Screen Using 49% of Battery Life

scottgoodhill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks,

Posted yesterday about having battery issues (slow to charge and runs out very quickly). After looking into my phone a bit more and a chance discussion with a guy with an S4 yesterday I noticed that my screen is consuming an awful lot of power compared to his even though I have my brightness now on the lowest setting and all "Smart Screen" features turned off. His screen was using only 5% of the battery power whilst my screen is apparently using 49%. I was wondering if anyone knew of any obvious fixes to this or has encountered an issue like this as well? Considered buying a new battery yesterday but if it's related to the screen then could it possibly be a software problem? Any ideas would be helpful!

Cheers gang.

charlee08

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
That's just your screen on time.

If you want to conserve battery life, turn off all location services in Google settings, kill your recently used apps, and under app settings - make sure that there isn't something running that you don't use. Adjusting your screen brightness to a low setting will definitely help as well.

If you're a heavy user then you aren't going to get more than 6-8 hours anyway. But those above tips should help you.

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Screen should always take the most battery... Unless you never use your phone.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

ladyhaly

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
e9yvugy9.jpg

agupe5uq.jpg

Here is mine. I believe yours is pretty normal.

We differ in the ways we use our phones... For one thing, I always have Mobile Data, GPS, and SmartStay on. I also always have my hands on my phone. There is no time that this isn't by my side.

Someone who uses the phone less than me... For example, someone who isn't as app crazed and just likes to look once in a while to send a text or call would have a longer battery life than me.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

lakay2013

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same issue with my S4. I bought it new 4 days ago and have only made a 18 minute call, and sent a few texts today and it shows that my battery is now on 62%. I killed all my apps and made sure smart stay, air view, and the other options are off. I can send a few texts and the battery life drops 2% as I send them. I'm not sure what the deal is.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same issue with my S4. I bought it new 4 days ago and have only made a 18 minute call, and sent a few texts today and it shows that my battery is now on 62%. I killed all my apps and made sure smart stay, air view, and the other options are off. I can send a few texts and the battery life drops 2% as I send them. I'm not sure what the deal is.

What carrier? If your phone is looking for signal that'll eat up battery life quick, as will GPS and bluetooth.

lakay2013

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Verizon. I'm new to Android, I just switched from iPhone. I've been connected to wifi all morning. It shows that my screen is taking up 52% of the battery and I have it on the lowest resolution it will go.

lakay2013

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
That is my battery life without getting on any apps at all since 6:00 AM. I have only made 1 call, a few texts, and checked my email a couple times.

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
That is my battery life without getting on any apps at all since 6:00 AM. I have only made 1 call, a few texts, and checked my email a couple times.

It looks like the screen was on a fair amount of the time - that will use up battery faster than just about anything else.

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Percentage of use really is not that helpful. Get an app called Better Battery Stats. Your phone may have a wake lock running keeping it from sleeping when not in use. I found whenever my battery starts dying fast that a kernel wake lock called msm_camera was the culprit. Only restarting the phone makes it go away.

Sent from the tiny keyboard on my S4

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm only using Juice Defender on my S IV. I think it may help a tiny bit by managing the radios when I'm not using the device.

from my Sony XTZ

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Verizon. I'm new to Android, I just switched from iPhone. I've been connected to wifi all morning. It shows that my screen is taking up 52% of the battery and I have it on the lowest resolution it will go.

Screen should always take the most battery... Unless you never use your phone.

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Anyone using easy battery saver???

or the snapdragon ap?

Do those apps really work????

I've been using Juice Defender, and think it does help. Right now I'm trying out Snapdragon Battery Guru, which some people think is great. I haven't used it long enough to see what it can do.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 83912
View attachment 83913

My battery shows even higher usage but seems to be fine. Can you post a screenshot of your battery usage?

Damn, are you turning off mobile data and all of the features off? The best I have gotten is about 4 and a half hours of screen time and had 1 day and 2 hours without charging. How are you getting 5 and a half hours with 2 days off the charger?

Posted via Android Central App

Galaxia

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Stupid question... What happens when you turn mobile data off? I always thought that was like turning airplane mode off? I'm always in wifi but wanna receive calls and texts. How would turning off mobile data affect that?

Sent from my VZW S4