Google Services Battery Drain

LegoNoffie

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Yes, another post about this. Yes, I've disabled location and GPS and everything I can think of that I've read about. My drain from services is at a whopping 72%. Please advise.

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes, another post about this. Yes, I've disabled location and GPS and everything I can think of that I've read about. My drain from services is at a whopping 72%. Please advise.
Have you disabled "Access location" in the Location section of the Google settings app? Have you checked to see which, if any, Google apps are running in the background?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
First of all, make sure that the 72% is really whopping... What I mean is, is the 72% after a full charge has been depleted or after it dropped to 90% and you happened to check the stats then?

That being said, it's no excuse for Google Services to not break down what it's doing properly. Sure, Google Now and their Location Services (it does, after all, constantly poll for your location to work its magic) is usually the main culprit, BUT there may be other factors.

Here's what worked for me. First go to Settings/Application Manager/All Tab and find Google Services (Or Play Services, can't recall how it is named). Click on it and Uninstall Updates. Reboot. Then, either manually update Google Services if you can find it in the Play Store (some people can't, don't know why) or just try to open something like Google Hangouts and it will immediately ask you to update.

That brought down the consumption rate for that service for me. Sure, it came back after a couple of weeks but rinse and repeat, and it's down to notevenonmylistanymore.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

Why do you feel the need to make "another post about this"? Is it not effective enough to post in one of the numerous threads already created discussing the exact same issue? There's not any brand new information that someone is going to offer you here...it's all been discussed to death in the other threads. If NOTHING works for you, then maybe a factory reset is your best option.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Usually Google Now is the biggest gobbler, and it does vary if you're on the move a lot or if your location cannot be set accurately (i.e. shady location reports from cell towers). In most cases, disabling Google Now gives you about 40% more battery life than without it, especially the first few weeks when it's 'learning' your moves. But some users are reporting Google Services shooting up the consumption chart even with Google Now being turned off. For most (myself included) uninstalling/re-installing Google Services' updates fixed the issue.

JaiHook

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't have the S4 but I stubmled upon this thread while searching around about what is causing the battery drain on my Note 2. I am on my 2nd replacement Note 2 (3rd phone if you count the original). The issue didn't start until I received the 2 replacements. I am at a loss. I have the WakeLock app but don't really understand it. All I see is google services eating up my battery. I have uninstalled and disabled just about everything but I should not have to do all of that.

To all of you complaining about your 12+ hour battery life....this is my current situation: https://plus.google.com/photos/1000...s/5928874346964324433?authkey=CP3TlZ3C2JXTnAE

MaccaBird

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. My battery life has been fantastic since i got the phone in May. Maybe once when I first got it, I had the Maps issue that was draining my battery. I fixed that one, but out of no where the past few days, I've had Google Services draining my battery.

EDIT: I just checked my battery usage. Maybe 10 minutes ago it had Google Services second after my screen. However (and this is weird), now it has says "Phone" as first, with android OS after, then screen, then google services. I'm not sure why the phone popped up way to the top. I haven't called anyone all day.

aardvarkgeo

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I had an update a couple of days ago, and my battery doesn't seem the same anymore. The drain just seems so much faster. Anyone else having this issue?

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I had an update a couple of days ago, and my battery doesn't seem the same anymore. The drain just seems so much faster. Anyone else having this issue?

Perhaps the update changed some services running in the background. Check your battery usage %s and running apps/services.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Try uninstalling Google Services' updates. Reboot, and then either manually re-install the updates or let an app like Hangouts (try to open it, it'll do the trick) do it for you.

seenk

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
The first 2 days I had my phone (2 weeks ago) google services was killing my battery always over 50% of battery drain.

What fixed mine was turning off a few services.
Go to settings -> accounts -> google -> click on your google account
I unchecked sync google play movies and sync google play music​

This seemed to work for me, I can make a full day now using the phone quite a bit.

aardvarkgeo

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice. I have been monitoring it, and the drain seems to come from the screen. When using the screen for anything - movies, games and even just browsing or reading emails - the drain can be up to 30% per hour. I have set it to low brightness. Any ideas? How do I revert back to previous firmware if I need to?

Yathani

May 21, 2013
Visit site
This is an easy fix

Google settings app> Location > Turn off Location reporting and Turn off Location History.

thank me later

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
praestrudtulle