Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Multiple gmail accounts

I've just gotten the S4 (YAY!) and on my last phone (a Samsung Droid Charge) I could have multiple gmail accounts attached to the gmail app. I cannot figure out how to add another account. Does that option not exist with this new phone?

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks!
  2. Best Answer

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnSapphira View Post
    I've just gotten the S4 (YAY!) and on my last phone (a Samsung Droid Charge) I could have multiple gmail accounts attached to the gmail app. I cannot figure out how to add another account. Does that option not exist with this new phone?

Yeah, you can still do it. With one of the recent updates to gmail app, apparently the ability to add a new account directly from the app has disappeared (I don't think it's a S4 thing, I was able to this from the gmail app on my S4 somewhat recently). What you need to do is go into "Accounts" tab in Settings and add the additional Google account(s) from there, then you will be able to select and open that mailbox from the gmail app.

Default Re: Multiple gmail accounts

Welcome to Android Central! I haven't done it myself, but try going to System Settings/Accounts, and tap Add Account. Then choose Google and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnSapphira View Post

Yeah, you can still do it. With one of the recent updates to gmail app, apparently the ability to add a new account directly from the app has disappeared (I don't think it's a S4 thing, I was able to this from the gmail app on my S4 somewhat recently). What you need to do is go into "Accounts" tab in Settings and add the additional Google account(s) from there, then you will be able to select and open that mailbox from the gmail app.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Fantastic!! Thanks :-D

On mine, if I open the gmail app, then tap the permanent settings/menu icon on the bottom left of the phone, the gmail settings window that opens has an "add account" line at the top right.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (Verizon - SCH-I545) - Android 4.3

Quote Originally Posted by STSVA View Post
    On mine, if I open the gmail app, then tap the permanent settings/menu icon on the bottom left of the phone, the gmail settings window that opens has an "add account" line at the top right.
    My guess is that you're still running an older version of the gmail app. As I mentioned above, until very recently you could do it this way, but after the last gmail update, that option no longer exists.

Google tends to "roll out" their app updates in phases, so you just may not have received it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    My guess is that you're still running an older version of the gmail app. As I mentioned above, until very recently you could do it this way, but after the last gmail update, that option no longer exists.

Google tends to "roll out" their app updates in phases, so you just may not have received it yet.
    That could well be.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (Verizon - SCH-I545) - Android 4.3

Thanks for this. It works but how do I access these accounts?

I was hoping to have separate apps/icons so they could monitor these accounts and tell me when I receive incoming emails so I am not logging out/logging in all the time to check them. Though, mind you like I said initially, I cannot find out where these email accounts are to access them.

ps: 2 are work related, so not gmail.

As the first answer said, go into your Android Settings.

Tap Accounts

Tap the plus sign or "Add Account"

Type in the additional email addresses.

When you look at your Gmail tap the very top left above your inbox messages. This opens the page where you can switch to a different Gmail account.

If it isn't Gmail then I don't know what to advise.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you!! I've been trying to figure this out for about 3 days.

I am at the accounts tab in Google accounts. I can see my existing accounts and want to add another. I don't see any option to do so. not by clicking anyh button or seeing anything onscreen. Any help would be great. thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by F Kenneth Vudmaska View Post
    I am at the accounts tab in Google accounts. I can see my existing accounts and want to add another. I don't see any option to do so. not by clicking anyh button or seeing anything onscreen. Any help would be great. thank you.
    ""As the first answer said, go into your Android Settings.

Tap Accounts

Tap the plus sign or "Add Account" ""

See post no 9 and no 1 for more deatil
    SM-N910F 4.4.4 stock
    I-9500 4.4.2 rooted and cleaned.
    SM-P605 4.4.2 stock