Mobile Hotspot Does Not Work - Unlocked AT&T S4

LangleyGuy

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I have an unlocked AT&T S4 and I can not get the hotspot to work. It just says, invalid sim. What is the work around for this issue?

Thanks

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

I have an unlocked AT&T S4 and I can not get the hotspot to work. It just says, invalid sim. What is the work around for this issue?

Thanks

It only gives you that error when you try to use the hotspot? My guess would be that AT&T is blocking it, since it's something you have to pay for separately from your data plan.

MaxRusky

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Same problem on my &T&T fully paid for Mega 6.3 Unlocked, Jelly bean 4.2.2. I am in Europe and on another network, data comes in fine, but no hotspot or tethering will be allowed, though providers here allow it! The phone is fully paid, and unlocked should be unlocked with all the important components working! Don't want to root. ATT customers in U.S. are told they must be on tethering plan. But my phone is UNLOCKED and I am in Europe right now teaching at university. Any suggestions!

ps no other apps will make hotspot work but foxfi does make the tethering USB work. But I want the hotspot, obviously!

None of the many handy phone companies in the EU do this crap! They all unlock immediately, they don't mess with the phones components and cripple important features!

It might be one thing while you are on an AT&T contract. but this is paid for ATT unlocked phone!

same message:

No mobile data available or invalid sim card!

the same card works fine with hotspot in my wife's Note on ICS.

Thanks for any information or suggestions you could offer!

briananthony

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
This is great for S4 phone but what is the workaround for the Galaxy Mega does anyone know? There has to be one. I tried to do what was prescribed for the S4 but Mega doesn't list At&t Hotspot on it's app list. Downloading a different hotspot doesn't work. Went through a successful unlocking of At&t Mega only to find hotspot no longer works but determined to find answer that solves this issue. Thanks!

William Reis

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi I have the same problem with my unlocked Mega. I was told that the only way to get around this issue was to root my phone but I do not want to do that. have you found any updates on how to get the hotspot to work. Thanks

baljinder707

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: Mobile Hotspot Does Not Work - Unlocked AT&T S4

Go to setting and change the name of your hotspot and set the password before turning it on. Then turn it on once you have changed the wifi name and password... it should work

Gary15987

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I own S4 AT&T and now I have successfully enabled Hotspot :)
1. Go to Settings --> More --> Tab on Application Manager
2. Go to All tab(By scrolling Vertically)
3. Find AT&T Hot Spots and click it
4. When App info opens, click Turn off
Now AT&T Hotspot is turned off.
now follow the direction on this website. It is very simple
How to Hack Your Samsung Galaxy S4 into a Free Wireless Hotspot ? Samsung GS4 softModder

Good luck
I tried this method and root is required. I have already upgraded to android 4.3 so geohot's activeroot does not work. Have you by chance found another method for us?

myoki

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I got my HTC one unlocked from AT&T and now with T-Mobile which provides free hot spot tethering unlike AT&T.
But when I turn on the hot spot, it jus shows processing image and doesn't get on.
HTC cust care says the device is for AT&T and we do not guarantee the functionalities 100% with other carriers.
AT&T and T-Mobile guys are helpless in this . Finally the customer is affected.

myhamstring

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm also experiencing this problem, and T-Mobile has been unable to provide me with any answers on support chat and multiple phone calls. I wasn't aware this would be an issue and I'm left holding a wifi tablet I can't connect anymore.

switchedgear

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
5) Get ES File Explorer from the Play Store. Tap the hard key for menu, scroll down and tap on Net Manager. Tap on Settings at the bottom, select 'Use the system AP setting', enter an SSID (recommended to be short with no spaces, like 'MyName_GS4_Active'), and a password. Tap on OK. Tap on the back button. Tap on 'Create a hotspot network'. It will say 'Establishing Network...turning on', followed by 'Now you are using AP, SSID is...', AP password:, and an 'Exit' button. It may say 'Unfortunately, Settings has stopped' after this, but IGNORE it. Your hotspot is still active - look at the top left of the phone, you will see a wifi symbol in a blue icon, this is your indication that your hotspot is working. WORKS PERFECT!

bizzle

May 23, 2014
Visit site
This worked great for me thank you!
I just had to disconnect from my existing connection to make 'Create a hotspot network' available.
(I have a SG3.)

stevestebo

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
This still does not work. Still getting the mobile data is unavailable or invalid sim. I do not have the privilege to root my device, b/c the note 3 from AT&T is still locked down. Is there anything else that will work?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freyon77