Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bdmridgback
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Default S4 Replacement Glass Adhesive

I'm one of the unlucky people that have shattered the glass on my S4. It's just the glass, the screen and digitizer are in working condition(I've been using the phone since Saturday with no issues whatsoever). I've seen enough videos that show replacement instructions, and I've done enough mobile device repairs to feel comfortable doing this myself. I've never done just the glass though, it's always been the whole screen assembly. At roughly $300, that's not an option at the moment. I've elected to try replacing the glass myself.

In the kit I ordered, I got a new, precut layer of adhesive. I realize I should carefully remove the old adhesive and make sure the digitizer and screen are spotless before continuing. What I'd like to know is if anyone else has used these precut adhesive layers before, and is there a trick to this? I also see that there are cutouts on the adhesive; anything I need to know about these?

Assuming I get less than ideal results, I don't think it would hurt spending the $130 to ship the phone off to have this done professionally, even after an attempt at it. Any thoughts on this?

Any help is much appreciated!
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,903 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: S4 Replacement Glass Adhesive

Quote Originally Posted by lkhetzel View Post
    I'm one of the unlucky people that have shattered the glass on my S4. It's just the glass, the screen and digitizer are in working condition(I've been using the phone since Saturday with no issues whatsoever). I've seen enough videos that show replacement instructions, and I've done enough mobile device repairs to feel comfortable doing this myself. I've never done just the glass though, it's always been the whole screen assembly. At roughly $300, that's not an option at the moment. I've elected to try replacing the glass myself.

In the kit I ordered, I got a new, precut layer of adhesive. I realize I should carefully remove the old adhesive and make sure the digitizer and screen are spotless before continuing. What I'd like to know is if anyone else has used these precut adhesive layers before, and is there a trick to this? I also see that there are cutouts on the adhesive; anything I need to know about these?

Assuming I get less than ideal results, I don't think it would hurt spending the $130 to ship the phone off to have this done professionally, even after an attempt at it. Any thoughts on this?

Any help is much appreciated!
    Can you post pics of the adhesive layer?
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

S4 Replacement Glass Adhesive-s4_adhesive.jpg

I tried to get the cutouts visible.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,903 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S4_adhesive.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	163.2 KB 
ID:	83215

I tried to get the cutouts visible.
    They look like cutouts for various sensors and contact points. I've never replaced just the glass on the phone, but I would imagine it's just tedious, if not more so, than putting on a screen protector. You'll want a completely dust free environment and make sure to get all (ALL) of the old glue off. Any glue remaining will most likely show through on the install of the new glass.

Good luck!

That looks like the adhesive pad that goes on the back of the entire screen/digitizer to hold it in the phone frame. All the adhesive pads I have seen/installed only go around the outer perimeter of screen with sensor and button cutouts. That pad there shows it has a cutout right in the screen area. That don't work!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app
    Kevin O'Quinn likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bdmridgback View Post
    That looks like the adhesive pad that goes on the back of the entire screen/digitizer to hold it in the phone frame. All the adhesive pads I have seen/installed only go around the outer perimeter of screen with sensor and button cutouts. That pad there shows it has a cutout right in the screen area. That don't work!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app
    Indeed it was. I did a bit more research.

Unfortunately, the glass replacement did not go so well. Even after 3 slow hours, I managed to wreck the screen itself. The phone boots fine, I even hear the notifications go off if I send it an email. My beloved S4 will now be heading to a repair center, because I'm not making it worse than it is already. Anyone know if the menu/back buttons are part of the whole screen assembly, or is that yet another part I will have to replace?

TL;DR: Replacing just the glass on your S4 is not for the faint of heart. 0/10 would not attempt again.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,903 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Indeed it was. I did a bit more research.

Unfortunately, the glass replacement did not go so well. Even after 3 slow hours, I managed to wreck the screen itself. The phone boots fine, I even hear the notifications go off if I send it an email. My beloved S4 will now be heading to a repair center, because I'm not making it worse than it is already. Anyone know if the menu/back buttons are part of the whole screen assembly, or is that yet another part I will have to replace?

TL;DR: Replacing just the glass on your S4 is not for the faint of heart. 0/10 would not attempt again.
    Ahh man. Sorry to hear that.