1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Galaxy S4 keeps dimming the screen for no reason. Any help?

I am not a noobie when it comes to android phones. I've tried turning off auto brightness turning off the auto adjust screen tone. Nothing seems to work, it just does what it wants. Any help?

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-08-2014 at 12:50 PM.

Default Re: Samsung galaxy s4 keeps dimming the screen for no reason. Any help?

Do you have any other 3rd party screen dimming apps installed?

Also, is there any pattern at all to when it dims? Some browsers have a screen dimming feature while the page is still loading, as a way of conserving battery.

In what instance does this happen? For example, just like what B. Diddy said, some apps have their own brightness feature. For example, apps like MoonReader will dim my scene or brighter depending on how I manually set it within the app, when opened.

Also next time, telling us you're not "noobie" to Android phones doesn't really help. We have no idea what that means and there is no universal definition of what a newbie knows or doesn't know. (Yes, it's spelled as that. Sorry, but the grammar Nazi within me can't resist... People who play computer games online and try to speak l33t spell it as "noob" though.)

So... Next time, what would be most helpful if if you'd enumerate the things you've done to solve your problem. Screenshots would also be helpful.

This applies not just to forums here but also when asking for help from customer service agents.

P.S. Check your utility apps. Apps like Lux are third party and control screen brightness, but there are other utility apps that can utilize the settings. Best to know your apps before installing them.

P. P. S. Sorry for double post. I was trying to edit the post in Tapatalk but turns out I hit the quote button.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Sorry for double post. Tapatalk doesn't seem to have delete option for the post available.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhaly View Post
    In what instance does this happen? For example, just like what B. Diddy said, some apps have their own brightness feature. For example, apps like MoonReader will dim my scene or brighter depending on how I manually set it within the app, when opened.

Also next time, telling us you're not "noobie" to Android phones doesn't really help. We have no idea what that means and there is no universal definition of what a newbie knows or doesn't know. (Yes, it's spelled as that. Sorry, but the grammar Nazi within me can't resist... People who play computer games online and try to speak l33t spell it as "noob" though.)

So... Next time, what would be most helpful if if you'd enumerate the things you've done to solve your problem. Screenshots would also be helpful.

This applies not just to forums here but also when asking for help from customer service agents.

P.S. Check your utility apps. Apps like Lux are third party and control screen brightness, but there are other utility apps that can utilize the settings. Best to know your apps before installing them.

P. P. S. Sorry for double post. I was trying to edit the post in Tapatalk but turns out I hit the quote button.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
    Every time I press either the power button or home button to unlock the phone, it is bright for about a second then it automatically switches to low brightness. It is really annoying when Im outside in the sun because then I can barely see the screen.

I have this problem too. To me it seems heat related. After approximately 10mins on screen time it dims then a minute later goes bright then fluctuates constantly.
    I am running stock with all auto settings off and no 3rd party brightness apps although I have tried them to see if they resolve the problem.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Spewy1 View Post
    I have this problem too. To me it seems heat related. After approximately 10mins on screen time it dims then a minute later goes bright then fluctuates constantly.
    I am running stock with all auto settings off and no 3rd party brightness apps although I have tried them to see if they resolve the problem.
    I'm going to try putting a custom rom on my phone, to see if that fixes the problem.

My S4 just started doing this today, all of a sudden, when I hit the home button to wake up the phone, the screen comes up bright, but it then dimms down.

I don't have any apps to manage the screen, I have not added anything other than the latest Samsung update 2 days ago and added a memory card about a week ago. I have messed around with all the suggested settings, but no luck.My phone does not get hot at all.

Any other ideas? My suspiction is the Samsung update, but I may be wrong.

Thanks.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I have similar issue and need help please.

- - - Updated - - -

did you find a solution to this?