider the S4 to have one of the best screen under sunlight!!
    Taken from the today LG G2 vs S4:
    Evidently, the reviewer at GSM Arena puts something up his nose. AMOLED is worthless in sunlight.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." - William F. Buckley, Jr.

Global Posts
    2,077 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by gavo360 View Post
    The tech press bash amoled because the iPhone uses LCD. Same goes for knocking a phone because its plastic. But I bet we hear less criticism of plastic phones now that Apple are doing one.
    So, it is Apples's fault that their screen can be seen in sunlight, and an AMOLED can't? /smh
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." - William F. Buckley, Jr.

Global Posts
    6,219 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by pappy53 View Post
    So, it is Apples's fault that their screen can be seen in sunlight, and an AMOLED can't? /smh
    So its Samsung's fault that SAMOLED offer's inky blacks that look tremendous for movies and games, and that LCD doesn't?

Note 8.0
    Live long and prosper.

satannik, kgbkny, qxr and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    Now now. No need for the Moron comment. Some people don't like the S4's immersive saturated colour palet and prefer a duller "more accurate" rendition. The S4's "inky" blacks are not for everyone. Screens like the HTC One's and LG G2's are popular for good reason and are more visible in bright sunlight.

I like the S4's almost cartoonish colour, it's quite involving and makes the screen "fun" to look at but I can respect the counterpoint.

S IV
    If say this. It just depends on what the person likes... There won't every be a true "winner".

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

I hear more praises to the screen. Personally speaking, over saturation is cool, I can see "realistic" colours in daily life, but my wife has an AMOLED screen on her device and when I return to my iPhone it looks washed out. Granted I have a 4s.

Global Posts
    2,077 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    So its Samsung's fault that SAMOLED offer's inky blacks that look tremendous for movies and games, and that LCD doesn't?

Note 8.0
    And blue whites? There are compromises in each one.

I had the same issue but if you pick up anti glare matt screen protector it will help big time!
    Last edited by doohsun; 09-17-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Evidently, the reviewer at GSM Arena puts something up his nose. AMOLED is worthless in sunlight.
    I think you should go and read the GSMARENA comparison a couple more times. The reviewer is not pulling feathers from his behind and neither is he snorting anything, he has factually backed up his statement with valid data.

Just because you don't agree with the facts doesn't mean you get to disrespect the reviewer by making such snark comments.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by OhAlfie View Post
    Even with Auto brightness and +5?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spewy1 View Post
    I like the screen when it is bright but I am sick of the thing adjusting the brightness all the time (yes I have Auto adjust switched off)
    This is really my only complaint about the S4 compared to some other phones (like iPhone). It's even worse if you're wearing polarized sunglasses (which I usually am when it's sunny).

Auto-brightness is a considerable battery hog, so I prefer to leave that off, but it is annoying to have to turn up the brightness just to see it in the sunlight.

In regards to the OP, I would definitely not say that the screen is "bad". There are pros and cons with each technology, and some folks prefer one to the other, but for me, I find the S4 screen amazing...as long as I'm not standing outdoors in bright sunlight.

Global Posts
    2,077 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by msavic6 View Post
    I think you should go and read the GSMARENA comparison a couple more times. The reviewer is not pulling feathers from his behind and neither is he snorting anything, he has factually backed up his statement with valid data.

Just because you don't agree with the facts doesn't mean you get to disrespect the reviewer by making such snark comments.

If he is saying that ANY AMOLED screen is great in sunlight, then he needs to find another profession. Either that, or he is the world's biggest fanboy! No valid data exists to make that a factual statement.

Global Posts
    2,077 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Just because you don't agree with the facts
    What facts?

Global Posts
    6,219 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

My S4 is not great in Direct Sunlight but it's usable. I rarely use my phone in direct sunlight but I realize others do. It's easy enough to pick a different phone if that aspect is critical.

Sony XTZ
    Live long and prosper.

pappy53 and neiljay6 like this.

What facts?

Global Posts
    2,077 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

This is contrast ratio, not visibility. Can you not read several other posts right here and see that sunlight is a problem with the S4? Readable, but a problem. Much more so than a LCD screen.
    thedean0375 likes this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast