Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 256
Like Tree31Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

    Default Re: Micro SD Card Corruption Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by STSVA View Post
    According to a lot of people's reports the card corruption problem seems to occur in conjunction with the phone getting unusually hot. Perhaps the heat, which may be caused by something unrelated to the card, such as battery issues, is damaging cards. Sandisk, however, claims that its cards can be safely exposed to temperatures up to 185 degrees f./85 degrees c. - http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/de...,-magnetic-and - so high temperature alone probably shouldn't be causing the corruption issue.
    Huh! So maybe the heat somehow affects the writing process on the phone, and perhaps it seems that as of now, SanDisk cards are the cards that seem to be most affected by this possible phone malfunction? Very interesting...

    Thanks for the info!

    Posted via Android Central App
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

    Default Re: Micro SD Card Corruption Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by rrasho24 View Post
    You'll forgive me for not reading the entire post, but if you haven't already fixed the issue know that it is due to the fact that you used a Sandisk SD card.... I had the same issue, called Sandisk and had them send me another card and that card took a crap too. My buddy had a Sandisk he took from his Note 1 and tried to use it in his S4 and it too crapped out. I ended up going with a Samsung SD Card and so far so good! Good Luck!
    Thank you for the reply!

    Have you also tried other brands of SD cards? From other posts as well as yours, it seems like the Samsung cards are the most stable (I wouldn't be too surprised haha).

    I'm either going to try and find another brand or see how the cards for my family members' are holding up...

    Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  

    Default Re: Micro SD Card Corruption Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by KevroniCoal View Post
    Huh! So maybe the heat somehow affects the writing process on the phone, and perhaps it seems that as of now, SanDisk cards are the cards that seem to be most affected by this possible phone malfunction? Very interesting...

    Thanks for the info!

    Posted via Android Central App
    Oh, also, I'm pretty sure my phone hasn't quite reached that temperature SanDisk claims their cards can handle! :P

    Posted via Android Central App
  4. #29  

    Default Re: Micro SD Card Corruption Issues

    Pny made the card I was using, though mine could have been an isolated incident. Though no issues post formatting of card.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  

    Default Re: Micro SD Card Corruption Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by lafountain View Post
    Pny made the card I was using, though mine could have been an isolated incident. Though no issues post formatting of card.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app
    Sorry I never replied to your other post! I've heard of a lot of people getting that same dismounting problem that you mentioned. I've also read about different methods of fixing it. I think reformatting it to the phone usually is what works!
    Perhaps something might change for my problem if I reformat it with the phone again? Hmm

    Thanks!

    Posted via Android Central App
  6. #31  

    Default Re: Micro SD Card Corruption Issues

    I picked this card haven't gotten any problems as you explained ADATA Premier 32GB microSDHC UHS-I Class 10 Flash Memory Card w/Adapter. Definitely sound like you have a bad card. Personally I don't think SD is ask good as they use to be.
  7. #32  

    Default Re: Micro SD Card Corruption Issues

    I am throwing in my .02 on this topic.

    No where am I reading where these people are buying their sd cards from. EBAY? RETAILER? AMAZON???

    I got a card on ebay. 24 bucks for samsung class 10 64gb. Popped it in the phone formatted it. Works. take pix and saves to the card...

    go back to look and the pix are corrupted.

    Anyways

    I go to Best buy..pickup a sandisk 64 gb card spent 65 bucks on it. The same card the Samsung rep has in his phone (By the way at Best buy they have Samsung kiosks for help now)

    I talked to him about the issues with the card couldnt figure anything out so I bought the card. Put it in with the Rep right there. The card been working FLAWLESSLY for 2 days now.

    So....My guess all these issues stem from counterfeit or bad cards sold on line.
    STARGATE likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  

    Default Re: Micro SD Card Corruption Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by redrover69 View Post
    I am throwing in my .02 on this topic.

    No where am I reading where these people are buying their sd cards from. EBAY? RETAILER? AMAZON???

    I got a card on ebay. 24 bucks for samsung class 10 64gb. Popped it in the phone formatted it. Works. take pix and saves to the card...

    go back to look and the pix are corrupted.

    Anyways

    I go to Best buy..pickup a sandisk 64 gb card spent 65 bucks on it. The same card the Samsung rep has in his phone (By the way at Best buy they have Samsung kiosks for help now)

    I talked to him about the issues with the card couldnt figure anything out so I bought the card. Put it in with the Rep right there. The card been working FLAWLESSLY for 2 days now.

    So....My guess all these issues stem from counterfeit or bad cards sold on line.
    I did get my card from Amazon, from the Amazon seller. The packaging of the card was the legitimate SanDisk package - never opened and no sign of any attempt to open it (absolutely brand new).

    Not everyone also posted what class their SD cards are, since there could always be the possibility that the problem is between class 10 and lower class cards. I'm not sure if that would really affect much though...

    Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using AC Forums mobile app
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #34  

    Default Re: Micro SD Card Corruption Issues

    OK I found out that the card also lets PDFs become corrupt. I copied one PDF (560.7kb large) onto the SD card around a week ago. I checked on that same file (going through the folders using the My Files app, then opening using Adobe reader). Adobe can no longer open it ("Error - The document cannot be opened because it is not a valid PDF document"). The file name still is the same (..... .pdf, seen from the file details).

    An additional strange thing I've noticed: some photos that I have that are not "corrupt" but instead lost their quality. I had some pictures that I took for fun of this pocket knife, for example. After I took them (like a week or so ago?), I could zoom in onto the letters all the way and see them perfectly clearly. Now, it seems like I took the photos with a 3MP camera or something (just an exaggeration kinda haha).


    I'm going to do another "test" by cleaning out the SD card (reformatting it on the phone [or should it be done on the computer?] - AFTER backing all the photos!) and trying to save pics again by copying and also taking pics. Afterwards, I'll again reformat the card and try the card out on this tablet.

    I'm thinking that if my tablet can handle the card perfectly, then it's likely the phone's (or, at least mostly the phone's) fault. If the card still seems to not work properly (any sort of corruption, loss of photo quality, etc) then I think it may be safe to say that I should look into another SD card/refund.


    Any suggestions or concerns of this "test" I'm going to do will be appreciated! :P
    And thank you all for the help so far!

    Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using AC Forums mobile app
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

    Default Re: Micro SD Card Corruption Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by KevroniCoal View Post
    OK I found out that the card also lets PDFs become corrupt. I copied one PDF (560.7kb large) onto the SD card around a week ago. I checked on that same file (going through the folders using the My Files app, then opening using Adobe reader). Adobe can no longer open it ("Error - The document cannot be opened because it is not a valid PDF document"). The file name still is the same (..... .pdf, seen from the file details).

    An additional strange thing I've noticed: some photos that I have that are not "corrupt" but instead lost their quality. I had some pictures that I took for fun of this pocket knife, for example. After I took them (like a week or so ago?), I could zoom in onto the letters all the way and see them perfectly clearly. Now, it seems like I took the photos with a 3MP camera or something (just an exaggeration kinda haha).


    I'm going to do another "test" by cleaning out the SD card (reformatting it on the phone [or should it be done on the computer?] - AFTER backing all the photos!) and trying to save pics again by copying and also taking pics. Afterwards, I'll again reformat the card and try the card out on this tablet.

    I'm thinking that if my tablet can handle the card perfectly, then it's likely the phone's (or, at least mostly the phone's) fault. If the card still seems to not work properly (any sort of corruption, loss of photo quality, etc) then I think it may be safe to say that I should look into another SD card/refund.


    Any suggestions or concerns of this "test" I'm going to do will be appreciated! :P
    And thank you all for the help so far!

    Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using AC Forums mobile app
    So far, to my absolute complete astonishment, the SD card is working basically flawlessly on my GS4 after backing up my files, formatting the SD card on the phone, unmounting the card, removing then reinserting the card back into the phone, then again reformatting the card.

    I spammed the heck out of the card with tons of new photos taken from the camera (both photos just from the camera as well as recording a video and taking snapshots while recording). I also copied 6 pdfs onto the card as well as copying 10+ photos through the Gallery app. Everything that I have placed onto the card so far has been stable.

    However, I didn't make this experiment completely controlled. I didn't (and still don't) have my Otterbox case on while taking pics and copying.
    If the problem is linked with overheating, then it may possibly not have showed up during this test since the heat had been able to dissipate much faster than with the thick case on. I'm going to wait a little bit before putting my case back on then respamming the SD card with more pics and files.

    Hopefully it will still keep the files and photos intact!! (Knock on wood)

    Posted via Android Central App
  11. #36  
    STARGATE's Avatar

    Posts
    6,068 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,397 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

    Default Re: Micro SD Card Corruption Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by KevroniCoal View Post

    Hopefully it will still keep the files and photos intact!! (Knock on wood)

    Posted via Android Central App
    Let's hope, and good luck!
    May the Force be with you!
    :thumbup:

    Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!
    Thanked by:
    KevroniCoal likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #37  

    Default Re: Micro SD Card Corruption Issues

    So two days or so ago, I noticed the same, haunting logo of a corrupt photo in my gallery... Of course, I was kind of disappointed that it had reappeared once again. However, I'm thinking that perhaps it was because I overloaded the SD with all these pictures and a few videos in a very short amount of time.

    It sounds weird, but I was taking a ton of pictures of this beetle I found in my house. I decided to take a lot of pictures, trying to get a real clear shot. I also at a point started recording a video while taking more pics while recording. I'm thinking that since it seems that only the photos taken in this time have become corrupt, maybe they pictures only turn bad if I overload the SD (and thus only those photos taken at that moment become corrupt)? Since my last update, I haven't noticed any corruption of photos (I haven't checked other file types) or videos until this incident.
    ..Oh, actually I think a few other random photos I took one time also became corrupt. I didn't take a whole photoshoot this time - I may have taken only 3 or 4 photos max. So I'm not sure what happened there.

    The only other thing is that (I think around the time frame of the randomly corrupt photos I just explained) some of my photos just lost their quality completely. I think I explained this problem before. They just seem to become blurry and are not sharp at all.

    (Side note: the pictures I take are usually prefectly fine right after I take them - I can view the photos right after the shot and they are perfect. I've only noticed the photos becoming corrupt at random times -like when I go back and look at the photos awhile afterwards [which can vary from minutes to hours after the shot]. What could explain this..?)

    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
  13. #38  

    Default Re: Micro SD Card Corruption Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by KevroniCoal View Post
    So two days or so ago, I noticed the same, haunting logo of a corrupt photo in my gallery... Of course, I was kind of disappointed that it had reappeared once again. However, I'm thinking that perhaps it was because I overloaded the SD with all these pictures and a few videos in a very short amount of time.

    It sounds weird, but I was taking a ton of pictures of this beetle I found in my house. I decided to take a lot of pictures, trying to get a real clear shot. I also at a point started recording a video while taking more pics while recording. I'm thinking that since it seems that only the photos taken in this time have become corrupt, maybe they pictures only turn bad if I overload the SD (and thus only those photos taken at that moment become corrupt)? Since my last update, I haven't noticed any corruption of photos (I haven't checked other file types) or videos until this incident.
    ..Oh, actually I think a few other random photos I took one time also became corrupt. I didn't take a whole photoshoot this time - I may have taken only 3 or 4 photos max. So I'm not sure what happened there.

    The only other thing is that (I think around the time frame of the randomly corrupt photos I just explained) some of my photos just lost their quality completely. I think I explained this problem before. They just seem to become blurry and are not sharp at all.

    (Side note: the pictures I take are usually prefectly fine right after I take them - I can view the photos right after the shot and they are perfect. I've only noticed the photos becoming corrupt at random times -like when I go back and look at the photos awhile afterwards [which can vary from minutes to hours after the shot]. What could explain this..?)

    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
    I'd suggest backing up all image files to a computer or other external storage site as soon as you record them. Then you'll have a baseline for comparison with the files on your SD Card.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (Verizon - SCH-I545) - Android 4.3
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #39  

    Default Re: Micro SD Card Corruption Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by STSVA View Post
    I'd suggest backing up all image files to a computer or other external storage site as soon as you record them. Then you'll have a baseline for comparison with the files on your SD Card.
    I upload to Dropbox as well as Google+ automatically after taking photos and I think videos. I don't think too much quality is lost doing this, although I haven't really checked and compared haha

    But thank you for the suggestion!

    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk now Free
  15. #40  

    Default Re: Micro SD Card Corruption Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hyland View Post
    Funnily enough, I have the same issue - it's not every pic and it's not every time...
    I've reset the phone to save DCIM photos in the phone memory - I then transfer them at the first opportunity to my laptop. Only then do I try to put them onto the SD card: if I do it on the phone using either COPY or MOVE functions, some, many, all or none get corrupted (hence the download onto laptop for safekeeping).
    I'll keep an eye on this thread, coz I'm starting to get a little bit hacked-off with this phone... :-(

    I have a major issue with music on the SD card as well - see separate thread.

    I had the same problem but I did some more analysis:

    1. I used 64G SAN DISK Class 10 and after couple of days some of the pictures were corrupted (Black images shown).

    2 .I Formated the SD Memory card and save my images from my PC but after about one week it was corrupted again.

    3. Very important observation is that when I insert teh SD card to my laptop all information was there and the picture can be seen smoothly. SO THE PROBLEM ISNT IN TEH CARD ITSELF.

    3. I replaced the SD card to a 32G Kingston class 4 and the problem has not happened again.

    4. I installed the same 64G SAN DISK Class 10 in another Samsung S4 belong to my friend and now it is 2 weeks it works fine witohut any issue.

    By doing this my conclusion is that the card is not damaged as it was working fine with my PC and in my friend S4, I think SAMSUNG has a compatebility problem with some cards in Galaxy S4, I thing that Samsung must have a information about the issues mentioned in this site and other sites.
    As part of the testing to approve a new phone many tests run to identify and clear this kind of issues.

    I think the problem is inside the S4 itself with some kind of SD cards or some kind of high speed of memory cards.

    I hope SAMSUNG is reading this observation and will contact me to help me with this issue as my phone is under warrenty period but not in my country.

    Thank you
    monsieurms likes this.
  16. #41  

    Default Re: Micro SD Card Corruption Issues

    I had my s4 for 2 days back in July when it corrupted the SanDisk sd card I had been using in my S3 for over a year. I was told it was the sandisk sd card. I lost all my photos. So I purchased a new pny sd card through bestbuy per the samsung reps suggestion. It worked until about 4 weeks ago, when the gallery began freezing. I ended up backing my phone up & then it started working ok again. It was only freezing with the sd card. Now here it is again, freezing & not showing the photos on the sd card or corrupting them. I think it is a s4 issue with all sd cards not the sd cards themselves. I want the extra space, that's why I have a phone that allows the sd card. anyone have another suggestion?
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #42  

    Default Re: Micro SD Card Corruption Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by rundarlin View Post
    I had my s4 for 2 days back in July when it corrupted the SanDisk sd card I had been using in my S3 for over a year. I was told it was the sandisk sd card. I lost all my photos. So I purchased a new pny sd card through bestbuy per the samsung reps suggestion. It worked until about 4 weeks ago, when the gallery began freezing. I ended up backing my phone up & then it started working ok again. It was only freezing with the sd card. Now here it is again, freezing & not showing the photos on the sd card or corrupting them. I think it is a s4 issue with all sd cards not the sd cards themselves. I want the extra space, that's why I have a phone that allows the sd card. anyone have another suggestion?
    I'm also thinking that the problem isn't strictly only from the SD cards we use. People here have been using various brands and classes of cards, most of which seem that they have had some sort of corruption issue.

    Have you noticed any trends with the issues? For example, I noticed if I take a ton of videos or photos and have them saved directly to the card, those photos are likely going to be corrupted or lose their quality. However, if I only take a few pictures, the photos seem to stay fine... Before my card unexpectedly started working like normal recently (a couple weeks or so ago), only 5 or so files (pdfs, other media, etc) could be transferred to the card without being corrupted. Any more and they would likely be unusable afterwards.

    I guess my only suggestion right now would be to have photos automatically upload to Dropbox, Google+ or any other place, or to save the files manually to a computer whenever your can so you won't lose them all the time.


    Thanks for the reply, and good luck!

    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk now Free
  18. #43  

    Default Re: Micro SD Card Corruption Issues

    So after reading both your post, is it right assume that this issue is actually related to the "move" function within the S4, specifically moving folders that contain a lot of pics from the internal memory to the SD card? I just went off on the ebay seller that I bought my new sd card from and after reading this post, I'm starting to think this is related to the phone and not so much the sd card. I lost the majority of my pics and I'm completely devastated. I assume that's a lost cause and they can not be recovered either?
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #44  

    Default Re: Micro SD Card Corruption Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Digitalrage View Post
    So after reading both your post, is it right assume that this issue is actually related to the "move" function within the S4, specifically moving folders that contain a lot of pics from the internal memory to the SD card? I just went off on the ebay seller that I bought my new sd card from and after reading this post, I'm starting to think this is related to the phone and not so much the sd card. I lost the majority of my pics and I'm completely devastated. I assume that's a lost cause and they can not be recovered either?
    Sorry for your losses! :L

    From my own experiences, it *does* seem that the likelihood of photos/videos becoming corrupt during/after moving/copying/saving directly to the SD card increases as the size of the load being transferred/saved increases.

    -[For example, just a few minutes ago I took a short 25s, 52.1MB video which was saved directly to the SD card. It seems to be holding for now, but if something happens to it, I'll let you guys know! (Otherwise, assume it's still ok!).
    I've mostly experienced corruption issues if I were to save a real big load (can't think of how many MB/GB, specifically) - like taking a multi-minute video WHILE taking snapshots. (Of course, there were/are times where corruption occurs 'randomly,' or when my files 'unexpectedly' stay perfectly fine [[like after taking a video with snapshots, the files will remain intact]].

    In general though, taking a succession of videos or photos seems to be the most likely, or at least an acceptable, possibility of why our photos abs/or videos have become corrupt. So I'm kind of thinking it may not be [completely] due to the SD card (although we can't truly rule it out yet).]-

    But as of now, I haven't been able to set aside the time to attempt to recover any of my [many] corrupted photos and videos yet. I might actually try to do or after this reply..? :P

    But in my other thread about this SD card problem, one user commented this:

    ------

    I registered just to post help for this as I just went through this 3 days ago. MY card gave me "card error, need to format" I have all my sons photos on it along with various important documents and family movies. I about had a heart attack when i saw that message.

    Staying cool, I did a big search for corrupted SD cards and came across this freeware program:
    Its called
    Zero Assumption Recovery
    (feel free to google search it- its quite popular with this "life challenge"
    The tool is not totally free--EXCEPT the photo and video portion recovery.

    I have a 32 gb card and it took about 60-70 minutes for the whole process- end result?
    ALL 4513 photos and videos were able to be saved/found and moved over to my pc.

    You need a card reader and some patience,

    here is the link
    http://www.z-a-recovery.com/digital-image-recovery.htm

    MUST READ-- when you do the move/copy do not use your SD card as the backup- always move it to the computer !!!, if you try to restore it on the card- it will corrupt for good!

    ------

    I myself am not sure how 'legit' this may be, since I haven't been able to search about it or even try the link yet.
    Does anyone know if this possible method of recovering corrupted video and picture files really works? I'm tempted to try it out real soon; but that may have to wait until another time...
    If anyone is planning to try it: just remember to BACK UP the files you'll want to recover, just in case! If I find it to seem legit, I'll plan to copy all of the files for recovery and test the program out. If I do manage to try it out, I'll let your guys know!


    Finally, sorry for the super extremely long reply! Aahhh! :P

    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
  20. #45  

    Default Re: Micro SD Card Corruption Issues

    I bought a 32GB PNY Class 10 Micro SDHC Card for my SII (yes, TWO) and I have the same issue. I am, however, running with a custom ROM.

    The micro SD card works flawlessly reading and writing when inserted into an HP laptop. I used the h2testw (http://androidforums.com/gome-flytou...sh-drives.html) to test the entire 32 GB of the micro SD card using a Windows 7 laptop. No errors and more than satisfactory write speed (~16 MB/s).
  21. #46  

    Default Re: Micro SD Card Corruption Issues

    i can notice that we all have the same problem with the sd card.can we forward this issue to samsung/android? its so frustrating not able to use sd card on this smartfone.
  22. #47  

    Default Re: Micro SD Card Corruption Issues

    I upgraded from a S1, where I had very few picture file corruptions, to a S4. I transferred the same SD card I was using into the new phone (after backing up the contents). 2 months of happy use, then one morning I woke up to discover the phone had turned off overnight. When I turned the phone back on, the SD card was corrupted. Replaced it with a spare, and within 2 days that one was dead too.
    I rang my phone carrier, who transferred me to Samsung, who assured me that they had never heard of this problem before - and no suggestions on cause ir fix. I think it could be arcing.
    That was the first week of Oct. I don't have an SD card in at all at the moment. I don't want to rely on one until they sort this out.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #48  

    Default Re: Micro SD Card Corruption Issues

    I'm wondering if this problem is very prevalent to most S4 users or not. I sister hasn't experienced any issues with hers yet (although she barely knows how to use it or save onto it...).

    Also, I have experienced the corruption issue one again the past few days. I would take just a few photos of something and realize that some of the photos have become corrupt not too long after. I'm absolutely confused as to what specifically causes this annoying problem. :\

    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
  24. #49  

    Default Re: Micro SD Card Corruption Issues

    Get a Samsung sd card and most if not all your problems will go away. Had same issues with sandisk and Polaroid cards in s4. Read somewhere to get Samsung card, did and haven't had any problems from s4 or N3. Read somewhere sandisk formatted for windows only??? and that was causing problems. Also read sandisk had a bad batch of cards at some point last year. Samsung cards are a little pricey comparatively but if you want external memory to work its worth it. I know there are a lot of threads concerning Samsung phones and sd cards with a thousand suggestions. This one worked for me.

    ATT N3
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #50  

    Default Re: Micro SD Card Corruption Issues

    To add more information about the problem, I've noticed that when I have my photos automatically upload to Dropbox or Google+ after taking pictures, the photos that become corrupt are also corrupt online. This is telling me that the corruption of the files is pretty fast, or that the uploading is just slow or late.

    If it is the latter, then the speed of uploading after taking a photo is at fault. However, if the files are becoming corrupt before even uploading, then this may mean that the photos are possibly ruined instantaneously right after taking the photo (although, some instances contradict that claim...).

    Just an FYI!

    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. WTS: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (Tmobile) 64GB micro SD card Class 10 included
    By stockandroidguy in forum The Marketplace - Buy, Sell & Trade
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-24-2013, 05:10 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-17-2013, 09:21 PM
  3. ClockworkMod Touch doesn't see my External SD
    By flyer146 in forum Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-17-2013, 09:10 PM

Posting Permissions