Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Angry Galaxy S4 "Camera Failed" pop-up

My galaxy s4's screen was damaged and I got it replaced. They originally forgot to re-plug the front camera back in and I was getting the 'camera failed' pop up. Now I went back and they plugged it in, the camera worked for them, but the minute i took it home it stopped working and started saying 'camera failed' again. I have completely re-booted the phone 4 times (and i mean wiping it completely clean and starting over) and constantly restart it but nothing works. They said that all they can think of doing is replacing the camera on the front even though it clearly was working for a little bit. Has anyone else had this problem? Did you find a solution?

I really want to fix this because it makes the entire camera function (even the back camera) completely spaz out! I cannot use it on any apps if it automatically goes to the front camera without me clicking to change it. then the app shuts down completely Someone please help!!!

Global Posts
    8,105 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Galaxy S4 "Camera Failed" pop-up

You can open system settings > applications > camera app (don't know the exact name, might be twcamera.apk) and clear cache/data. See if that helps. If not, then it's very possible that something is damaged and/or was disconnected afterwards. Have them check it for looseness and/or damage.

What srkmagnus said. And make sure they connect the ribbon cables. If these things don't work, they probably damaged your camera hardware during repair. Best thing to do is watch a video from ifixit and make sure everything is as it should be.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Sorry, forgot to mention I did clear the cache several times too. Even when I left they said all the cables are connected since it did turn on at one point and literally as they handed it over and I checked it out in the parking lot, it was back to the way I brought it in as. I feel like there are no other options and you guys are right, Ill have to get a new one. I'll have to make sure I'm not the one who is paying for it either!

I got it fixed by following these steps:

1. Connect your device to your laptop using data cable
    2. Go to folder: Computer\SAMSUNG-SGH-I747\Phone\Applidium Image Cache
    3. Delete everything in this folder
    4. Go to folder: Computer\SAMSUNG-SGH-I747\Phone\Android\data\com.sec.android.gallery3d\cache
    5. Delete everything in this folder
    6. Restart your phone
    7. Camera works

Thumbs up Re: Galaxy S4 "Camera Failed" pop-up

Anuj, thank you so so much for your post! I just got the phone less than 6 months ago and was so heartbroken to know that camera has stopped working. I took it to Verizon and they couldn't do anything. They said they can get me a refurbished phone. Umm, someone explain to me just why I should get a refurbished phone when I paid for a new one!!!! Anyway, so i decided to Google and see if Google has an answer for me and found this post. I followed your instructions and ta-da, my camera is working!!!!
    Thank you once again! You made my holidays!

Please I'm using windows 8 and i do not know how to locate the folder; Computer\SAMSUNG-SGH-I747\Phone\Applidium Image Cache.
    can you please help me out
    Thank you

I tried your fix and it worked, but i find i have to keep going in and doing it again? did you have this problem as well? any other tips would be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Kofi25 View Post
    Please I'm using windows 8 and i do not know how to locate the folder; Computer\SAMSUNG-SGH-I747\Phone\Applidium Image Cache.
    can you please help me out
    Thank you

I'm having the same problem. I can not locate this folder/files.

If you can't fix "Camera failed" by Hard / Factory reset, upgrade or change firmware, you must to replace rear facing camera module. This part you can find easy on eBay.

Video tutorial:
    --------------------------------------

--------------------------------------

i have the same problem. i can't fin the Computer\SAMSUNG-SGH-I747\Phone\Applidium Image Cache folder.

lemme know if u fix this problem

Im going to chime in on this. My s4 started doing this after I updated to kitkat. Drove me nuts. 2-3 factory resets, nummerus chache clears and even a tech chat with samsung. And low and behold I figured it out. It was a flash light app that was causing my camera app to crash. The app that was causing my problems was Flashlight by Go Launcher Dev Team. So you may want to remove any apps that have camera access one at a time and see if this stops the camera failed crashing.