Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S4-I9505-Half of the photos i took appear corrupted

Half of the photos i took appear corrupted and display the same photo whereas in the preview, they display the correct photo. Is there any way to fix it?

Here are some examples, the preview and the photo displayed is different, and the 3 photos are the same:

Default Re: Galaxy S4-I9505-Half of the photos i took appear corrupted

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaLow View Post
    Half of the photos i took appear corrupted and display the same photo whereas in the preview, they display the correct photo. Is there any way to fix it?

Here are some examples, the preview and the photo displayed is different, and the 3 photos are the same:

http://i.imgur.com/SMkUFG9.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Zaw9mtg.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fxDeNa1.jpg
    I can't tell exactly what's going on, but I think it's an image viewing app problem. Try clearing the cache on the viewing app, or disable it then re-enable it. Also, you could try a different viewing app.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yeap same issue, i cleared cache, cleared memory data and disabled it. Then re enabled it, still same issue.

Try using My Files or another file manager app to navigate to your image folder, and see if you can tell what's going on with the actual image files. Your image files will typically be in a folder called DCIM; if they're from the phone's camera they'll probably be in a subfolder of DCIM called Camera.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Used My Files and Connected the phone to the computer, both ways showed the same series of corrupted images. So my photos corrupted?

Used My Files and Connected the phone to the computer, both ways showed the same series of corrupted images. So my photos corrupted?
    It looks like they are, although that usually shows up as areas of the image that are just streaky colored lines. How about uploading one of them to dropbox so we can take a look at it?

Posted via Android Central App
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (Verizon - SCH-I545) - Android 4.3
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

That's an extremely weird issue. It looks like some of the data was displaced when the photos were converted to JPEG. I suspect it's an issue with the camera app's conversion engine, and not the gallery.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by STSVA View Post
    That's an extremely weird issue. It looks like some of the data was displaced when the photos were converted to JPEG. I suspect it's an issue with the camera app's conversion engine, and not the gallery.
    Yea really weird..so there's no way of retrieving the correct photos?

Yea really weird..so there's no way of retrieving the correct photos?
    Not if what you posted to Dropbox are the actual image files as saved by the camera.

Posted via Android Central App
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (Verizon - SCH-I545) - Android 4.3

Are you storing the photos on a micro sd? if so it's possible you have a bad sd card that's the only thing I can think of.

I agree with doohsun I had a corrupted sd card
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by doohsun View Post
    Are you storing the photos on a micro sd? if so it's possible you have a bad sd card that's the only thing I can think of.
    Nope using phone internal memory, no SD Card.

Wow i thought i was the only one with this problem. I am getting the same thing. In the thumb nail you see the whole picture, but when you open it, half is grey. Second, today i took a movie of a helicopter in the air. When i played it back, it was OK. A few moments went by and a friend wanted to see it. I went to gallery and touched the thumb nail. When the picture opened i saw the large circle with the arrow. I touched the center and the movie started to play. About thirty seconds went by when all the sudden it stopped and a notice came up saying. This video cant be played. Whats going on?

This happened to me a few weeks ago when I was taking pictures at a concert... it was like the same photo kept showing up over and over when I hooked it up to the pc.. it was corrupted also. I transferred all the pictures that it would let me over to a file on the PC then formated my sd card and I haven't had a problem since.

Hi, I got my phone March 2014 and just last Sunday when I took some pictures, they are either all gray or half gray. It's the original sd card that came with the phone and I JUST bought the phone. All my past pictures are fine and I've taken several other pictures and they are fine. Why is it just them!

Max Bear, sounds like we are having the same problem. Took a short video last week and only about 4 of the 30 seconds play and I get the error that this video can't be saved. I also have the gray pictures but the thumbnail is fine.

I guess this is something ANDROID related and not phone/brand related. Some Update on android is screwing the pictures, as this has happen to me also (corrupted pictures either totally grey o half grey) and i have a NEXUS 4, but it is happening to my gf and my brothers phone also, they have a Huawei P6 and a Galaxy S3 respectively.

So lets hope that we can find the solution, for now i am backing up my pictures with google plus just to be safe!

Exclamation Re: Galaxy S4-I9505-Half of the photos i took appear corrupted

Has anyone received a solution for this problem? Please post as i need help urgently

Unhappy Re: Galaxy S4-I9505-Half of the photos i took appear corrupted

I'm having the same issue on my S4. I contacted Samsung via chat and they remotely access my phone and pc. Still could not fix the problem.

I am having this same issue on my S4 too :-(

Hello, I've been studying JPEG headers (DHT tables, SOI, and all the other fun stuff) formats and errors to make a tool to help fix corrupt images.

If you have some samples you would like to know if they are fixable I am eric at codecancare . com happy to help out.

Happy to give them a shot, looks like some extra data got added that has shifted and offset the image data.

Thanks, and hope the day goes well other then the image issues.

-Eric

Hi all,

I think if you open the camera with the shortcut from the lock screen that makes the images corrupt.
    So since there was new android update of 5.0.1 shortcut to camera directly has done the job of corrupting the images.
    It is highly likely that this behaviour stays when you unlock the phone in traditional way and open the camera app and take picture.

Now its samsung's (or androids) job to fix this problem and find the solutions for all.

hope it helps.

This is not the case (opening the camera from the lock screen). My photos corrupted and I never accessed my camera that way. Furthermore, the camera issue was the beginning of the end. I have an S4 running 4.4.4. I was able to get some functionality back for a few months by wiping the cache and doing a factory reset but a host of other problems have since appeared. No sound whatsoever. Video function does not work. Camera fails. I can text, use the internet and FB, but pretty much the camera, anything sound related including the phone are out. So frustrating. Such an expensive phone. Clearly an Android issue. When I got the phone it came with Jelly Bean. At some point it updated to Kitkat and I think that's when the issues started multiplying. Apparently there is no way to roll back. I'm livid that Android broke my phone.