Samsung Galaxy S4 keeps dimming the screen for no reason. Any help?

jgrayson60

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I am not a noobie when it comes to android phones. I've tried turning off auto brightness turning off the auto adjust screen tone. Nothing seems to work, it just does what it wants. Any help?

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Samsung galaxy s4 keeps dimming the screen for no reason. Any help?

Do you have any other 3rd party screen dimming apps installed?

Also, is there any pattern at all to when it dims? Some browsers have a screen dimming feature while the page is still loading, as a way of conserving battery.

ladyhaly

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

In what instance does this happen? For example, just like what B. Diddy said, some apps have their own brightness feature. For example, apps like MoonReader will dim my scene or brighter depending on how I manually set it within the app, when opened.

Also next time, telling us you're not "noobie" to Android phones doesn't really help. We have no idea what that means and there is no universal definition of what a newbie knows or doesn't know. (Yes, it's spelled as that. Sorry, but the grammar Nazi within me can't resist... People who play computer games online and try to speak l33t spell it as "noob" though.)

So... Next time, what would be most helpful if if you'd enumerate the things you've done to solve your problem. Screenshots would also be helpful.

This applies not just to forums here but also when asking for help from customer service agents.

P.S. Check your utility apps. Apps like Lux are third party and control screen brightness, but there are other utility apps that can utilize the settings. Best to know your apps before installing them.

P. P. S. Sorry for double post. I was trying to edit the post in Tapatalk but turns out I hit the quote button.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

jgrayson60

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

In what instance does this happen? For example, just like what B. Diddy said, some apps have their own brightness feature. For example, apps like MoonReader will dim my scene or brighter depending on how I manually set it within the app, when opened.

Also next time, telling us you're not "noobie" to Android phones doesn't really help. We have no idea what that means and there is no universal definition of what a newbie knows or doesn't know. (Yes, it's spelled as that. Sorry, but the grammar Nazi within me can't resist... People who play computer games online and try to speak l33t spell it as "noob" though.)

So... Next time, what would be most helpful if if you'd enumerate the things you've done to solve your problem. Screenshots would also be helpful.

This applies not just to forums here but also when asking for help from customer service agents.

P.S. Check your utility apps. Apps like Lux are third party and control screen brightness, but there are other utility apps that can utilize the settings. Best to know your apps before installing them.

P. P. S. Sorry for double post. I was trying to edit the post in Tapatalk but turns out I hit the quote button.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Every time I press either the power button or home button to unlock the phone, it is bright for about a second then it automatically switches to low brightness. It is really annoying when Im outside in the sun because then I can barely see the screen.

Spewy1

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site

I have this problem too. To me it seems heat related. After approximately 10mins on screen time it dims then a minute later goes bright then fluctuates constantly.
I am running stock with all auto settings off and no 3rd party brightness apps although I have tried them to see if they resolve the problem.

jgrayson60

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

I have this problem too. To me it seems heat related. After approximately 10mins on screen time it dims then a minute later goes bright then fluctuates constantly.
I am running stock with all auto settings off and no 3rd party brightness apps although I have tried them to see if they resolve the problem.

I'm going to try putting a custom rom on my phone, to see if that fixes the problem.

acmeseed

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

My S4 just started doing this today, all of a sudden, when I hit the home button to wake up the phone, the screen comes up bright, but it then dimms down.

I don't have any apps to manage the screen, I have not added anything other than the latest Samsung update 2 days ago and added a memory card about a week ago. I have messed around with all the suggested settings, but no luck.My phone does not get hot at all.

Any other ideas? My suspiction is the Samsung update, but I may be wrong.

Thanks.

tcube9

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I have similar issue and need help please.

- - - Updated - - -

did you find a solution to this?

Seabluiris

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site

My samsung s4 has also been dimming and brightening the screen randomly for many months now, despite no other apps controlling the brightness and regardless of whether the brightness setting is on "auto" or manual.

I can be reading a web page or using text or doing nothing (home screen) and the brightness suddenly fades as though the s4 is registering an auto brightness setting for a dark room or night conditions. Then, after anywhere from a minute or 2, up to about 15 minutes, it suddenly goes back to brightest setting, then dims the brightness a couple levels.

My s4 also immediately dims the screen when out in sunlight-extremely frustrating as i cannot use/see screen unless i shade the phone very well. And, no, just turning my back & creating shade w my body is not enough--it's more like i need area of shade at least 4x4 ft before any level of brightness will return. As soon I step back to sunlight, screen dims again as if it were night/low light conditions.

Also, i can never achieve the high brightness level that suddenly occurs when it appears the s4 is "self-correcting" the errant dimming, whether adjusting brightness manually or using the auto brightness feature.

I believe this started after an update. My s4 operates as if it has a mind of its own--or the brightness feature works almost the opposite way it should.

It seems obvious to me that owning a model more than 1 year old is problematic. It's unfortunate because there are a significant number of people (including myself) who wait until their 2 yr upgrades w service provider is avail to get a new phone. Not everyone can afford to buy a new phone every year, nor should they have to even if affordability is not an issue. Yes, some carriers are no longer doing the 2 yr upgrade, but plenty still have it avail--(grandfathered) one last time.

sunflowr72

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site

My samsung s4 has also been dimming and brightening the screen randomly for many months now, despite no other apps controlling the brightness and regardless of whether the brightness setting is on "auto" or manual.

I can be reading a web page or using text or doing nothing (home screen) and the brightness suddenly fades as though the s4 is registering an auto brightness setting for a dark room or night conditions. Then, after anywhere from a minute or 2, up to about 15 minutes, it suddenly goes back to brightest setting, then dims the brightness a couple levels.

My s4 also immediately dims the screen when out in sunlight-extremely frustrating as i cannot use/see screen unless i shade the phone very well. And, no, just turning my back & creating shade w my body is not enough--it's more like i need area of shade at least 4x4 ft before any level of brightness will return. As soon I step back to sunlight, screen dims again as if it were night/low light conditions.

Also, i can never achieve the high brightness level that suddenly occurs when it appears the s4 is "self-correcting" the errant dimming, whether adjusting brightness manually or using the auto brightness feature.

I believe this started after an update. My s4 operates as if it has a mind of its own--or the brightness feature works almost the opposite way it should.

It seems obvious to me that owning a model more than 1 year old is problematic. It's unfortunate because there are a significant number of people (including myself) who wait until their 2 yr upgrades w service provider is avail to get a new phone. Not everyone can afford to buy a new phone every year, nor should they have to even if affordability is not an issue. Yes, some carriers are no longer doing the 2 yr upgrade, but plenty still have it avail--(grandfathered) one last time.

Mine has recently started doing this. I've had the phone for just over a year and I've had nothing but problems with it since I got it. It's honestly the worst phone I've ever had. This is only one of the less irritating issues I've had since getting the phone.

My biggest problem is that the phone will randomly crash for no reason at all. It used to do it anywhere from 5-15 times a day, and the only way to get it to work again (because it wouldn't even turn on again after crashing) is to remove the battery and then turn it back on after putting the battery back in. I finally figured out that it really hates free apps, and that was the biggest thing that was causing it to crash. So I did a factory reset and then downloaded my free apps again, and it was good for about 2 weeks. Then it all started again. So I did a factory reset another few times and again downloaded the apps, and got the same results. Finally I just did a reset and decided I can do without the free apps I wanted. It still does it, although I get up to 3 weeks with no crashes now, then I'll have one full day where it will crash 8-10 times, and then it's good again for another few weeks.

I also find that the phone will just randomly become very hot. If it gets too hot, it wipes my mini SD card. Talk about upsetting! So now if it gets hot, I have to take the whole thing apart and let all the pieces cool completely before putting it back together.

Now the dimming thing has started. I don't have the brightness setting on auto, although I have tried it. And it seems to have no rhyme or reason to it. It is totally random. So I just have to put up with it the way it is until I can save up enough money for a new phone. And although I've never been a fan of Apple products and have flatly refused in the past to follow the masses, my husband had told me that the next phone I get has to be an iPhone, because apparently all his friends that have them say they've never had ANY issues with their phones. They're always shocked to hear the issues I have with my S4. So I guess I'll jump on the wagon with the masses. And then I'll finally be rid of this headache.

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like you have a bad battery connection or bad battery. Clean the battery contacts with a pencil eraser and be sure they are not bent. The phone contacts stick out and are compressed when the battery is inserted. Try another battery if the cleaning does not work!

Dave Jones11

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Try this.. Settings, More,, Battery. On optimization click Detail. Turn off App optimisation.. This only happened to me after updating the phone to Lollipop. Good luck

Last edited:

Kari Suihkonen

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
It's not about bad battery.
My S4 started doing this (eating battery, warming up, dimming) after last OS update about week ago.
Battery would not get bad so suddenly.
Just don't know how to report this to Samsung (whether it would help anything)
Really pity as the phone has been good and relaible so far :(

Kari Suihkonen

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
And one more thing - the internal thermo-/humidity meter stopped functioning.
Doesn't give any readings any more, either with external app or within S-health as before

Spencer Batchelor

Oct 8, 2016
Visit site
I am not a noobie when it comes to android phones. I've tried turning off auto brightness turning off the auto adjust screen tone. Nothing seems to work, it just does what it wants. Any help?

Did you ever figure this out? Mine is doing the same but usually doesn't take as long to brighten. Mine goes dim then immeadley goes bright and does not matter what page I am on.

jeff jacobsen

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Did you ever figure this out? Mine is doing the same but usually doesn't take as long to brighten. Mine goes dim then immeadley goes bright and does not matter what page I am on.
Try going to settings then my device then display scroll down to bottom and unchecked auto ajust screen tone this should stop all the display dimming problems

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo