Galaxy S4: "Back" button randomly doesn't work

Taylor York

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Has anybody else had this problem of pressing the back button and it not working? I hear the "blip" sound when it's pushed, but nothing happens? Does it sense my finger using the air view or something? For example, I'm on a website and want to go "back", I push the button and hear the noise, but nothing on the screen changes.

It is "uncommon" that this happens. But it happens a couple times a day. Anybody have this issue? Could it just be the Air View is sensing my finger on the screen and it therefore seems like a glitch, but isn't?

Last edited by a moderator:

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: "Back" button randomly doesn't work

I haven't run into that. Some questions: How long has this been happening? Are you using the stock launcher or a 3rd party launcher? Also, is your device rooted or have uou attempted to root it?

Edible Walrus

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site

I've has this maybe once it twice since I got the phone. Seems to have stopped though

Posted via Android Central App

Taylor York

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

Ive had the phone for about a week and have had the issue for around 2-3 days. Never tried to root it either haha. Another "issue" would be that one of the prongs of the stock charger is gone so it doesn't work unless pressed in a different angle (using different charger). If I'm playing any game with highest brightness on a charger, it also seems to lose percentages, although it is really slow. Maybe charger? Probably just too much power. It also has slow screen rotation, but I'm assuming all s4's have the same speed. And lastly, not sure if this is hardware related, but as I was playing stick wars 3, it would start to lag about a second at moments.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

You may want to try a factory reset and see if that helps. With my S4 I've found that just about any 2 amp micro-USB charger works so you could try a different charger and see if that helps. As far as screen rotation, I just tried it in on my S4. It takes 1-2 seconds before it rotates but that may be deliberate so that it doesn't appear "jumpy".

Taylor York

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

All right, thanks! Oh also, I have to constantly delete the camera cache to make the other camera modes reappear.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

You have plenty of free space. If you've done a factory reset on your phone, did the issue return right away. I wonder if this has anything to do with the ?lag" I've heard of.

Sony XTZ

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

All right, thanks! Oh also, I have to constantly delete the camera cache to make the other camera modes reappear.

Have you tried clearing cache in recovery? Both problems may be linked to conflicting cached data.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

Taylor York

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

Have you tried clearing cache in recovery? Both problems may be linked to conflicting cached data.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3
How do I do that?

Also, I noticed another "lag" thing about phone volume up and down. Just now, I was trying to see if it was on vibrate or mute, and I'd press the up button etc., it would vibrate indicating it changed modes, but I'd also keep going up, and the visual "blue bar" would go up after like 3/4th of a second after I pressed it. It's now back to normal with reaction, but is this just th S4 faulty touchwiz?

Thanks guys!

EDIT: Yeah, the lag with the volume button is still there at any time. Just want to know that this isn't a hardware defect...

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

How do I do that?

Also, I noticed another "lag" thing about phone volume up and down. Just now, I was trying to see if it was on vibrate or mute, and I'd press the up button etc., it would vibrate indicating it changed modes, but I'd also keep going up, and the visual "blue bar" would go up after like 3/4th of a second after I pressed it. It's now back to normal with reaction, but is this just th S4 faulty touchwiz?

Thanks guys!

EDIT: Yeah, the lag with the volume button is still there at any time. Just want to know that this isn't a hardware defect...
This should help a little: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html

Taylor York

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

Thanks!!! And I did it, but it didn't really change anything... I noticed that I actually have to "clear data" instead of the cache for it to re-appear.

Should I just do a full factory reset?

I really just want to know if these bugs are what everybody is experiencing, or if I should request a new phone before it's too late, because of it not working 100%.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Thanks!!! And I did it, but it didn't really change anything... I noticed that I actually have to "clear data" instead of the cache for it to re-appear.

Should I just do a full factory reset?

I really just want to know if these bugs are what everybody is experiencing, or if I should request a new phone before it's too late, because of it not working 100%.

A reset now may not be a bad idea. You will have yo set your phone up again.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

Taylor York

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

A reset now may not be a bad idea. You will have yo set your phone up again.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3
Thanks GD! Just did it, and I did notice that it was a lot more smooth when I didn't have any apps installed... must just be a touch wiz thing. Installed the Nova Launcher (just learned about them) and it's been GREAT.

Cam and everything else looks fine right now... I'll get back to you when I can use it more.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Thanks GD! Just did it, and I did notice that it was a lot more smooth when I didn't have any apps installed... must just be a touch wiz thing. Installed the Nova Launcher (just learned about them) and it's been GREAT.

Cam and everything else looks fine right now... I'll get back to you when I can use it more.

Glad everything is working out. Thanks for posting the follow up.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

Taylor York

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

All right, I switched to Apex as my main, since Nova had that "stutter" while scrolling through the home page right when I start scrolling.

Anyways, the glitch with the camera is still there. It disappears unless I delete the memory again.

Quartz13

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site

I got this phone for less than a week now. I've problem with the back' button. It randomly works in my case. It's making it difficult for me to use this phone. Sometimes it responses for some few minutes then it doesn't function again. Sometimes I've to press harder but it doesn't respond. Is it a hardware problem? Any help for me?
Another problem is that the phone heats up (becomes very hot) when I on the data for some few minutes (about just 5mins) Could it be a battery problem? The battery runs down too faster than usual when i on the data. I've used galaxy s3 but i never experienced what I'm seeing this time riund

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781