Display cracked while in my pocket

fit4ever#AC

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday morning the display on my Samsung Galaxy S4 cracked while it was in either the front pocket or cargo pocket of a loose-fitting pair of cargo shorts. The only other item with it in the front pocket was a Chapstick. The display side was facing toward my leg. I carried a Motorola Atrix II like this for 3 years and never had a problem. I've only had the phone about 2 months.

The only thing I can figure is either I leaned against something (the counter or the seat of my truck), or I twisted or bent it somewhat while taking it out of my pocket. Just prior to noticing the problem I started to place it in the cargo pocket but then changed my mind. While pulling it back out I remember my hand getting slightly stuck and putting a small amount of pressure on the phone (certainly not enough for me to have been concerned about).

The crack actually seems to be in the display itself, as I can't physically feel the crack in the glass. The crack runs horizontally across the middle of the screen in a shallow S shape. It does not run all the way to either end, but stops short about a 1/4 inch from either edge of the screen.

This phone seems very fragile. I was just thinking the other day about how my dad carries his iPhone in his back pocket and sits on it, and my wife did the same thing with her S3 before she gave it to my son, who always carries it in his front pocket. Of course I didn't buy the protection plan, because it's extremely rare for me to damage anything. Looks like I'll be out $200+ to repair it. The touch screen isn't working quite right now. I get a lot of extra i's while typing, and the swipe to unlock only works if you swipe in the top half of the screen, not to mention the discoloration where the crack is.

Last edited:

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi and welcome to Android Central's forums! If its seems like the crack is in the SAMOLED itself I've ready a couple of threads like this, also from folks that had the phone in their pocket. I'm not sure what about being in a pocket that would cause the display to crack. Heat & moisture together? I'm sorry for that happened, $200 is a Galaxy Tab 7 :(

thetinachen

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Wait doesnt the phone come with warrenty for 1 year? (Not an extra protection plan) you could try contacting samsung before you pay for a repair

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Wait doesnt the phone come with warrenty for 1 year? (Not an extra protection plan) you could try contacting samsung before you pay for a repair

See the linked thread in my post above (yes, I know it's a long thread...you can probably skip to the end and work backwards or search), there are posts there describing the warranty/return process, and the success folks are having with it.

fit4ever#AC

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

I've contacted Samsung. They've offered to repair it for $200. While I'm not thrilled about paying that, it's cheaper than I can buy a replacement display, and I don't have to worry about (me) breaking something else while attempting the repair, or voiding the warranty because I took it apart. If I broke it (dropped it, got it wet, etc.), I'd suck it up and move on. However, in this case, I don't consider carrying a cell phone in a relatively loose pocket to be "not being careful with it".

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
This appears to be a trending issue; perhaps at some point someone will start a class action lawsuit if Samsung keeps denying warranty coverage for something that appears to be a design and/or manufacturing defect. People in the U.S. might also consider contacting their state attorney general's office (look for something like consumer protection division).

cindylee60

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Sorry...I know I'd be so upset if I broke my S4! I've read here where people have been lucky enough to get Samsung to treat it as a warranty repair, so definitely try that.

That said, I wince when I see someone carrying their phone in their pants pocket. My son does it with his Motorola Razr HD and it gives me a chill everytime I see it because he doesn't carry insurance on it. He does it because he's never broken a phone this way. The Razr has a screen nearly as big as the S4, but it has more of a bezel. Still, it just seems like a foolish risk to me.

The S4 is an almost 3" x 5.5" peice of glass a practically no bezel. Please don't expect it to be as durable as an older 2" X 3" display with a centimeter of bezel all the way around like the old Droids...and carry insurance!! I even saw a news story the other day that declared the S4 the most delicate phone on the market today and I believe it.