Why is the S4 Not Recognizing All Music on SD Card ?

Drpepper99uk

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I've just bought a nice shiny new S4. Having had my music on my Mac I decide to transfer it onto my S4's nice 64GB micro sd card using the Kies software. I then wait for all the albums to be imported and then put onto the phone via the software....this is where the aggravation begins...I know album folders which are all named by the artist and then if you open them up, they sometimes contain other albums all in mp3 format. I also have just albums titled by either album name or artist. What I'm getting is only maybe 1 or 2 songs listed in the music player(the same goes for rocket player) in each album when looking on the phone...why the hell is this happening. I never had this issue on my BlackBerry Z10...that was a cinch as I just plugged it in, it was recognised as a storage device(something which this S4 isn't) and I could just drag and drop music onto it and it would sort itself out....unlike this thing which is seriously annoying me now as I thought all the shortcomings of it were sorted by now...clearly not!!

Mike.

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
The S4 can be plugged in and treated as a storage device. You can drag songs right on to the SD card.

I wouldn't mess with Kies, which is horrible software (IMO).

Drpepper99uk

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Well, what's happening is that after creating a folder called "Media" I can now drag and drop stuff onto the memory card and it imports it to the storage card...problem is that some of the albums are going into the unknown album folder despite the fact they are labelled correctly...why is this happening?

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
some of the albums are going into the unknown album folder despite the fact they are labelled correctly...why is this happening?

That part sounds like an mp3 tag issue. Just because your album folder lists the song names doesn't mean it's mp3 tagged. Try the iTag app and retag an album full of songs, rescan the folder through your music player and see if it pops it out of 'unknown'.

Posted via Android Central App

ladyhaly

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Well, what's happening is that after creating a folder called "Media" I can now drag and drop stuff onto the memory card and it imports it to the storage card...problem is that some of the albums are going into the unknown album folder despite the fact they are labelled correctly...why is this happening?

It's an mp3tag issue. Happens on every modern device I know from lowly mp3 players to iPod Touch.

First of all, calm down. You don't really need to create a "Media" folder for the S4. You can create any folder you like whether on the Internal SD Card or the Extension SD Card (microSD), drag and drop media files whether music or video and the phone's software will automatically pick it up.

However, if you torrent your music or just grab the audio from YouTube, most likely your files won't have proper file tagging. On your PC, use the free program mp3tag to correct this. You probably just never noticed the issue since your BlackBerry played music on a folder basis without a care for the album cover. I know the same thing happened to me when I had a Sony k850i 9 years ago.

So just correct them. It will be worth it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

PDADoctor

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I have this problem as well, from time to time. I think it might have something to do with Android in general, or (in my case) Player Pro. I rip and tag my own music using Tag&Rename, extensively inputting all the information and album art myself. But even with that, sometimes a properly tagged album will end up in the unknown category, even though it's properly tagged. Now, I'm using an Galaxy S III, not an S4, but it seems to happen nonetheless.

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I rip and tag my own music using Tag&Rename, extensively inputting all the information and album art myself.

Interesting, that's the same program I use on the pc.
After you rip them they are going into the unknown folder or after you scan the folder with you're media player.
I'm guessing the later but just double checking.
I haven't experienced this, are they usually various artists type albums or its just random? If you rescan the folder the same files are put into unknown or different random ones?

PDADoctor

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Interesting, that's the same program I use on the pc.
After you rip them they are going into the unknown folder or after you scan the folder with you're media player.
I'm guessing the later but just double checking.
I haven't experienced this, are they usually various artists type albums or its just random? If you rescan the folder the same files are put into unknown or different random ones?

It only happens on the Galaxy S III and the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 through Player Pro during the scan for music files in the specific folder I point the app to (in my case, the eponymous "music"). Nowhere else does this happen. It's not a wholesale thing in my case, usually just two or three albums at the most, but it is annoying.

Drpepper99uk

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi again,

Thanks for the replies. I have managed to get this sorted out by transferring a fair few albums to the internal memory and guess what-no problems whatsoever..all albums correctly identified and shown as such. So I'm kinda thinking it's either an micro sd card issue, or there's something not right in the transfer process in the way they are seen on the S4 for this to keep happening.

Mike.

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I might even try reformatting the card while it's in the phone and see if that helps. After you've moved everything off it first of course.

TBax04

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I was had the same issue. Reformatting you SD Card does the trick. Just make sure to move any apps back to your internal storage before formatting, you'll lose them all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo